Collisions mechanics question

In summary, the two particles collided and the first particle had velocity 9 ms^1 in the positive x-direction while the second particle had velocity 6 ms^1 in the positive y-direction. At the instant of collision, the particles were so that the normals to their surfaces at the point of contact were ±n, where n is a unit vector inclined at -pi/4 from the x-axis as shown.
ly667
A smooth spherical particle with mass 2.5 kg collides with a second smooth spherical
particle of mass 6kg. Before the collision, the first particle has velocity 9ms^1
in the positive x-direction while the second particle has velocity 6ms^1 in the positive y-direction. At the instant of collision, the particles are so that the normals to their surfaces at the point of contact are ±n, where n
is a unit vector inclined at -pi/4 from the x-axis as shown. You may assume that the coefficient of restitution e = 2/3 and that no other forces are involved. Determine the velocities v1,1 and v2,1 of the first and second particles respectively, immediately after the collision.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ly667! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I don't really have much of an idea to be honest, nor do my classmates. We have been looking at it all night :(
Basically what I have so far is.. I have constructed my diagram.
Particle 1: m1=2.5, v1=9
Particle 2: m2=6, v2=6

Particles interact along line, to n=v1-v2
we also need m, a vector perpendicular to n
m=v1+v2 (so m.n=0)

Physical assumptions: momentum conservation
coeff of rest 2/3
smooth collisions

this is an inelastic collision

so you need conservation of momentum in two perpendicular directions (either x and y, or n and z×n)

and one more equation, which will be the coefficient of restitution equation

(the coefficient of restitution is the ratio of the relative speed after to the relative speed before the collision, see the pf library)

show us what you get :smile:

Okay, so far I have

Mathematically condition i.) gives
m1,v1,0+m2v2,0=m1,v1,1+m2v2,1

ie. 2.5(v1,1)+6(v2,1)=22.5+36 = 58.5

while ii.) gives(v2,1-v1,1)= e(v2,0-v1,0).n

and iii.) gives (v2,1-v1,1).m= (v2,0-v1,0).m

=0 since n=v2,0-v1,0

Its easiest to work in components

let v2,1=9u2+6w2
and v1,1=9u1+6w1

momentum cons becomes

2.5(9u1)+2.5(6w1)+6(9u2)+6(6w2)=58.5

I am stuck and don't know what to do from here.. Is what I have done correct?

ly667 said:
ie. 2.5(v1,1)+6(v2,1)=22.5+36 = 58.5

ah, no wonder you're stuck, your professor obviously hasn't explained to you the vector nature of conservation of momentum :redface:

your 58.5 is the sum of the x and y components of momentum …

you can't do that!

momentum is a vector, and obeys the laws of vector addition

you can't add components in different directions

write out two equations, one for conservation of momentum in the x direction, and one for conservation of momentum in the y direction :smile:

So should I use my velocity value as vectors, ie instead of v1=9, let it equal 9i?

yes :smile:

Okay :) thank you! Will do that now! Could you please help me with my collisions question? I have gotten a good bit of it done but am stuck at a point!

1. How do collisions work?

Collisions occur when two objects come into contact with each other and exert a force on each other. This force causes a change in the velocity or direction of the objects involved.

2. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in collisions mechanics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the sum of the momenta of all objects involved in the collision remains the same.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is influenced by several factors, including the mass, velocity, and direction of motion of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to collisions?

The coefficient of restitution (e) is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In other words, it represents how much energy is retained after a collision.

5. How can collisions be calculated and predicted?

Collisions can be analyzed and predicted using mathematical equations, such as the conservation of momentum and the coefficient of restitution. These equations take into account the mass, velocity, and type of collision to determine the outcome of the collision.