Quiz: Beatles Songs - 8 Questions to Test Your Knowledge

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary: For about a month," he said, "I went round to people in the music business and asked them whether they had ever heard it before. Eventually it became like handing something in to the police. I thought if no one claimed it after a few weeks then I could have it." Eventually, he gave the melody the working title of "Scrambled Eggs." It would be two years before he gave it the title "Yesterday," and before he wrote any lyrics at all.1.In summary, John is believed to be the one singing in "I am the Walrus", but there is also the lyric "The walrus was
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If the quiz is too easy, I hope, at least, that it's interesting. One anwer per person.

1. According to the Walrus, Who was the Walrus? Back up your answer.

2. Which John song was inspired by an easy high rider?

3. Inspiration for the title of a song that Paul wrote as a piano exercise for himself?

4. Where did Paul find the music for "Scrambled Eggs"?

5. Rosemary's sister was the subject of Which John song?

6. John's lead role in the band slid to new highs on which George song?

7. Which John song is based, roughly, on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata played backwards?

8. Name Paul's ode (as opposed to pde) to pot.

Physics news on Phys.org

John is the one singing in "I am the Walrus", but there is also the lyric "The walrus was Paul", Glass Onion, from the White Album, also sung by John (at least it sounds like him), so take your pick.

Edit: also "I am the Walrus" was included in the awful TV program, "Mystery Tour", don't remember if their masks corresponded to the instruments being played (Paul would have been playing bass guitar, ...)

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:

"The walrus was Paul", Glass Onion from the White Album. Not sure who was singing though (sounded like John). Not sure who was singing in "I am the Walrus".

Right. John sang lead on both songs, hence "According to the Walrus..."

Edit

Expanding on this a bit, John was having a bit of fun with the "Paul is dead." rumours when he sang "Here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."

Last edited:
Nice questions, George !

Are we limited to one answer per person? (I'd bow to anyone that got more than 3 correct)

Meanwhile, I'll go with #7, the easy one - Because (good to see the word "roughly" in there; it's only the chords that are from the backwards Sonanta)

Gokul43201 said:
Nice questions, George !

Thanks.

Are we limited to one answer per person? (I'd bow to anyone that got more than 3 correct)

One answer per person.

Meanwhile, I'll go with #7, the easy one - Because (good to see the word "roughly" in there; it's only the chords that are from the backwards Sonanta)

Correct.

I can't "hear" music the way some people, e.g., my older brother Joe, can. I once told Joe (no music playing at the time) that I had read that the chords of Because are based on the chords of Moonlight Sonnata played backwards. He thought for a few seconds and replied "Yeah, you're right".

Expanding on this a bit, John was having a bit of fun with the "Paul is dead." rumours when he sang "Here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."
I remember there was some song where Ringo states at the end of the song, "I'm very bored", which was misunderstood to be "I buried Paul". The other supposed clue was Paul being the only one barefoot on the cover of Abbey Road, which would have required Paul knowing he was going to die relatively soon after that picture was taken.

I think too much gets read out of Walrus. John has repeatedly mentioned that he just decided to have fun and make up some crazy lyrics with no real meaning. That it seems to be filled with ominous words when backmasked only adds to all the chatter.

This is not to say that the Walrus wasn't from Lewis Carroll, or that the Eggman wasn't possibly a reference to Paul. But I don't think there was anything deeper to it.

PS : Can't say I understand #6. When you say "slid" do you mean "rose"?

Last edited:

Dear Prudence.

Gokul43201 said:
PS : Can't say I understand #6. When you say "slid" do you mean "rose"?

Because there is so much stuff "out there" on the Beatles, I thought that I had to do something to introduce a challenge, so my wordings for some of the questions are quite nasty.

Evo said:

Dear Prudence.

Excellent.

Mia Farrow was Rosemary in the horror film Rosemary's Baby, and John wrote this song about/for Mia Farrow's sister, who went on the same retreat in India as the Beatles.

Jeff Reid said:
The other supposed clue was Paul being the only one barefoot on the cover of Abbey Road, which would have required Paul knowing he was going to die relatively soon after that picture was taken.
No it wouldn't, Paul's "death" took place long before Abbey Road

I believe that's the same tune as "Yesterday". Is that the answer? I remember he wrote the music before the words so he just made up some silly "breakfast lyrics".

Math Is Hard said:

I believe that's the same tune as "Yesterday". Is that the answer? I remember he wrote the music before the words so he just made up some silly "breakfast lyrics".

Hmmm ... question 4. doesn't ask for the name of a song.

Not fair! Goerge, can't you just make it multiple choice questions?

Okay, questions 1, 5, and 7 have been answered.

Here are slight rewordings of questions 2 and 6:

2. Which John song was inspired by a high Easy Rider?

6. On which George song did John play a slide guitar lead?

George Jones said:
Hmmm ... question 4. doesn't ask for the name of a song.

OK, George, I had to break down and Google it, but if I had only thought about it just a little bit harder I might could have gotten it on my own. Rats! I'm pretty sure I have heard this story, but just forgotten it. As it turns out, (and as you well know), the source of the melody was one of McCartney's dreams.

I woke up with a lovely tune in my head," Paul McCartney recalled to his biographer, Barry Miles. "I thought, 'That's great. I wonder what that is?'" He got up that morning in May 1965, went to the piano, and began playing the melody that would become "Yesterday." At first, lacking lyrics, he improvised with " Scrambled eggs, oh my baby, how I love your legs." While he really liked the tune, he had some reservations: "Because I'd dreamed it, I couldn't believe I'd written it." Today, with more than 1,600 covers, the song holds the Guinness world record for most recorded versions
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/060515/15dreams.b3.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
> 6. On which George song did John play a slide guitar lead?

Come on guys (and gals), George didn't write that many songs while still a member of the Beatles, and this was a very popular song.

Jeff Reid said:

Come on guys (and gals), George didn't write that many songs while still a member of the Beatles, and this was a very popular song.
I know the answer, but I already answered a question.

Last edited:
Quetion # 9

number nine...number nine...number nine...In Revolution 9 a snippet of a piece of music by Beethvoven can be briefly, but distinctly, heard. What piece is it? (It's not the "Moonlight Sonata")...number nine...number nine...number nine...

Math Is Hard said:
OK, George, I had to break down and Google it, but if I had only thought about it just a little bit harder I might could have gotten it on my own. Rats! I'm pretty sure I have heard this story, but just forgotten it. As it turns out, (and as you well know), the source of the melody was one of McCartney's dreams.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/060515/15dreams.b3.htm

Another one bites the dust - oops, that's Queen (including their almost astrophysicist lead guitarist), not the Beatles.

If you knew Scrambled Eggs without Google, you must be at least a little interested in the Beatles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before opening the remaining questions (2, 3, 6, 8, and zoobieshoe's #9 #9 ...) to everyone, I think a little advice from John Lennon is appropriate.

Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google
There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy
There's nothing you can make that can't be made
No one you can save that can't be saved
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be in time
It's easy
All you need is Google, all you need is Google
All you need is Google, Google, Google is all you need
Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google
There's nothing you can know that isn't known
Nothing you can see that isn't shown
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
It's easy
All you need is Google (all together now)
All you need is Google (everybody)

Last edited:
So is it now open to all?

I remember a little bit about scrambled eggs. I think Paul "heard" the music during an acid (or somesuch) trip...and he came out of it, and played it exactly how he remembered. But he was immediately worried about whether it was his own concoction or may have been something he had heard somewhere else and he'd end up plagiarizing someone else's work! I think it was a while before he could be convinced that it was original.

Tum ta da-da dum...

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:

Since Jeff's virtually given this away, I don't think it would be too much of a spoiler to throw in this video I just found (I was looking to a video of my guess and got lucky).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6HJ2zDu_11w&search=for you blue

After you (George) clarified that the "slid" was intentional, I still didn't get it, 'cause I was thinking of Harrison playing slide to a John song (which happened a lot in their later years).

Okay, okay - quiz is open to all.

Paul's ode to pot ? The first thing that came to mind was Pipes of Peace. But that's not a Beatles track, nor do I think it's actully about pot. So it's got to be something from the last three or four albums, and going a bold step further, I might conjecture it's from Sgt Peppers...unless this is a cryptic clue and you're referring to I Wanna Hold Your Hand. But going back to Sgt Pepper's, the best guess I can make is With a Little Help from My Friends, for the line in the chorus.

Zooby's Quetion : I haven't got a clue (there were all kinds of different pieces snuck in there), but I'm going for the most likely wrong "duh" guess: Symphony No. 9

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
unless this is a cryptic clue and you're referring to I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

Nope, not a cryptic clue. A couple hours after I posted the quiz, I realized that the question should have been Paul's ode to Mary Jane. This would have been nicely ambiguous, since Paul had a girlfriend named Jane Asher.

Thanks for the great video.

George Jones said:
Nope, not a cryptic clue. A couple hours after I posted the quiz, I realized that the question should have been Paul's ode to Mary Jane. This would have been nicely ambiguous, since Paul had a girlfriend named Jane Asher.
I think more people know about the slang terminology (at least after Tom Petty) than about Jane Asher.

PS : I added a line to my last post (at the end of the first paragraph), perhaps at the same time you were writing your response.

Gokul43201 said:
the best guess I can make is With a Little Help from My Friends, for the line in the chorus.

Sorry. Once you know what the song is about, the title and lyrics of the song take on a whole new meaning!

Maybe not a a smash hit, but much better known than Dear Prudence and the answers to other 2 unanswered questions.

All remaining answers are obtainable via Google - two fairly easily, one with a bit non-Beatles knowledge and a bit of work.

Being a good musician is not based on what kind of a person you are, it's based on how good your music is...and his was great

he was pretty not good, the others were lightyears ahead of him, too bad he got all the credit.

edit: zep>beatles

Tuneman said:
edit: zep>beatles

Barry Manilow > Zep

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Hint: 2 of the remaining answers are off Revolver and one is from the White Album.

Tuneman said:
laughing at your own jokes is cool dude, way 2 go

Hey, I happen to like Barry Manilow, although I like Led Zep II.

Tuneman said:
just so when my other post gets removed by the nazi mods, I wanted to say how ovverated lennon was, and how sick I am of hearing how great of a musician he is cause his lyrics were so great.

Who said that? John was a great musician because his lyrics, music, and presence were so great. Led Zeppelin was also great, though in a completely different way. As you grow older and more experienced with music, you'll learn to better distinguish between personal taste and artistic/musical quality.

George Jones said:
8. Name Paul's ode (as opposed to pde) to pot.

Got to get you into my life...hoo hoo hoo! <John in falsetto> dee dee dee dee</>

Back