Probability of Drawing an Ace from Divided Deck

In summary: Now add those two probabilities together to get the final answer for the probability of drawing an ace from the half deck.Exactly correct. Now add those two probabilities together to get the final answer for the probability of drawing an ace from the half deck.In summary, the probability of drawing an ace from the half deck after it has been shuffled and one ace has already been drawn and placed in it is 3/51 + 1/27 = 4/27. This is because there are 26 cards in the half deck that are not the transferred ace, giving a probability of 26/27 of drawing one of them, and each of these cards has a 3/51 chance of being an ace. Additionally, there is a
kakab00

Homework Statement

A deck of cards is shuffled and then divided into two halves of 26 cards each. A card is drawn from one of the halves; it turns out to be an ace. The ace is then placed in the 2nd half –deck. The half is then shuffled and a card is drawn from it. Compute the probability that this drawn card is an ace.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Ans: 4/27 + 3/27 +2/27+ 1/27(because cos the other half deck may have 4,3,2,1 aces after the original ace was placed there?)

Physics news on Phys.org
kakab00 said:

Homework Statement

A deck of cards is shuffled and then divided into two halves of 26 cards each. A card is drawn from one of the halves; it turns out to be an ace. The ace is then placed in the 2nd half –deck. The half is then shuffled and a card is drawn from it. Compute the probability that this drawn card is an ace.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Ans: 4/27 + 3/27 +2/27+ 1/27(because cos the other half deck may have 4,3,2,1 aces after the original ace was placed there?)

By that argument basically ANY stack of cards has that probability. What do you know about the 'half deck'? It has 1 ace and 26 cards that could be anything. If you pick a card, you will either i) pick the ace or ii) pick one of the other cards. What is the probability of each and given that what are the odds you are holding an ace in each of the two cases?

So you have to use conditional probility?

Assuming A is the situation where the 2nd half-deck has only 1 ace
B is the situation where the 2nd half-deck has 2 aces
C is the situation where the 2nd half-deck has 3 aces
I is the situation where the ace that was picked was choosen
D is the situation where any other aces was picked

then P(I|A) + P(I|B) + P(I|C) + P(D|A) P(D|B) + P(D|C) ?

Do you know how partitioning with probability works?

You don't need to count the aces in the 2nd half deck. If you pick a card from it that isn't the replaced ace, what are the odds that it in turn is an ace?

Office_Shredder said:
Do you know how partitioning with probability works?

sadly I don't really quite know how , I'm pretty weak in this chapter

You don't need to count the aces in the 2nd half deck. If you pick a card from it that isn't the replaced ace, what are the odds that it in turn is an ace?

3/52 X 1/27?

kakab00 said:
sadly I don't really quite know how , I'm pretty weak in this chapter

3/52 X 1/27?

I like 3/51 better. We know where one ace is, so the other 51 cards have 3 aces spread amoung them. So one of the 'other cards' has 3/51 probability of being an ace. Now if you draw from the half deck what the probability you will get one of the 'other cards'?

Dick said:
I like 3/51 better. We know where one ace is, so the other 51 cards have 3 aces spread amoung them. So one of the 'other cards' has 3/51 probability of being an ace. Now if you draw from the half deck what the probability you will get one of the 'other cards'?

probability of drawing 'other cards' would be 48/51 x 1/27? why would you still need this anyway, I thought the answer would be just 3/51 X 1/27 + 1/27(the ace that was drawn from the first deck)

kakab00 said:
probability of drawing 'other cards' would be 48/51 x 1/27? why would you still need this anyway, I thought the answer would be just 3/51 X 1/27 + 1/27(the ace that was drawn from the first deck)

Almost, but why 3/51 X 1/27? There are 26 'other' cards in the 'half-deck'.

Dick said:
There are 27 cards once you've added the ace.

kabab00:

The chance that a different card than the transferred ace comes up is
26/27, and not 1/27, right?

NateTG said:
There are 27 cards once you've added the ace.

kabab00:

The chance that a different card than the transferred ace comes up is
26/27, and not 1/27, right?

'Other' cards are cards other than the transferred ace.

Dick said:

3/51 x 1/27 is the chance that you would pick one of the other aces from the half deck

It is not! 3/51 X 26/27 is. There are 27 cards in the deck. 26 are not the transferred ace. You have a 26/27 chance of drawing one of them and each of them has a 3/51 chance of being an ace. Now add on the odds of the other way to get an ace.

Dick said:
It is not! 3/51 X 26/27 is. There are 27 cards in the deck. 26 are not the transferred ace. You have a 26/27 chance of drawing one of them and each of them has a 3/51 chance of being an ace. Now add on the odds of the other way to get an ace.

the other ways to get an ace would be 1/27 ??(the one that was drawn from the first deck)

Exactly correct.

Related to Probability of Drawing an Ace from Divided Deck

1. What is the probability of drawing an ace from a divided deck?

The probability of drawing an ace from a divided deck depends on the number of aces in the divided deck and the total number of cards in the divided deck. For a standard deck of 52 cards, the probability of drawing an ace from a divided deck is 4/52, or approximately 7.7%.

2. How do you calculate the probability of drawing an ace from a divided deck?

To calculate the probability of drawing an ace from a divided deck, you would divide the number of aces in the divided deck by the total number of cards in the divided deck. For example, if a divided deck has 5 aces and a total of 30 cards, the probability would be 5/30, or approximately 16.7%.

3. Does the probability of drawing an ace change if the divided deck is shuffled?

No, the probability of drawing an ace from a divided deck remains the same whether the deck is shuffled or not. As long as the number of aces and total number of cards in the divided deck remain the same, the probability will not change.

4. What is the relationship between the number of aces in the divided deck and the probability of drawing an ace?

The higher the number of aces in the divided deck, the higher the probability of drawing an ace. For example, a divided deck with 10 aces and a total of 50 cards will have a higher probability of drawing an ace compared to a divided deck with only 2 aces and a total of 50 cards.

5. Is it possible to have a probability of drawing an ace that is greater than 1?

No, the probability of drawing an ace cannot be greater than 1. It is represented as a fraction or decimal between 0 and 1. The closer the probability is to 1, the higher the likelihood of drawing an ace. A probability of 1 would mean that drawing an ace is guaranteed.