Solve PCAT Physics Problem: Lawn Mower Force & Acceleration in 2.5s

• Thread starter fishert16
  • Start date
In summary, this is a problem on a practice PCAT test for Pharmacy school that involves pushing a 14kg lawn mower at a constant speed with a force of 88N directed along the handle at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal. The problem asks for a free-body diagram showing all forces acting on the mower, the calculation of the horizontal friction force, the normal force exerted vertically upward on the mower by the ground, and the required force to accelerate the mower from rest to 1.5m/s in 2.5 seconds assuming the same friction force. The equations F=ma and Vf=Vi+at can be used to solve this problem, with the normal force being equal to the weight of the mower
fishert16
A person pushes a 14kg lawn mover at constant sped with a force of 88N directed along the handle, which is at an angle of 45 degress to the horizontal. (a) draw the Free-body diagram showing all forces acting on the mower. (b) Calculate the horizontal friction force on the mower, then (c) the normal force exerted vertically upward on the mower by the ground. (d) What force must the person exert on the lawn mower accelerate it from rest to 1.5m/s in 2.5 seconds, assuming the same friction force?

This is a problem on my practice PCAT test for Pharmacy school. And its been a while since I have had physics so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
well here are some eqns to consider,

F=ma therefore if an object isn't accelerating the net forces are zero.
The "normal" force is the one from the Earth pushing upwards on the mower; from the above comment, if the mower isn't burrowing underground, the Normal force must then equal the weight of the mower plus whatever part of the push is directed vertically.

Vf=Vi+at (linear acceleration, relating time, initial and final velocities)

PS: I sympathize, I am myself brushing the rust off of 20 years of non-use since school. Sort of like riding a bike, but more like riding one with a blindfold, as I have had to reaquaint myself with all the tricks that were once second nature. Can be done, just in the future try to figure out what eqns might be relevant and some reasoning as to which ones might be most useful. You'll get a lot more help that way.

for reaching out for help with this physics problem. I am happy to assist you in solving it.

(a) The free-body diagram for this problem would show the forces acting on the lawn mower as follows: the force of 88N directed along the handle at a 45 degree angle, the weight of the lawn mower (mg) acting downwards, the normal force exerted by the ground upwards, and the frictional force acting in the opposite direction to the motion.

(b) To calculate the horizontal friction force, we can use the formula Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. Since the mower is moving at a constant speed, we can assume that the friction force is equal to the applied force of 88N. Therefore, Ff = 88N.

(c) To calculate the normal force, we can use the formula ΣFy = 0, where ΣFy is the sum of all the forces in the vertical direction. Since the mower is not accelerating in the vertical direction, the normal force must be equal to the weight of the mower, which is 14kg multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Therefore, N = 137.2N.

(d) To find the force needed to accelerate the mower, we can use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the mower, and a is the acceleration. Since the mower is starting from rest and accelerating to a speed of 1.5 m/s in 2.5 seconds, the acceleration would be (1.5 m/s)/(2.5 s) = 0.6 m/s^2. Therefore, the force required to accelerate the mower would be F = (14 kg)(0.6 m/s^2) = 8.4N.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and refresh your understanding of physics concepts. Good luck on your PCAT test!

What is the PCAT Problem and how can I get help with it?

The PCAT Problem refers to a specific problem or question on the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT). It is a standardized test used for admission to pharmacy schools in the United States. If you need help with a specific PCAT problem, there are many resources available such as study guides, practice tests, and tutoring services.

How many questions are on the PCAT and what types of questions can I expect?

There are a total of 192 questions on the PCAT, divided into five sections: Biological Processes, Chemical Processes, Critical Reading, Quantitative Reasoning, and Writing. The types of questions can include multiple choice, short answer, and essay responses.

What is the best way to prepare for the PCAT Problem?

The best way to prepare for the PCAT Problem is to start studying early and consistently, familiarize yourself with the test format and content, and take practice tests to assess your strengths and weaknesses. It is also helpful to review basic concepts in biology, chemistry, and math. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

Can I use a calculator on the PCAT Problem?

No, calculators are not allowed on the PCAT. However, you will be provided with an online calculator during the quantitative reasoning section of the test. It is important to practice mental math and memorize common formulas before taking the test.

How is the PCAT Problem scored and what is a good score?

The PCAT is scored on a scale of 200-600, with an average score of 400. A good score is typically considered to be above 400, with scores above 500 being highly competitive. However, the score needed for admission to a specific pharmacy school may vary, so it is important to research the average PCAT scores for the schools you are interested in.