Is Physics Essays Journal Just Full of Crackpot Theories?

In summary, the conversation discussed a journal called "Physics Essays" found in a university library, which claims to focus on fundamental questions in physics but is often filled with fringe theories and anti-Einsteinian views. Some people have read papers from this journal but cannot recall any significant contributions to the field of physics. The conversation also touched on the validity and importance of this journal and the limited time and resources available for reading and researching.
Lewis
I was browsing the periodical section at university library a few minutes ago and found a journal called "Physics Essays".

It purports itself to be "An International Journal Dedicated to Fundamental Questions in Physics". I figured it might be interesting, so I picked it up and read a few articles, however it seemed like all it was were crackpots trying to prove Einstein wrong. Has anybody else read this journal? Does anyone know how physicists see it?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, it is a valid journal. It is peer-reviewed with an international group of research pysicists as board of editors. I think it is one of the few journals that will accept far-reaching fringes and other contrarian views to otherwise well-accepted theories. This makes it the go-to place for the anti-Einsteinian etherists out there. I've read many non-crackpot papers in this journal, but I can't remember anything about them (time erodes everything).

Let's put it this way. MANY universities and institutions DO NOT have a subscription to this journal. This journal tend to emphasis on fringe physics, and the citation to papers appearing in this journal is abysmal. They are not looked upon as playing any significant role in the advancement of knowledge of physics.

Zz.

Yeah, I read the list of the editorial board and it looked okay, and I figured the lirbrary wouldn't subscribe to it if it was junk. I guess it's a good thing that there exists a journal for fringe theories, though.

Lewis said:
Yeah, I read the list of the editorial board and it looked okay, and I figured the lirbrary wouldn't subscribe to it if it was junk. I guess it's a good thing that there exists a journal for fringe theories, though.

Sure it is. I mean, what would you read when you go to the bathroom to do your business? I pick up one of these and I go "Ugh!" It certainly beats reading a supermarket tabloid.

:)

Zz.

Zapper, I assume your patience for these things has been worn thin?
I'm more removed from the front lines so I still find the fringe ideas interesting. (OK, I'm no where near the front lines; I'm back at camp, serving potatos!) But to my point of view, the papers in this mag/rag are at least following scientific procedure, or are they not?

Chi Meson said:
Zapper, I assume your patience for these things has been worn thin?
I'm more removed from the front lines so I still find the fringe ideas interesting. (OK, I'm no where near the front lines; I'm back at camp, serving potatos!) But to my point of view, the papers in this mag/rag are at least following scientific procedure, or are they not?

I am not so sure about that. However, when you read something that makes speculation without experimental validity, there's no way one can check if that is scientifically valid. So I'm not sure what "procedure" one would follow.

My take in something like this is as follows: my time and my life is way too short. I have so many things I have to do, and so many papers I have to read, that I want to know what useful information that I can get out of something. Of all the important papers that I have read, I cannot remember ever reading something from that journal, nor do I remember citations from that journal. Since I have finite resources and finite patience in these things, I choose to pay attention to sources that have produced practically all of the important and significant body of work.

People can say "well, aren't those issues being covered in that journal interesting?" And I'd say "they may be interesting, but are they important?" If they are important, how come these things don't become the center of physics, or being noticed by physicists, or become something that you use in your modern electronics, or something that you depend your life on?

There are so many other reputable journals, publishing some of the most mind-boggling discoveries and new physics that even sci-fi writers can't dream up. I'd rather stick with those.

Zz.

The last I saw of this journal was in 1991 (I'm pretty sure). I'm not defending it and I agree that life is too short. I'd say that I "allow" myself the luxury of an occasional speculative notion.

Please trust me that I don't go teaching it though!

1. What is the purpose of the Crackpot physics Journal?

The purpose of the Crackpot physics Journal is to provide a platform for individuals to share their unconventional or controversial ideas and theories in the field of physics. It is not a peer-reviewed journal and does not claim to publish scientifically sound research.

2. Who can submit articles to the Crackpot physics Journal?

Anyone can submit articles to the Crackpot physics Journal. There are no specific qualifications or credentials required for submission, but it is recommended that the author has a basic understanding of physics and scientific principles.

3. How are the articles in the Crackpot physics Journal evaluated?

The articles in the Crackpot physics Journal are not evaluated for their scientific validity or accuracy. They are only reviewed for basic language and formatting to ensure readability.

4. Is the Crackpot physics Journal a legitimate scientific publication?

No, the Crackpot physics Journal is not a legitimate scientific publication. It does not follow the standard peer-review process and its articles should not be considered as credible scientific research.

5. Can the ideas and theories published in the Crackpot physics Journal be considered as valid?

The ideas and theories published in the Crackpot physics Journal should be approached with skepticism and critical thinking. They have not undergone rigorous scientific testing and should not be considered as valid unless supported by evidence from reputable sources.