What is spin? (advanced question)

• Thread starter pellman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary, Daniel seems to be asking why the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector should provide a generalized relativistic spin operator, when the non-relativistic spin operator does just fine.
pellman
I had thought that if under an infinitesimal rotation by [tex]\theta[/tex] around the z-axis a quantity transforms according to

[tex]\psi\rightarrow\left(1+i\left[S+\left(\frac{1}{i}x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-\frac{1}{i}y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)\right]\theta\right)\psi[/tex]

then the operator S is by definition the z-component of the spin operator for that quantity.

However, the Dirac field operator transforms (in the appropriate representation) according to

[tex]\psi\rightarrow\left(1+i\left[\frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}\sigma_{z}&0\\ 0&\sigma_{z}\end{array}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{i}x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-\frac{1}{i}y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)\right)\theta\right]\right)\psi[/tex]

yet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521478146/?tag=pfamazon01-20 states that [tex]\tau_{z}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}\sigma_{z}&0\\0&\sigma_{z}\end{array}\right)[/tex] cannot be the spin operator because it does not commute with [tex]\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}[/tex] The correct spin operator is--or has something to do with--the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector.

My question is, first, what's wrong with not commuting with [tex]\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}[/tex]? Why is that necessary for the a good spin operator?

And secondly, if [tex]\tau_{z}[/tex] is not a good spin operator, what about the fact that it generates the non-scalar part of a rotation? Is that not the definition of spin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pellman said:
My question is, first, what's wrong with not commuting with [tex]\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}[/tex]? Why is that necessary for the a good spin operator?

I don't know a definitive answer. However, isn't a part of [itex]\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}[/itex] the Hamiltonian? And (of course) if we want the eigenvalues of some operator to be constant in time, we require the operator to commute with the Hamiltonian.

The spin needn't be conserved. Actually for the Dirac Hamiltonian it isn't. It's only the total angular momentum that is conserved for a Hamiltonian generated time-evolution.

Actually, besides the total momentum and angular momentum, the Pauli-Lyubanski pseudovector also commutes with the Hamiltonian and therefore is conserved for all projective unitary irreds of the restricted Poincare' group.

Daniel.

I have also problems to understand that section of Ryder's book. In the part where Wigner's little group is discussed it is shown in detail that the non-relativistic spin operator is the correct spin operator in the rest frame of a particle. Moreover, it is shown how the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector reduces basically to the non-relativistic spin operator in the rest frame. But it seams to me that he does not spend a word to explain why the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector should actually provide a generalized relativistic spin operator.

Last edited:

1. What is spin?

Spin is a quantum property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is not a literal spinning motion like that of a top, but rather a fundamental characteristic that particles possess.

2. How does spin differ from classical angular momentum?

Unlike classical angular momentum, spin is not related to the physical rotation of a particle. It is a purely quantum phenomenon that arises from the wave-like nature of particles and their interactions with magnetic fields.

3. What are the possible values of spin?

The possible values of spin are quantized, meaning they can only take specific discrete values. For elementary particles, spin can have values of 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, and so on. Each type of particle has a specific spin value.

4. How is spin measured or observed?

Spin is typically measured through its effects on other particles. For example, the spin of an electron can be determined by observing the deflection of its path in a magnetic field. Other methods include scattering experiments and spectroscopy techniques.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding spin?

Understanding spin is crucial in many areas of modern physics, including quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. It also has practical applications in fields such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and information technology, where spin-based devices are used in data storage and processing.