Question regarding imaginary numbers and euler's formula

In summary, the equation e^{ix} = cos(x) + i\ sin(x) = 1 + 0i = 1 has an infinite number of solutions, all of the form x = 2 \pi n. The two you brought up, x=0 and x = 2 \pi are just the ones where n = 0 and 1 respectively.
elvishatcher
So, I was thinking about Euler's formula, and I noticed something interesting. Based on the fact that [tex]e^\frac{i\pi}{2} = 1 [/tex], it seems as though [tex]\frac{i\pi}{2} = 0[/tex]. However, this doesn't make any sense. Not only can I not see how this expression could possibly equal 0, but that would imply that [tex]i\pi = 0[/tex] which would in turn imply that [tex]e^{i\pi} = 1[/tex] when it, of course, is equal to -1. At the moment, I have only a very basic understanding of complex/imaginary numbers and their properties, but it seems to me that the implication here is that [tex]\ln(1)[/tex] is not uniquely equal to zero. Is there something I'm missing that shows that this is not the case? If I am correct in this conclusion, is this because of some property of imaginary numbers that I don't know about yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dear, how embarassing. What a silly mistake.

However, now that I think about it, while that may have been a silly arithmetic mistake, it is true that [tex]e^{2i\pi} = 1[/tex] which leads to essentially the same question I had originally.

Oh dear, how embarassing. What a silly mistake.

However, now that I think about it, while that may have been a silly arithmetic mistake, it is true that [tex]e^{2i\pi} = 1[/tex] which leads to essentially the same question I had originally.

Euler's formula says that [itex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/itex].

Let [itex]x = 2 \pi n[/itex], where [itex]n[/itex] is any integer. Then [itex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x = 1 + 0i = 1[/itex].

Therefore, [itex]e^{ix} = 1[/itex] has an infinite number of solutions, all of the form [itex]x = 2 \pi n[/itex]. The two you brought up, [itex]x=0[/itex] and [itex]x = 2 \pi[/itex] are just the ones where [itex]n = 0[/itex] and [itex]1[/itex] respectively.

elvishatcher said:
I have only a very basic understanding of complex/imaginary numbers and their properties, but it seems to me that the implication here is that [tex]\ln(1)[/tex] is not uniquely equal to zero.
Correct. The complex logarithm is a multi-valued function. (Aside: "multi-valued function" is a bit of a misnomer, as is "red herring". Red herrings typically are neither red nor are they fishes. Multi-valued functions such as the inverse sine and the complex logarithm are not "functions".)

When you learn a bit more about complex analysis you'll run into the concept of branch points, branch cuts, and principal values. To make the complex logarithm a true function, one has to (somewhat arbitrarily) choose exactly one of the infinite number of values v that satisfy [itex]\exp(v) = z[/itex] as the "principal value" [itex]v=\textrm{Log}\,z[/itex]. The typical choice is that [itex]-\pi < \arg v \le \pi[/itex]. This choice makes [itex]\textrm{Log}\,1 = 0[/itex], which is the obvious choice. But what about [itex]\textrm{Log}\,(-1)[/itex]? Given Euler's identity [itex]\exp \pi i + 1 = 0[/itex], one "obvious" choice is [itex]\textrm{Log}\,(-1) = \pi i[/itex].

There's a minor problem here. For small real ε > 0, this choice makes [itex]\textrm{Log}(-1+\epsilon i) \approx \pi i[/itex] but it makes [itex]\textrm{Log}(-1-\epsilon i) \approx -\pi i[/itex]. There's a discontinuity in the neighborhood of z=-1 (or in the neighborhood any other negative real number). That's what you get with branch cuts.

Last edited:
Very interesting - thanks for the info!

elvishatcher said:
Very interesting - thanks for the info!

Euler's formula is

[itex]e^{ix} = cos(x) + i\ sin (x)[/itex]

With that formulation, it's easy to see that [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] must be periodic with period 2pi. Once you get used to thinking about the complex exponential that way, it gets much easier to visualize.

Ah, I hadn't thought about the periodicity before. Thanks

The cool proof that I saw goes like this:
Take the Maclaurin series for eu. That is:
[tex]e^{u}=1+u+\frac{u^{2}}{2!}+\frac{u^{3}}{3!}+\frac{u^{4}}{4!}+\frac{u^{5}}{5!}+\frac{u^{6}}{6!}+\frac{u^{7}}{7!}+\ldots[/tex]
Now, say u=a+bi. Then eu=ea+bi=eaebi. We are interested in the ebi part, so let's see what that comes out to:
[tex]e^{bi}=1+(bi)+\frac{(bi)^{2}}{2!}+\frac{(bi)^{3}}{3!}+\frac{(bi)^{4}}{4!}+\frac{(bi)^{5}}{5!}+\frac{(bi)^{6}}{6!}+\frac{(bi)^{7}}{7!}+\ldots[/tex]
Now remember that i2 is -1, so we substitute accordingly:
[tex]e^{bi}=1+bi-\frac{b^{2}}{2!}-\frac{ib^{3}}{3!}+\frac{b^{4}}{4!}+\frac{ib^{5}}{5!}-\frac{b^{6}}{6!}-\frac{ib^{7}}{7!}+\ldots[/tex]
Hmm, what happens if we split this into two components, so that ebi=f(b)+i*g(b). We get:
[tex]f(b)=1-\frac{b^{2}}{2!}+\frac{b^{4}}{4!}-\frac{b^{6}}{6!}+\ldots[/tex]
[tex]g(b)=b-\frac{b^{3}}{3!}+\frac{b^{5}}{5!}-\frac{b^{7}}{7!}+\ldots[/tex]
Wait! Now, f(b) is the Mclaurin series for cos(b) and g(b) is the Mclaurin series for sin(b). We have, then, that ebi=f(b)+i*g(b)=cos(b)+i*sin(b). Now, plug in b=[itex]\pi[/itex] and we get e[itex]\pi[/itex]i=cos([itex]\pi[/itex])+i*sin([itex]\pi[/itex])=-1.

I find the computation pretty cool. It is a testament to the power of infinite series :)

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that involve the square root of a negative number. They are denoted with the letter "i" and can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the exponential function to trigonometric functions. It states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is an angle in radians.

3. How are imaginary numbers and Euler's formula related?

Euler's formula can be used to express imaginary numbers in a more compact and elegant way. By substituting specific values for x, we can obtain the expressions for imaginary numbers, such as i = e^(iπ/2) or -i = e^(-iπ/2).

4. What is the significance of Euler's formula in mathematics?

Euler's formula has many applications in mathematics, particularly in complex analysis and trigonometry. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and geometry. Its elegant and concise form has made it a fundamental equation in many fields of study.

5. How are imaginary numbers and Euler's formula used in real life?

Imaginary numbers and Euler's formula are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and signal processing. For example, they are used in AC circuit analysis and in understanding the behavior of waves. They also have applications in cryptography and computer graphics.