Why don't pure mathematicians like to split derivatives?

• Thread starter KingBigness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Splitting
In summary, pure mathematicians do not like the idea of multiplying both sides of an equation by dx because dx does not have a definite meaning and cannot be treated as a number. It is simply a notation and does not always give the correct answer. However, there are deeper theories that give dx a meaning, but these are usually not taught in a calculus course. Your teacher is not completely wrong, but he should have explained the deeper theory behind this idea. Additionally, you cannot simply split the derivative into separate factors as dx does not exist as a number. This is fundamentally false and can lead to incorrect results.
KingBigness
I remembered the other day that a while back my teacher (can't remember what topic, think it was implicit differentiation) had something like dy/dx and said to us that you could times both sides of the quation by dx as long as you don't tell any pure mathematician.

I was wondering why pure mathematicians don't like this if it gives the correct answer.

Sorry for the dodgy post I just can't remember all the details of what was going on as it was a few months ago.

Hope it isn't to unclear =S

Physics news on Phys.org
Aaaargh. Your teacher is correct: you shouldn't have told me that.

The reason is simply this: dx does not exist. It stands for nothing. So what are you multiplying with?? Something that doesn't exist.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

is simply a notation, it is not a fraction

And it doesn't always give the right answer. For example the formula

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/tex]

and this shows that we cannot simply scratch the [itex]\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial y[/itex] in the numerator.

Everybody who says that you can "just multiply by dx" is lying.

Ok I see I thought as much.
So is there a reason it worked in his case? Or did it really not change anything it just "simpfied" the notation.

Ps, sorry to cause you so much distress =P

KingBigness said:
Ok I see I thought as much.
So is there a reason it worked in his case? Or did it really not change anything it just "simpfied" the notation.

There is a deeper reason why it works. The idea is to give dx a meaning. This is done in nonstandard calculus and differential geometry. But these topics are usually not treated in a calculus course.

So your teacher is not completely wrong here. You can just multiply by dx and get the right answer. But he shouldn't have said that without explaining all the deeper theory. He should at least have mentioned that it isn't as trivial as you think. The last thing that I want you to think is that dx is some number and that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] is a fraction and that everything cancels out nicely. This is fundamentally false.

KingBigness said:
Ps, sorry to cause you so much distress =P

It's your teachers fault, not yours :biggrin:

Thanks for that explanation.
I understand it's not a number that's why I am asking this because I know he is wrong just wanted to know why. It unsettles me when people say, this works as long as you don't ask someone who is good at it
Haha

You seem like you know what you are talking about.
I have a partial derivative question I can't do and I have put it in the homework section to no avail.

Do you mind checking it out? It's called partial derivative proof, or I can pm you the question

Thank you again!

Sorry to revive a dead thread, I just thought you would be the best to answer my question as it follows along from my previous one.

You say you can't split dx because it 'doesn't exist'.

I have just started errors with derivatives. It says that the ratio of the two derivatives is actually the derivative of the function.

f'(x)=\frac{dy}{dx}

and the relationship between the two differentials can be given by

dy=f'(x)dx

Is this not 'splitting' the derivative?

1. What is "Splitting the Derivative"?

"Splitting the Derivative" refers to a mathematical technique used to simplify complicated derivatives by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. Why is "Splitting the Derivative" useful?

"Splitting the Derivative" can make it easier to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler components. This can save time and effort when solving for derivatives.

3. How do you split a derivative?

To split a derivative, you can use the product rule or the quotient rule. These rules allow you to break down a derivative of a function into smaller derivatives of its components.

4. When should "Splitting the Derivative" be used?

"Splitting the Derivative" should be used when the function being differentiated is too complicated to find the derivative using basic rules such as the power rule or chain rule. It can also be used when solving for higher order derivatives.

5. Are there any limitations to "Splitting the Derivative"?

Yes, there are some limitations to "Splitting the Derivative". It may not always work for all functions, especially those with discontinuities or undefined points. Additionally, it may not always result in a simpler derivative, and in some cases, it may actually make the derivative more complicated.