PF PHOTO CONTEST - We Built This City (12/22-12/28)

In Summary, the contest topic is scenes from a city or any urban area. Members are allowed to submit one digital photo per contest. The photo must be of a scene from within the city or urban area and must be taken within the contest period. The photo must be no larger than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. The photo must be posted in the thread and linked using the img command. The poll at the end of the contest will decide the winner.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
We Built This City!

We have had contest depicting the tranquil countryside, farmland, and other rural areas. This time, we deal with the big bad boy. The theme this week will be on scenes from a city or any urban area (suburbia doesn't count).

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukkah, and Happy Holidays!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
317494666_373063d308.jpg

Wow, people drive REALLY fast in Tennessee! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Wow, people drive REALLY fast in Tennessee! :rofl:
:rofl: everything but the snail mail...

And here's another Tennessee shot (Nashville):

http://www.astroskwurl.net/nashville2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks! Just because Zz chose a terrible, terrible 80's number for the thread title doesn't mean you've all got to submit pics of Music City!

Zz, how could you?

larkspur said:
317494666_373063d308.jpg

This is a really, really good photo.

Gokul43201 said:
Folks! Just because Zz chose a terrible, terrible 80's number for the thread title doesn't mean you've all got to submit pics of Music City!

Zz, how could you?

Why? Can't you stop yourself from humming the tune, Gokul? :biggrin:

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Why? Can't you stop yourself from humming the tune, Gokul? :biggrin:

Zz.
Yes, I'll admit it. I can't get the blasted thing out of my head! :grumpy:

cyrusabdollahi said:
This is a really, really good photo.

Thanks!:blushing:

Gokul43201 said:

This was taken in Knoxville. It is the newly restored Tennessee Theater that was used as a backdrop for a scene in the October Sky movie. The "T" was not lit in the movie though...

Gokul43201 said:

Same here! :grumpy: I better go sing some Christmas carols to get it unstuck from my head! :rofl:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6879/sanfrantg1.jpg

From London Eye, 8 Dec 2006

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/london-eye1.JPG

http://bikeflat.com/albums/uther/boston_1.jpg

Gokul43201 said:
Same here! My first job is haunting me - someone used to put this 80's collection over and over again. I think it brained my damage.

Yonoz said:
I think it brained my damage.

:rofl: :biggrin: I have to confess that I like 80s music, though, mostly I just prefer not having too much of anyone kind of music.

here is Philadelphia:http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/9223/2004104580887718981_rs.jpgtoo bad i had to edit the size. it looks a lot better when it is bigger.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
here is Philadelphia:

Please check the maximum size listed in our rules for this contest and then edit your post. If not, I will have to remove it so that the PF formatting doesn't get messed up due to the width.

Zz.

Here's mine. Of course, it had to be the Chicago skyline. This was taken from a friend's condo on the 33rd floor.

DCP_1228.jpg

Zz.

Yep, I definitely have to visit you in summer when things are pretty and green (and warm).

Moonbear said:
Yep, I definitely have to visit you in summer when things are pretty and green (and warm).

Things are pretty and green in Morgantown :biggrin:...I can't believe we're having a snowless Christmas, but I don't mind it :wink:.

Snowless I can live with, but it's really weird that it's warm enough that I don't even need a jacket yet! I think we're supposed to finally get snow this week though. NOT looking forward to that.

Moonbear said:

Just remember that when it is warm and green and pretty, it is also tornado season over here.

:biggrin:

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Just remember that when it is warm and green and pretty, it is also tornado season over here.

:biggrin:

Zz.

I'll take my chances with tornados over blizzards! :rofl:

Just a reminder that you have 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest. C'mon, people! Finding a picture can help you get that tune out of your head!

:)

Zz.

Fresh from today, I wanted to test my digital camera. This is McGill College avenue and the street lead to the roddick gates of Mcgill univerity, which you can see in front of the mountain. The mountain in background is Mount Royal.

HPIM0040.jpg

Last edited:

1. What is the theme for this week's PF Photo Contest?

The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "We Built This City".

2. How long do I have to submit my entry?

The submission period for this week's PF Photo Contest begins on 12/22 and ends on 12/28.

3. Can I submit multiple entries?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit up to three entries for each PF Photo Contest.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, relevance to the theme, and overall quality of the photo.

5. What is the prize for the winner?

The winner will receive a cash prize of $100 and their photo will be featured on the PF Photo Contest website and social media pages.