Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
This thread is dedicated to the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).

n.b. I start this thread because I wanted to share a clip, but it did not feel appropriate to put it in "The Great Outdoors" thread, since it seems it's more of a "nature thread", which of course also is beautiful.

Even though I certainly don't mind you posting your own stuff here as well, please note that there is a dedicated thread for your own astrophotography photos here (which is better if you want to discuss your photos and get advice): Astrophotography photos.

<< Mentor Note -- that Astrophotography Photos thread was closed recently, so that members could post their photos in their own threads instead >> :smile:

Well, now, onwards to the beauty of our Universe; I start this thread with the following clip:

The Astounding Fact About The Universe - Neil Degrasse Tyson

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes akerkarprashant, docnet, Charlotte Bridge and 15 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
(I will also repost some other precious clips from other PF threads...)

The World Outside My Window - Time Lapse of Earth from the ISS

All Alone in the Night - Time-lapse footage of the Earth as seen from the ISS

Likes Math100, akerkarprashant, Charlotte Bridge and 14 others
This beautiful short film was previously posted by Astronuc in this post (@Astronuc).

The Overview Effect (19 min 10 s)

Likes akerkarprashant, Charlotte Bridge, Nelli and 4 others
This beautiful clip of our Sun was posted by OmCheeto here (@OmCheeto).

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, 5 year video

Likes akerkarprashant, Charlotte Bridge, MalcolmB and 5 others
I enjoyed watching the following video yesterday.

It's somewhat timely, as Dawn will be captured into orbit by Ceres in about 5 days.

Likes akerkarprashant, Charlotte Bridge, Kolmo and 3 others
OmCheeto said:
It's somewhat timely, as Dawn will be captured into orbit by Ceres in about 5 days.
Very, very interesting, I did not know about it! I wish the Dawn team and the project best luck! :smile:

Also, we will hopefully get much better photos and information about Pluto this summer, in July 2015, when the probe New Horizons reaches Pluto (it has traveled for nine years):

More clips here from NASA about the mission:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NASANewHorizons

..and there was a recent short thread on PF about it here.

Last edited:
Likes akerkarprashant and OmCheeto
I just remembered this clip, which I think I have posted somewhere before on the forum (but I do not remember where):

The Known Universe by the American Museum of Natural History

Likes akerkarprashant, pinball1970, ISamson and 3 others
Thank you DennisN - when we were the furthest out and we started to come back to the Milky Way it made me feel we were lost amongst 1011 galaxies and I hoped the driver knew her way home - she did!

Garth

Likes akerkarprashant, DennisN and (deleted member)
Thanks for sharing these - this thread reminded me of the many beautiful images and videos from
SOHO and among these, this (old) one in UV:

Likes akerkarprashant, davenn and DennisN
Saw a really cool clip a couple of days ago, maybe not so much "astro", but it is about objects in space (sort of) and most definitely in our Universe :smile:, so here it is:

In his off-duty time, NASA Astronaut Don Pettit experiments with the physics of water in the weightless environment aboard the International Space Station. Published as a collaboration between NASA and the American Physical Society.

Likes akerkarprashant
This is mostly science fiction now and most likely will remain so for the rest of our lives, but what it does is fit the thread title well:

By the way, the video in post #7 is (partially at least) a video-capture of a free planetarium software 'Digital Universe' available from Hayden Planetarium website:
http://www.amnh.org/our-research/hayden-planetarium/digital-universe
I don't think you can view the solar system as depicted, but certainly the milky way and the extragalactic scales are accessible (in separate instances, however).

Likes akerkarprashant, pinball1970, DennisN and 3 others
Bandersnatch said:
This is mostly science fiction now and most likely will remain so for the rest of our lives, but what it does is fit the thread title well:

By the way, the video in post #7 is (partially at least) a video-capture of a free planetarium software 'Digital Universe' available from Hayden Planetarium website:
http://www.amnh.org/our-research/hayden-planetarium/digital-universe
I don't think you can view the solar system as depicted, but certainly the milky way and the extragalactic scales are accessible (in separate instances, however).

I loved the smile at the end of the video. It reminded me of Kip Thorne's comment about "Interstellar". Something to the effect, that you can mathematically model something, but actually being there, is freaking awesome.

I've seen this video before, but after recently going along for the ride with both the Philae-Rosetta and Dawn missions, it's actually 100 times better this time. Before that, it was just a fantasy video. And now, it strikes me as very real. Thanks!

On a similar note, I've been mesmerized by an Earth atmosphere simulator for the last 2 weeks. I found it whilst in a "Wind" themed thread. Since then, I've stared at it probably every day, for at least a couple of hours. In another thread, based on those observations, I mentioned that it would take me 100 years to describe what's going on.

About the only thing you can do, is plug in as many numbers as possible, and get a supercomputer to make a simulation.

There are rivers of air above our heads, flowing in every conceivable direction, at every height.

Earth

Looking down on the North Pole:

pf.2015.03.26.Northpole.26500.meters.jpg

26500 meter elevation

pf.2015.03.26.Northpole.17500.meters.jpg

17500 meter elevation

pf.2015.03.26.Northpole.10500.meters.jpg

10,500 meter elevation

pf.2015.03.26.Northpole.0.meters.jpg

Surface
Explain what you've just seen, in 100 words years, or less.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Umrao and DennisN
OmCheeto said:
Explain what you've just seen, in 100 words years, or less.
Challenge accepted! :woot:

The wind you feel caressing your skin is just an afterthought of something much greater. Even a terrible hurricane is but a swirl in the colossal rivers of air, serpentine and shifting, just outside the reach of the tallest mountaintops. However, venture higher, twice as high as before, and you'll see the rivers joining to form a sea of currents, dwarfing their low altitude cousins, yet calmer and ponderous. But the realm of Aeolus lies higher than the mightiest of peaks among the planets. There, the winds abandon their individual will to eternally dance in great circles of celestial geometry.

Whether that counts as 'explaining' to anyone but some ancient Greek peasants is another matter. :wink:

Likes Electron Spin, Umrao and OmCheeto
Bandersnatch said:
Challenge accepted! :woot:

The wind you feel caressing your skin is just an afterthought of something much greater. Even a terrible hurricane is but a swirl in the colossal rivers of air, serpentine and shifting, just outside the reach of the tallest mountaintops. However, venture higher, twice as high as before, and you'll see the rivers joining to form a sea of currents, dwarfing their low altitude cousins, yet calmer and ponderous. But the realm of Aeolus lies higher than the mightiest of peaks among the planets. There, the winds abandon their individual will to eternally dance in great circles of celestial geometry.

Whether that counts as 'explaining' to anyone but some ancient Greek peasants is another matter. :wink:
Bam! Nailed it. :bow:

Believe it or not, I was contemplating adding Jody Foster's quote from "Contact", but, as you know, I've already quoted that scene:

They should have sent...a poet.

That was a fun thread. Everyone learned how old everyone was. :oldtongue:

Likes pinball1970
OmCheeto said:
On a similar note, I've been mesmerized by an Earth atmosphere simulator for the last 2 weeks.
Goddamnit, Om. That's seriously addictive. I could eat popcorn to that.

Hmmm... maybe I could hook it up to my telly somehow. Leave it on forever.

liometopum said:
9450 images available for public use from ESO; a great many are of ESO itself.
Nine thousand, four hundred, and 50 images!
Nobody's got time for that.
And why would anyone want to look at pictures telescopes and dishes?

hmmm... (checks site)

OMG.

I just spent 5 minutes staring at a panorama called ALMA’s Solitude.

And the astro pictures are... WOW!

Thank you! :smile:

Speaking of the immensity of the Universe, this is a picture that amazes me: NGC 4921 seen by Hubble. Look at all those far away galaxies visible everywhere through the halo of the main galaxy.
heic0901b.jpg

Likes Umrao and DennisN
I am assuming, that I was so enchanted by "ALMA's Solitude" (thanks again @liometopum !), that I researched who took the photo.

I ran across this one on the 24th of April:

I found the stars, reflected from the telescopes, enchanting.
At 2:22, the star's reflections, move in different directions.
It was one of those "whoa", Keanu Reeves type moments, for me.

photographer: Babak Tafreshi

Likes DennisN and liometopum
That video was great, and your research to find it is impressive! Thank you for doing and sharing!

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
I ran across this one on the 24th of April:
Simply a stunningly beautiful clip! And cool music too! And now I will try to find out who the composer of the music is...:biggrin: EDIT: Some say that he who seeks shall find, and so I did: AliRainiMusic (facebook), and on that page I found another beautiful clip :smile: :

EDIT 2 : And also this nice tribute to "Sky gazers":

Last edited:
Likes Tim22988 and OmCheeto
These videos are great!

This is one of my favorites:

Likes Math100, davenn, Charlotte Bridge and 3 others
OmCheeto said:
I've always wondered, why we didn't have pictures like this.
Beautiful! :kiss:

Star Size Comparison (by "morn1415")

(if the clip above for some reason doesn't play, here's another version with other audio)

Likes Kolmo and OmCheeto
I also remembered this...

The Millennium Simulation (Max-Planck-Institut)
The Millennium Run used more than 10 billion particles to trace the evolution of the matter distribution in a cubic region of the Universe over 2 billion light-years on a side. It kept busy the principal supercomputer at the Max Planck Society's Supercomputing Centre in Garching, Germany for more than a month.

More info, pictures and videos:

Likes NFuller and OmCheeto
Likes DennisN and OmCheeto
Likes DennisN
I open the ISS live stream every day. Nothing to see when it's on the dark side unfortunately but this image below will update with the current position of the ISS whenever you refresh the page.

orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544.png

Looks like PF is caching the image. Here's the direct link -
https://www.physicsforums.com/view-source:http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
52706main_hstorion_lg.jpg

Here we see disproven the commonly held notion that shields don't work inside a nebula. Bow shock of LL Orionis plowing through the Orion Nebula, protected by its stellar wind.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
A Flight Through the Universe, by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

PIA19821_modest.jpg

Picture of our sun.

Likes Borg and DennisN