Photons per unit of Energy in Cherenkov radiation?

In summary, the goal of this project is to estimate the amount of photons produced by a beam of protons passing through a block of water based on experimental data and using the Frank-Tamm formula. However, there are some uncertainties due to the speed of the protons and the properties of water as a scintillator material. The ultimate goal is to estimate the amount of photons produced at any point along the Bragg Curve between the beginning and the Bragg Peak without using a simulation tool like Geant4.
Frigorifico
If I have a beam of protons that go into a block of water, how can I know how many photons will be produced along the beam path?. I'm assuming all the photons have the same energy.

I know that the energy deposition will follow a Bragg Curve, and I think that energy deposition is probably proportional to the amount of photons, is it?.

I was given some experimental data. A beam of 20 MeV produces ~550 photons per proton per MeV per mm^2 in it's first 2mm of water.

I tried using the Frank-Tamm formula to try to reproduce this result, I assumed that v≈c, that permeability was that of vacuum and that the frequency was 789THz (my supervisor told me to assume al photons had this frequency), and then dividing over the energy of a single photon with that energy to get the amount of photons, but... it didn't work.

I was also told that in the Bragg Peak, at approximately 4.25 mm, the amount of photons will have doubled... but I want to estimate it for any energy at any point between the beginning of the Bragg curve and the Bragg Peak, but short of actually learning Geant4 and doing the simulation, I have no idea how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of odd things here. At 20 MeV a proton is slow. The approximation ##v\approx c## doesn’t work and there won’t be Cherenkov radiation. There will be some random photons due to ionization but they will have a broad distribution. Scintillators are made to produce light from ionizing radiation but water is not a good material for that - it leads to photons but if you want to measure them there are better materials.

What is the overall goal of this project?

1. What is Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium.

2. How is Cherenkov radiation produced?

Cherenkov radiation is produced when a charged particle, such as an electron, interacts with the atoms in a medium, causing the atoms to become polarized and emit photons. These photons form a cone of light in the direction of the particle's motion.

3. What is the relationship between photons and energy in Cherenkov radiation?

The number of photons emitted per unit of energy in Cherenkov radiation is proportional to the energy of the charged particle and the refractive index of the medium. As the energy of the particle increases, the number of photons emitted also increases.

4. How is the number of photons per unit of energy in Cherenkov radiation measured?

The number of photons per unit of energy in Cherenkov radiation can be measured using a specialized instrument called a Cherenkov detector. This instrument detects the light emitted by the charged particle and converts it into an electrical signal, which can then be used to determine the number of photons per unit of energy.

5. What are the applications of Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation has a wide range of applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear medicine, and astrophysics. It is used in particle detectors to study high-energy particles, in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans, and in the detection of cosmic rays and gamma rays in space.