Can Virtual Photons Be Detected and Measured?

In summary: Virtual photons, as defined, are not constrained by c, and have other novel properties. This business is covered in the theory of quantum electrodynamics. You might pick up some easy reading such as Feynman's "QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" for a starter."
physic31415
No-one on the general board seems to have an answer. I really would like help on this one.

I am told that two static electrical charges exert a force on each other by the exchange of photons.

Nowhere have I read the answers to the following: what are the frequencies/energies of the exchange photons, and if they have infinite range, why cannot they (the photons) be intercepted and measured? - if the charges are very far apart it cannot be that the photons are virtual and have a very short life...

If I opened my eyes would I see exchange particles?

Help needed!

Physics news on Phys.org
To the best of my knowledge, no you could not measure the photons or interact with them in any way. Perhaps someone more versed in this could explain it further.

So the photons I pick up on my radio receiver aerial are definitely not the same as the exchange particle photons? I wonder why, if they exist, exchange particle photons cannot be intercepted?

physic31415 said:
So the photons I pick up on my radio receiver aerial are definitely not the same as the exchange particle photons?

The photons that you "see by" with visible light, or that your radio aerial picks up, are real photons. The photons that mediate electrostatic forces are virtual photons.

Virtual photons don't "really exist" in the same sense that real photons do. They are an artifact of the perturbation-series techniques that we use for calculations in quantum electrodynamics (QED). For a couple of previous discussions on PF about the "reality" of virtual photons and other virtual particles, see

How "Real" Are Virtual Particles?

Virtual Photons as Force Carriers

Thank you for your reply.

"Virtual photons don't "really exist" in the same sense that real photons do. They are an artifact of the perturbation-series techniques that we use for calculations in quantum electrodynamics (QED)."

If a diagram were drawn showing an electron interacting with another electron one light-year away, with the exchange of one photon, what would be the energy/frequency of that photon? Distance is one light year (x), the speed of the photon is known (c), is the energy of the photon, and thus the frequency simply given by the Heisenberg uncertainty with the smallest possible value for delta t being x/c? i.e. would there be a range of possible photon energies with a maximum energy photon following the shortest route? Or have I totally misunderstood?

Virtual photons, as defined, are not constrained by c, and have other novel properties. This business is covered in the theory of quantum electrodynamics. You might pick up some easy reading such as Feynman's "QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" for a starter.

Phrak said:
Virtual photons, as defined, are not constrained by c, and have other novel properties. This business is covered in the theory of quantum electrodynamics. You might pick up some easy reading such as Feynman's "QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" for a starter.

Thanks. It is many years since I read Feynman's QED so I need to do some reading.

If they are not constrained by c and have other properties, what is it that defines them as photons rather than 'virtual exchange particles associated with electromagnetic interactions"?

What are photon exchange particles?

Photon exchange particles are virtual particles that mediate the electromagnetic force between charged particles. They are carriers of electromagnetic energy and are responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

What is the role of photon exchange particles in quantum electrodynamics?

In quantum electrodynamics, photon exchange particles play a crucial role in explaining how charged particles interact with each other. They are the carriers of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

How are photon exchange particles different from real photons?

Photon exchange particles are virtual particles that exist only for a very short period of time and cannot be directly observed. Real photons, on the other hand, are particles of light that have measurable properties such as energy and wavelength.

Can photon exchange particles be detected in experiments?

Since photon exchange particles are virtual particles, they cannot be directly detected in experiments. However, their effects can be observed indirectly through the interactions between charged particles.

What other types of exchange particles exist in quantum field theory?

In addition to photon exchange particles, other types of exchange particles exist in quantum field theory, such as gluons (for the strong nuclear force), W and Z bosons (for the weak nuclear force), and gravitons (for the gravitational force).