Relativistic mechanical index of refraction

In summary, the relativistic mechanical index of refraction is found to be n = \sqrt{[( E - V + mc^{2})^{2}- (mc^{2})^{2}]/[( E + mc^{2})^{2}- (mc^{2})^{2}]}. The relativistic centripetal force is found to be mv^{2}/R\sqrt{1 - ( v/c )^{2}}. Additionally, the relativistic index of refraction is related to the geometric index of refraction by dp/dt = n\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds} .
Helios
I have found the relativistic mechanical index of refraction which I think is

n = [tex]\sqrt{[( E - V + mc^{2})^{2}- (mc^{2})^{2}]/[( E + mc^{2})^{2}- (mc^{2})^{2}][/tex]

Follow the same procedure as this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=176081&highlight=optico-mechanical

You will have to know that

mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]/[tex]\sqrt{1 - ( v/c )^{2}}[/tex] = [( E - V + mc[tex]^{2}[/tex] )[tex]^{2}[/tex] - (mc[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex] ]/( E - V + mc[tex]^{2}[/tex] )

Also the relativistic centripetal force is

mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]/R[tex]\sqrt{1 - ( v/c )^{2}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't follow the details of this (perhaps other posters will have more to say), but I will point out that dp/dt is also equal to the above expression for a particle of mass m moving at velocity v in a circle of radius R. I.e. the rate of change of momentum of the particle with respect to laboratory time is equal to the gamma*m*v^2/r, with the usual relativistic defintion of gamma.

The idea is to turn a kinematic problem into an optical problem. This is the so-called optico-mechanical analogy. The law ( as with the ray theory of light ) says the particle will go from one place to the next in a path of least optical length [tex]\ell[/tex]. This is distinguished from geometric length "s" in which the shortest distance is a straight line. Where there is no potential energy ( V = 0 ), the index of refraction "n" equals 1 and the optical length equals the geometric length and the particle travels in a straight line. Where there is constant potential energy, the particle also travels in a straight line.

The condition for least optical length is expressed

[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] = [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] n ds = 0​
then
[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\delta[/tex]n ds + n d[tex]\delta[/tex]s

[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex] ( [tex]\nabla[/tex]n . [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] ) ds + n ( [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}[/tex] . d[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] )​

integrating by parts

[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] = n [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}[/tex] . [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] + [tex]\int[/tex] ( [tex]\nabla[/tex]n . [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] ) ds - d( n [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}[/tex] ) . [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex]​

rewrite this as

[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] = n [tex]\delta[/tex]s + [tex]\int[/tex] [ ( [tex]\nabla[/tex]n . [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] ) - [tex]\frac{d}{ds}[/tex]( n [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}[/tex] ) . [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] ]ds​

rewrite this as

[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] = n [tex]\delta[/tex]s + [tex]\int[/tex] [ [tex]\nabla[/tex]n - ( [tex]\nabla[/tex]n . [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}[/tex])[tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}[/tex] - n [tex]\frac{d^{2}\vec{r}}{ds^{2}}[/tex] ]. [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\vec{r}[/tex] ds​

There. This is a derivation of the ray equation ( the bracketed expression, which must equal zero ). I see it as a kind of "law of everything", for light and matter. I must comment that I wish it was taught to me in college but it wasn't.

For the full relevance of this, see the thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=176081&highlight=optico-mechanical

What is the relativistic mechanical index of refraction?

The relativistic mechanical index of refraction (nr) is a measure of how much a material bends or refracts light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which describes how the speed of light changes in different reference frames.

How is the relativistic mechanical index of refraction different from the traditional index of refraction?

The traditional index of refraction does not take into account the effects of special relativity, while the relativistic mechanical index of refraction does. This is important when dealing with high-speed objects, such as particles moving near the speed of light.

How is the relativistic mechanical index of refraction calculated?

The equation for calculating the relativistic mechanical index of refraction is nr = n / γ, where n is the traditional index of refraction and γ is the Lorentz factor, which describes the effects of special relativity on an object's velocity.

What types of materials have a significant relativistic mechanical index of refraction?

Materials that have a high index of refraction and are capable of reaching high velocities, such as gases and plasmas, will have a significant relativistic mechanical index of refraction. This is because the speed of light in these materials can change significantly due to their high index of refraction.

How does the relativistic mechanical index of refraction affect light passing through a material?

When light passes through a material with a high relativistic mechanical index of refraction, it will be bent or refracted more than it would be in a material with a lower index. This can result in interesting effects, such as the bending of light around a massive object due to its high relativistic mechanical index of refraction.