Is energy conserved in this case?

• Thread starter Stereo_Chemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the question posed was about a figure skater with a moment of inertia rotating at an angular speed of 4 rad/s. By reducing her moment of inertia, her speed increased to 12 rad/s, indicating that angular momentum is conserved. However, energy is not conserved in this case as the skater had to do work to pull in her arms, adding mechanical energy to the system.
Stereo_Chemist
I recently had a question presented to me, and I am wondering if I got it right.

The question stated that a figure skater with a moment of inertia was rotating at an angular speed of 4 rad/s. Then the figure skater reduced her moment of inertia by bringing her arms in, and her speed increased to 12 rad/s. How much did her moment of inertia increase by.

For this part I know that angular momentum is conserved, so if the angular speed increased by a factor of 3, her moment of inertia must decrease by a factor of 3 also.

The next question then asked if energy was conserved in this case.

I figured that the only type of energy in this case was rotational energy and there is no translational energy, so you could simply use the formula

R.E. = 1/2Iw^2

So if you plug in the initial moment of inertia and angular speed and then the final one, you will get two different values, so energy is not conserved, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. Mechanical energy is not conserved. The skater has to do work to pull in her arms; she adds mechanical energy. (Of course total energy is conserved. She transformed chemical energy into mechanical energy.)

Based on the given information, it appears that energy is not conserved in this case. This is because there is a change in both the moment of inertia and the angular speed, resulting in a change in the rotational energy. In order for energy to be conserved, there would need to be no change in either the moment of inertia or the angular speed. However, it is important to note that this is only considering the rotational energy and there may be other forms of energy involved that could potentially make the total energy conserved. So, it is possible that energy is conserved in this case, but it cannot be determined based on the given information.

1. What does it mean for energy to be conserved?

Conservation of energy means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How can we determine if energy is conserved in a given case?

In order to determine if energy is conserved, we use the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy in a closed system must remain constant. This can be done by measuring the initial and final energy states of the system and ensuring that the difference between them is zero.

3. Is energy always conserved, or are there exceptions?

In general, energy is always conserved. However, there are some cases where energy may appear to be lost, such as in situations involving friction or heat transfer. In these cases, the energy is not actually lost, but rather transformed into another form.

4. How does the concept of energy conservation relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. This is directly related to the concept of energy conservation, as it reinforces the idea that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. What are some real-world examples of energy conservation?

There are many real-world examples of energy conservation, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth, where the potential energy at the highest point is equal to the kinetic energy at the lowest point. Another example is a car slowing down due to friction, where the kinetic energy of the car is converted into heat energy. The conservation of energy also plays a role in the functioning of renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines, where energy from the sun and wind is transformed into usable forms without being lost.