Is the Universe Missing a Chunk of Matter?

In summary, an astronomer has found a "gaping hole" in the universe. This hole is much larger than any other region they have found so far and it is unclear if it is a sign of dark energy.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The inability to detect dark matter without visible light sources in the vicinity is not surprising. Is the void a 'pocket' of empty space, or a zone empty beyond observational limits? How large is this region compared to the observable universe at the same scale? What is it's CMB temperature? I'm not convinced this is a compelling observation.

Does the void means a part of the space where there's no matter, planets or stars? The source for this observation seems rather vague.

Last edited:
Good find!
Here is an earlier paper about this
http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.0908

Your BBC article has new information. This article is a previous one by Rudnick who was quoted in the BBC article

In case anyone is interested here is the space.com piece on it as well
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070823_huge_hole.html

I think this finding is consistent with standard cosmology. At least as Rudnick presents it, what it does is demonstrate the Sachs-Wolf effect and (more generally) the presence everywhere of dark energy---equivalently a small positive cosmological constant Lambda.

Light passing through clusters of galaxies picks up energy by the socalled Integrated Sachs Wolf mechanism
and that partly offsets the inevitable LOSS of energy due to expansion of distance, which lengthens wavelengths.
Because of expansion, light traveling over cosmological distance is getting COLDER on average, but by passing thru clusters of matter it picks up a little energy so it doesn't come off so cold. If it goes for a very long time without passing thru any crowds of galaxies----in this case the void is a billion lightyear across---then it reaches us unusually cold. They saw a cold spot on the CMB temperature map and figured that it might be due to a void, so they looked for the void and there it was.

I think it tends to confirm the standard picture----which not all the news does these days: there have been some surprises, like the MAGIC result about gammaray going different speeds (see the IACT thread)
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=181602

Last edited:
I notice several articles mention that "voids" have been found before, but none this size. It's much bigger than normal. Nobody's mentioning how big is normal? How much "bigger than normal" is this? Twice as big? A thousand times?

Nevrmind; calculated it myself. Southern Local Supervoid; 158Mpc. 1 pc=3.26 ly. 158mpc=474,000,000 ly. The newly-found void is about twice the size of the SLS.

Is that right?

LURCH said:
Nevrmind; calculated it myself. Southern Local Supervoid; 158Mpc. 1 pc=3.26 ly. 158mpc=474,000,000 ly. The newly-found void is about twice the size of the SLS.

Is that right?

Lurch your arithmetic is at least as good as mine
and I like your detail knowledge in a number of areas :approve:
Looks right to me!

Have to find the reference but I read somewhere that the probability for such a void in LCDM is under 10^-5. IIRC there is a recent work of Peebles about void distributions. Anyway, one should be careful inferring about cosmological models based on single observations.

Yeah it does seem very vague, I was hoping someone else had heard more about it...

I'm rather intrigued by this, as I know people who work on structure formation are quite busy thinking about this atm.

I don't think the full details have been made public yet, so we have to wait for the paper.

Well, it is actually mentioned in the paper :rolleyes::

How likely is such a large underdense region in a concordance cosmology? Suppose there is only one such large underdense region in the whole volume up to z=1. The corresponding void frequency is then the ratio of the comoving volume of the void to the comoving volume of the Universe to z=1, which is roughly 3 × 10−5. Is this consistent with LCDM? Void statistics have been done for a number of optical galaxy surveys, as well as numerical structure formation simulations. Taking the most optimistic void statistics (filled dots in Fig. 9 of Hoyle & Vogeley, 2004) which can be approximated by log P = −(r/Mpc)/15, a 140 Mpc void would occur with a probability of 5 × 10−10, considerably more rare than our estimate for our Universe (3×10−5) based on the existence of the cold spot. One must keep in mind, however, that observational and numerical void probability studies are limited to rc  30 Mpc; it is not yet clear how these should be extrapolated to rc > 100 Mpc.

Therefore they conclude:
Voids this large currently seem improbable in the concordance cosmology,...

It is http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.0908

Extragalactic Radio Sources and the WMAP Cold Spot
Authors: Lawrence Rudnick, Shea Brown, Liliya R. Williams

Thanks for the link, Brad. The void appears to be explicable without invoking ATM physics. It is, however, an interesting observation that merits further study. The fundamental question is whether this an example of new physics, or an unforeseen interaction within the bounds of existing physics. I admittedly lean toward the unforeseen side of existing physics.

Last edited:
could this hole or void be paint in the picture of axis of evil (fimngers of god) story be present in the work where of Joào Magueijo. He is working on this am i wright ?..

They have said how wide the void is.
I'm curious about how deep it goes or is there any data on this?

emanaly
Astrnomers, have found a great cosmic nothingness which as I understood from the link below is considered as an evidence of dark energy.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6962185.stm
Does the "cold spot" relate in any way (like in its geometry) to the previously discovered "warm spot" other than their size, and magnitude of deviation from mean CMB temperature? Can we tell if it or its surroundings are accelerating in expansion? What might be at the center of this void?

this is hardly a 'hole'. it's just a large region deviod of matter. rare, I'm sure, but it is not a hole.

1. What is a "gaping hole" in the universe?

A "gaping hole" in the universe refers to a region of the universe that has significantly fewer galaxies, stars, or other celestial bodies compared to its surroundings. This can also be known as a cosmic void.

2. How large is the discovered gaping hole in the universe?

The size of the discovered gaping hole in the universe can vary greatly. Some holes can be as small as a few million light-years across, while others can span over a billion light-years in diameter.

3. What causes a gaping hole to form in the universe?

The exact cause of a gaping hole in the universe is still unknown, but it is believed to be a result of the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, regions with less matter become more spread out, creating voids.

4. Are there any potential dangers posed by a gaping hole in the universe?

No, there are no known dangers posed by a gaping hole in the universe. These voids are simply areas with fewer galaxies and stars, and they do not affect the overall structure or stability of the universe.

5. How do scientists discover and study gaping holes in the universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to detect and study gaping holes in the universe, including telescopes, surveys, and computer simulations. They look for regions with fewer galaxies and use data on the motions of galaxies to map out the structure of the universe and identify voids.