Solving Analytic Problems: 3 Difficulties & Solutions

• Thread starter jenkirk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to damped harmonic oscillators. The first problem involves showing the ratio of the period of a damped oscillator to an undamped oscillator, given that the amplitude drops to 1/e after n cycles. The second problem involves finding the natural frequency of oscillation for a ball supported by a light elastic spring, when the terminal speed and spring stretch are known. The conversation also briefly mentions using LaTeX to input mathematical symbols.
jenkirk
Hey I am new to this site, i used to have george jones as a proff he was an amazing guy but now this new proff i don't really get, i am having trouble with proofs, i don't know how to do them well i have 3 problems I am having trouble with
given that the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its initial value after n cycles, show the ratio of period of oscillation to the period of the same oscillator with no damping is,
T (damped)/T(undamped) = square root (1+ 1/(4pi squared n squared)

The second question is: the terminal speed of a freely falling ball is v. when the ball is supported by a light elastic spring the spring stretches by an amount x, show the natural frewuency of oscillation is:
w (omega) = (square root g/x) - g/(2v)

haha hey I am jen by the way

Physics news on Phys.org
jenkirk said:
Hey I am new to this site, i used to have george jones as a proff he was an amazing guy but now this new proff i don't really get, i am having trouble with proofs, i don't know how to do them well i have 3 problems I am having trouble with
given that the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its initial value after n cycles, show the ratio of period of oscillation to the period of the same oscillator with no damping is,
T (damped)/T(undamped) = square root (1+ 1/(4pi squared n squared)
What have you done? Can you write the expressions for [itex]\omega[/itex] for the damped oscillator ([itex]m\ddot{x}+ b\dot{x} + kx = 0[/itex]) and [itex]\omega_0[/itex] for the undamped oscillator ([itex]m\ddot{x} + kx = 0[/itex]).?

The second question is: the terminal speed of a freely falling ball is v. when the ball is supported by a light elastic spring the spring stretches by an amount x, show the natural frewuency of oscillation is:
w (omega) = (square root g/x) - g/(2v)
Can you determine the coefficients "b" and "k" in [itex]m\ddot{x}+ b\dot{x} + kx = 0[/itex]?

AM

im trying

hello, i have attempted the problem many times hahha, i know how to prove that w = square root (g/x) that is the easy part and the original question was w = square root of (g/x - (g squared /(4vsquared))) so i figured w squared then is equal to g/x - g squared /(4vsquared) trying to work backwards and i know that they start with
-kx + mg= 0 and k= mg/x so w= square root of mg/xm or g/x
im thinking its somewhere in this equation that i should be able to configure the right answer but i don't know
and for the first problem we have never done anythin with amplitude and period before so i just don't know where to put in 1/e?

p.s. how do you put in those symbols?

jenkirk said:
given that the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its initial value after n cycles

What is the expression for the position of a particle undergoing damped harmonic motion?

What is the (time-dependent) amplitude of a damped harmonic oscllator?

how do you put in those symbols?

It's LaTeX. You can look at examples by clicking on the mathematics in any post that uses it. Also, the tread Introducing https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997" is very useful.

It takes a while to get the hang of LaTeX, and it can be a pain to use, but it does produce nice results.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the 3 main difficulties in solving analytical problems?

The three main difficulties in solving analytical problems are identifying the problem, organizing and analyzing the data, and finding an effective solution.

2. How can I identify the problem in an analytical situation?

To identify the problem in an analytical situation, you must first clearly define the goal or objective. Then, gather all relevant information and data to understand the current situation. Finally, analyze the information to identify any discrepancies or patterns that may indicate a problem.

3. What are some common solutions to analytical problems?

Some common solutions to analytical problems include using logical reasoning, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, seeking input from others, and using tools such as diagrams or algorithms.

4. How can I effectively organize and analyze data for an analytical problem?

To effectively organize and analyze data for an analytical problem, it is important to have a clear understanding of the problem and the relevant data. Use tools such as spreadsheets or graphs to visually represent the data and look for any patterns or trends. Additionally, consider using statistical analysis techniques to gain further insights.

5. How can I ensure that my solution to an analytical problem is effective?

To ensure that your solution to an analytical problem is effective, it is important to test and evaluate the solution. This can be done through trial and error, seeking feedback from others, or using simulations. Additionally, continuously monitoring the problem and its solution can help to identify any issues and make necessary adjustments.