How Do You Solve a Physics Problem Involving Forces and Motion?

• Thread starter fishert16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the problem involves a person pushing a 14kg lawn mower with a force of 88N at an angle of 45 degrees. The horizontal and vertical components of this force are calculated to be 124.4N. The normal force exerted on the mower by the ground can be calculated by adding the weight of the mower to its vertical component. To accelerate the mower from rest to 1.5m/s in 2.5 seconds, the person must exert a force greater than 88N.
fishert16
Cant figure out how to do this problem??

A person pushes a 14kg lawn mover at constant sped with a force of 88N directed along the handle, which is at an angle of 45 degress to the horizontal. (a) draw the Free-body diagram showing all forces acting on the mower. (b) Calculate the horizontal friction force on the mower, then (c) the normal force exerted vertically upward on the mower by the ground. (d) What force must the person exert on the lawn mower accelerate it from rest to 1.5m/s in 2.5 seconds, assuming the same friction force?

This is a problem on my practice PCAT test for Pharmacy school. And its been a while since I have had physics so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you done? Have you drawn a free body diagram at least? Which parts of the question have you attempted?

Because the angle of the handle is 45 degrees, the force along the handle of 88N can be broken up into a horizonal force or square root of 2x88; and a vertical downward force of the same amount. I.e. 1.414 x 88 = 124.4 N.

Nelson

Nelson,

er, that's close but sin and cos 45 are actually= sqrt(2)/2=1/sqrt(2)=.707

On the other post, I mentioned what the Normal force is, so can you calculate it? Hint: weight plus vertical component of push but directed upwards. So what is weight?

Related to How Do You Solve a Physics Problem Involving Forces and Motion?

1. How can I approach the problem?

Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for patterns or similarities to previous problems you have solved. Also, make sure you understand all the given information and any relevant equations or formulas.

2. What resources can I use to help me solve the problem?

You can use textbooks, online resources, or consult with a classmate or teacher. You can also try using problem-solving strategies or techniques, such as working backwards or drawing diagrams.

3. I still can't figure it out, what should I do?

Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Sometimes stepping away from a problem can help you see it in a different light. You can also try explaining the problem to someone else or seeking additional help from a tutor or classmate.

4. How can I check if my answer is correct?

Double-check your work and make sure you have followed all steps correctly. You can also plug your answer back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all the given conditions. If possible, try to compare your answer to a known solution or use an online calculator or solver.

5. What can I do to prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

Practice regularly and review any concepts or techniques that you struggle with. Make sure you understand the material before moving on to more complex problems. You can also try keeping a notebook or journal to track your progress and any mistakes you make to learn from them.