UFO study finds no sign of aliens

In summary, the Ministry of Defence reports that there is no proof of alien life forms, and that Close Encounters may be explained by physical, electrical, and magnetic phenomena in the atmosphere.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A confidential Ministry of Defence report on Unidentified Flying Objects has concluded that there is no proof of alien life forms.

... "Considerable evidence exists to support the thesis that the events are almost certainly attributable to physical, electrical and magnetic phenomena in the atmosphere, mesosphere and ionosphere.

"They appear to originate due to more than one set of weather and electrically charged conditions, and are observed so infrequently as to make them unique to the majority of observers."

People who claim to have had a "close encounter" are often difficult to persuade that they did not really see what they thought they saw. The report offers a possible medical explanation.

"The close proximity of plasma related fields can adversely affect a vehicle or person," states the report.

"Local fields of this type have been medically proven to cause responses in the temporal lobes of the human brain. These result in the observer sustaining (and later describing and retaining) his or her own vivid, but mainly incorrect, description of what is experienced." [continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4981720.stm

It has long been suspected that this sort of thing may account for some UFO reports - perhaps a good number of the more interesting cases. Of course it remains to be shown that such a phenomenon really does exist that can affect humans to the degree suggested.

Note also that the "UFO" photo chosen by the BBC was long ago relegated to our very own Ball Lightning [photos] section of the Credible Anomalies Napster.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58374

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, I don't offer theories, but I do have one suggestion. If such a phenomenon does exist, it would appear to react to RADAR. I have always wondered if the Iran encounter might be explained if a phenomenon like that suggested here was encountered, and if it literally "ran away" from the plane's RADAR. Could the RADAR literally push it away as the plane chases it? To me, a careful reading of the encounter suggests such a possibility.
http://www.nsa.gov/ufo/ufo00020.pdf

I have read a good number of other reports that might be explained by this. In some cases, this could be what makes the UFOs seemingly intelligent and responsive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
In fact, I don't offer theories, but I do have one suggestion. If such a phenomenon does exist, it would appear to react to RADAR. I have always wondered if the Iran encounter might be explained if a phenomenon like that suggested here was encountered, and if it literally "ran away" from the plane's RADAR. Could the RADAR literally push it away as the plane chases it? To me, a careful reading of the encounter suggests such a possibility.
http://www.nsa.gov/ufo/ufo00020.pdf

I have read a good number of other reports that might be explained by this. In some cases, this could be what makes the UFOs seemingly intelligent and responsive.

I believe that these plasmas, especially if they were organized into tori (as the recent theory of ball lightning suggests) or other soliton forms, would make brilliant radar targets. One thing very likely is that they would scatter cm wave lengths but not optical ones (or not as well), making them show up on radar but be effectively invisible to the naked eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The close proximity of plasma related fields can adversely affect a vehicle or person," states the report.

"Local fields of this type have been medically proven to cause responses in the temporal lobes of the human brain. These result in the observer sustaining (and later describing and retaining) his or her own vivid, but mainly incorrect, description of what is experienced."

I would like to see this proved in a controlled experiment. In my experience, many people have walked by high tension lines and power generators, get MRIs and sightsee auroras with no weird effects being reported (these are all examples of exposure to strong electric/magnetic or electromagnetic fields). So, if "plasma related fields" are being blamed for these phenomena, I want to see proof by way of a reproducible experiment with controls (to rule out a placebo effect).

selfAdjoint said:
I believe that these plasmas, especially if they were organized into tori (as the recent theory of ball lightning suggests) or other soliton forms, would make brilliant radar targets. One thing very likely is that they would scatter cm wave lengths but not optical ones (or not as well), making them show up on radar but be effectively invisible to the naked eye.

There are quite few cases of AF planes being scrambled to observe RADAR targets that were tracked, but could never be seen, even at close range - according to the relative positions of the interceptors and the target, as indicated on RADAR.

So what percentage of credible cases does this explanation erase? Are there still a decent number of cases which remain immune to this type of explanation? BTW I don't expect exact answers, just a thought.

Making a best guess wrt my own experience, I can imagine that this sort of thing might account for at least twenty percent of the most interesting cases that I've read; maybe more.

The topic is the alleged phenomenon that affects humans and the evidence that it may exist. All off-topic posts have been deleted.

So they're saying it's basically a hallucination? That doesn't seem to account for multiple observers seeing the same thing.

Like Curious, I'd like to see some evidence of how this would affect the brain to produce this particular outcome. That just seems a bit far-fetched to me. If something external could have that profound of an effect on the brain, it should be measureable, repeatable, and I'd have a hard time believing it would be so specific and localized as to result in such a similar hallucination in so many people.

It sounds a bit like a fancy way of saying, "It's all in their heads."

Afterall, if it's so uncommon, as the article says, and it hasn't been measured directly, as the article hints, then it's nothing but handwaving.

I'd half to agree with you Moonbear, they would need to have some solid facts to back up the claims of hallucination. As far as I can recall, I've never seen a study where a group of people were indused to have the SAME hallucination.

What is the purpose of the UFO study?

The purpose of the UFO study is to gather data and evidence in order to determine whether there is any sign of alien presence on Earth or in our universe.

What methods were used in the UFO study?

The UFO study utilized various scientific methods such as data analysis, interviews, and observations to investigate reported UFO sightings and any potential evidence of alien activity.

What were the findings of the UFO study?

The findings of the UFO study revealed that there was no conclusive evidence of alien presence on Earth. While there were some unexplained sightings, there was no definitive proof of extraterrestrial beings.

Why is it important to conduct UFO studies?

Conducting UFO studies allows scientists to gather and analyze data in a systematic and scientific manner. This can help dispel myths and misconceptions surrounding UFO sightings and provide a clearer understanding of potential alien activity.

Will there be future UFO studies conducted?

It is likely that there will be future UFO studies conducted as technology and scientific methods continue to advance. These studies will continue to investigate potential signs of alien presence and further our understanding of the universe.