Meade DSI Pro II: First LRGB Photo of Whirlpool Galaxy

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the new DSI Pro II camera is a higher resolution and sensitive camera than the camera the author has been using. The camera has a lot of work to take many separate exposures and then combine them, but the results are good. The weather around here has been atrocious lately for even just plain old stargazing without a telescope though...for my first few days back last week, it was disgustingly hot and hazy, and then changed to dreary, cloudy and rainy for a week.
russ_watters
Mentor
I recently bought Meade's new DSI Pro II, which is a black and white camera of higher resolution and sensitivity than my last camera. Below is my first lrgb photo with it. It is a lot of work to take many separate exposures and then combine them, but the results are good. I'm really limited by my equipment here - with my telescope's tracking bug, I can only keep about 1/3 of photos of 30 seconds exposure, and I can't do any longer. So this photo is heavily processed, which is why the contrast is pretty low. I'm really itching for a new scope, and it'll probably happen before the end of the summer.

Anyway, this photo is M-51, the Whirlpool Galaxy, a relatively nearby neighbor. For the luminance data, I set up my scope on my deck and went to bed! I love my new house...

Attachments

• M51-30.jpg
    M51-30.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 792
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
ISo this photo is heavily processed, which is why the contrast is pretty low.
Is that what gives it that grainy look?

Sounds like you're enjoying your new house and living where it's dark at night. :approve: I always enjoy the updates...love the pictures. Sure you don't want to drive several hours out of your way to show me some of these views in person? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Is that what gives it that grainy look?
Yes. It is tough to amplify the signal without amplifying the noise. To give an idea of how little good data was in the origionals, attached is an unprocessed luminance (b/w) frame.
Sounds like you're enjoying your new house and living where it's dark at night. :approve: I always enjoy the updates...love the pictures. Sure you don't want to drive several hours out of your way to show me some of these views in person? :biggrin:
Yeah, like my house and deck. We'll see about the drive - I may be buying a new telescope this summer.

Attachments

• M51-30-L-1-70.jpg
    M51-30-L-1-70.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Yes. It is tough to amplify the signal without amplifying the noise. To give an idea of how little good data was in the origionals, attached is an unprocessed luminance (b/w) frame.
Wow, that starts out pretty dim. Now I can see why you lose quality in order to enhance the brightness.
Yeah, like my house and deck. We'll see about the drive - I may be buying a new telescope this summer.
Hee, you're always so cryptic. Does that mean after buying a new telescope, you won't be able to afford a trip anywhere, or that once you have a new telescope, you'll have more incentive to show it off?

The weather around here has been atrocious lately for even just plain old stargazing without a telescope though...for my first few days back last week, it was disgustingly hot and hazy, and then changed to dreary, cloudy and rainy for a week. It's definitely dark enough, but you can't see anything through the cloud cover. This is not normal spring weather. :grumpy:

1. What is the Meade DSI Pro II?

The Meade DSI Pro II is a specialized digital camera designed for astrophotography. It features a high-resolution sensor and advanced imaging capabilities specifically tailored for capturing images of celestial objects.

2. What is LRGB imaging?

LRGB imaging is a technique used in astrophotography to capture images of deep-sky objects using multiple filters. The L stands for luminance, which captures the brightness and detail of the object, while the RGB stands for red, green, and blue filters, which capture the color information.

3. How is the Whirlpool Galaxy captured in this photo?

The Whirlpool Galaxy, also known as Messier 51, was captured using the Meade DSI Pro II and LRGB imaging technique. The camera was attached to a telescope and the image was taken by stacking multiple exposures with different filters to create a final image with both the luminance and color information of the galaxy.

4. What makes the Meade DSI Pro II a good camera for astrophotography?

The Meade DSI Pro II has a high-resolution sensor and low noise levels, making it well-suited for capturing detailed images of faint celestial objects. It also has advanced features such as automatic dark frame subtraction and live preview, making it easier for astrophotographers to capture high-quality images.

5. Can the Meade DSI Pro II be used for other types of photography?

While the Meade DSI Pro II is primarily designed for astrophotography, it can also be used for other types of photography, such as landscape or portrait photography. However, due to its specialized features and high cost, it may not be the most practical option for these types of photography.