What's a good book on intro analynical geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles with understanding analytical math concepts such as vectors, cross product, dot product, line and plane equations, and intersection of lines and planes. They are looking for textbook recommendations that provide a deeper understanding of these concepts as their current school textbook is not helpful in this regard. The conversation ends with some suggestions for recommended books on these topics.
p3t3r1
Hi, I am doing the Discrete math course in high school and we are doing some analynical math concepts like
vectors,
cross product,
dot product,
line equation in the form of r = a + tm,
plane equations in the form of r = a +tu +sv,
intersection of lines
and planes and planes and planes etc..

I don't really know which branch of mathematics they belong to and after reading about 3 pages of book recommendations I couldn't find anything on them. Seems of to full of calculus for the most part. Can anyone suggest some good textbooks for a beginner? My school's textbook is quite boring and horrible since it tells you how but not why. This is really hard when application questions come up on a test. You can memorize all the concepts you want but you can't solve it unless you know what it is about. This thinking "outside the box" is driving me crazy and I think I need to understand the math concepts before doing anymore homework.

My math background isn't exactly great since I focused on memorization during my early years. Thus, I forget most of the Grade 11 mathematics I learned before other than the stuff I need for my current math course. Bummer. Thanks for any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe About Vectors by Banesh Hoffman. Here's the table of contents. Or maybe this book, which has more on lines and planes. At a more advanced level, there's A Vector Space Approach to Geometry by Melvin Hausner. He does use a little calculus here and there, but you could probably just ignore it. (No, I don't have stock in Dover, :rolleyes: I just like their selection of books).

Last edited:
Some great books there. Thanks alot. :smile:

1. What is analytical geometry?

Analytical geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study geometric shapes and their properties using coordinates and equations.

2. Why is analytical geometry important?

Analytical geometry is important because it allows us to describe and analyze geometric shapes and their properties using mathematical equations. It is also used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. What skills are required to learn analytical geometry?

To learn analytical geometry, one should have a strong understanding of algebra, especially in solving equations and graphing. A good understanding of basic geometry concepts is also helpful.

4. What are some applications of analytical geometry?

Some applications of analytical geometry include solving geometric problems in physics and engineering, designing computer graphics and animations, and analyzing data in fields such as economics and biology.

5. Can you recommend a good book on introductory analytical geometry?

Yes, "Introduction to Analytical Geometry" by C. H. Edwards Jr. and David E. Penney is a highly recommended book for beginners. It covers all the fundamental concepts and includes many examples and exercises to practice.