Gravity where acceleration is changing

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to integrate a change in acceleration. He uses a=gm/d^2, but when he integrates to find velocity, he gets a different function each time. He ends up splitting space into increments and solving a first order ode to determine velocity.
okkvlt
I have a question about gravity:

How do i formulate an equation that incorporates the change in distance between two objects- in other words, where the acceleration due to gravity is changing as the distance changes, instead of simply where the acceleration is held constant. Here's how far I've gotten:

y=-.5ax^2+sx+d
where y is location(distance) and x is time. s is initial velocity and d is initial location and a is acceleration due to gravity.
But just one simple change and things become much more complicated.
Suppose i want to include the change in acceleration.
I use a=gm/d^2 where a is the acceleration, g is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the planet, and d is distance.
Which means d^2y/dx^2=gm/y^2, so y'' is a function of y and not a function of x. That's my problem. How do i integrate the derivative when the derivative is a function of the dependent variable? I need to know the function of x that equals y in order to integrate, but i need to integrate to find the function of x that equals y. So I am kind of left going in circles trying to solve an impossible problem.

I can't figure out how to integrate this.
I could try integrating to find dx/dy, which would be the inverse of velocity(time/distance instead of distance/time), and manipulate that to get something meaningful, but I am unsure whether that's even possible.
I don't think i can simply replace a with gm/y^2, but I am not sure because this is really confusing me. when i differentiate implicitly to find velocity after replacing a with gm/y^2, i get dy/dx=f[x,y]. Now i have to differentiate velocity=dy/dx to find acceleration=d^2y/dx^2 and verify whether the second derivative equals gm/y^2. But how do i find the second derivative when the first derivative is a function of both variables? this seems to be related to the problem that y'' is a function of y, and y is a function of both x and y''. That's why i don't think i can simply replace a with gm/y^2. The problem is, whenever i would evaluate y at a moment in x after replacing a with gm/y^2, it will be as if the acceleration at that moment in time has been the acceleration at all previous times. But then again, I am not sure.
I think what's happening here is the function itself actually changes into another function as the variables change. This is really confusing me.

The only way i figure i can solve this is by splitting space(splitting time would be simpler because i wouldn't have to solve a million quadratics, but i don't think incrementalizing time would be as accurate.) into increments. I would solve the first problem, then plug the variables and its derivatives at the end of that increment into the next problem, adjust for acceleration using gm/y^2, solve the next problem, and then keep repeating that over and over until i go insane from mindless calculations, knowing that i haven't actually solved the dynamics of the problem. Theres no freaking way I am going to attempt that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation

[tex]y^{\prime\prime}= \frac{gm}{y^2}[/tex]

is a special case of a second order non-linear ode, which can be solved quite straight forwardly to determine y' (speed). However, one cannot solve this ode to obtain a closed form solution for y (distance) as a function of time. One can however, obtain a closed form solution for x (time) in terms of y (distance).

Let

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = v\left(y\right)[/tex]

Then by the chain rule

[tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dx}v = \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dv}{dy}v[/tex]

Hence the ode becomes,

[tex]\frac{dv}{dy}v = \frac{gm}{y^2}[/tex]

Which is first order and separable. We can integrate to determine the velocity as a function of distance.

[tex]\Rightarrow v\left(y\right) = \frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{gm}{y} + c[/tex]

This first order ode is again separable,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{1}{\left(gm/y\right)+c} = -1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{c} - \frac{gm}{c\left(gm + cy\right)}\right) = -1[/tex]

Integrating

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{y}{c} - \frac{gm}{c^2}\ln\left|gm+cy\right| = c^\prime-x[/tex]

Here you should be able to see that one cannot solve this equation to obtain y=y(x). However, we have determined time as a function of distance as promised.

I hope that this was helpful.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Hence the ode becomes,

[tex]\frac{dv}{dy}v = \frac{gm}{y^2}[/tex]

Which is first order and separable. We can integrate to determine the velocity as a function of distance.

[tex]\Rightarrow v\left(y\right) = \frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{gm}{y} + c[/tex]

didn't you mean, [tex] \frac{v^2}{2} [/tex] on the left side?

ibc said:
didn't you mean, [tex] \frac{v^2}{2} [/tex] on the left side?
Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out, I'll correct my post above now.

Correcting my post #2 above (I thought it looked a little too nice),

[tex]\Rightarrow v\left(y\right) = \frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt{2c -\frac{2gm}{y}} [/tex]

This first order ode is again separable,

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{ \sqrt{2c -\frac{2gm}{y}}} = \int dx [/tex]

Which integrates (horrendously) to,

[tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{cy}\left(cy-gm\right) + gm\ln\left|2\left(\sqrt{cy} + \sqrt{cy-gm}\right)\right|\sqrt{-(gm) + cy}}{c^{3/2}\sqrt{2}\sqrt{cy - gm}}[/tex]

Which definitely doesn't have a closed form solution for y=y(x).

My apologies again for the mistake.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Which integrates (horrendously) to,

[tex]x = \frac{\sqrt{cy}\left(cy-gm\right) + gm\ln\left|2\left(\sqrt{cy} + \sqrt{cy-gm}\right)\right|\sqrt{-(gm) + cy}}{c^{3/2}\sqrt{2}\sqrt{cy - gm}}[/tex]

Which definitely doesn't have a closed form solution for y=y(x).

QUOTE]

That integral :bugeye: is compelling reason to treat g as a constant, at least over short distances, even though we know it is variable! Over long distances, we can get good approximations by taking an average value of g, but it would be much better if we had a neat compact expression to calculate g even as distance varies. It seems to me that a simpler expression can be written, as there are many instances where one variable mutually affects another. A case in point is air resistance affecting the velocity of a falling body, and of course the velocity affects air resistance. Yet we have no trouble writing a simple DE which takes this all into account. Why can’t we do the same for gravitational potential energy and distance, or can we?

1. What is gravity with changing acceleration?

Gravity with changing acceleration refers to the force of attraction between two objects that occurs when one object has a varying acceleration. This can be seen in situations where an object is either accelerating or decelerating, such as a rollercoaster or a falling object.

2. How does gravity with changing acceleration affect objects?

Gravity with changing acceleration affects objects by causing them to either speed up or slow down, depending on the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. This is due to the force of gravity being directly proportional to an object's mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

3. Why does gravity with changing acceleration occur?

Gravity with changing acceleration occurs because of the presence of mass in objects. Any object with mass will exert a gravitational force on another object with mass, and this force will change depending on the acceleration of the objects.

4. Is gravity with changing acceleration the same as constant gravity?

No, gravity with changing acceleration is not the same as constant gravity. Constant gravity refers to the force of gravity that remains the same over time and distance, such as the force of gravity on Earth. Gravity with changing acceleration, on the other hand, involves a varying force of gravity due to changing acceleration.

5. How does the theory of relativity explain gravity with changing acceleration?

The theory of relativity, specifically the general theory of relativity, explains gravity with changing acceleration by describing gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This theory explains how objects with mass can cause a change in acceleration and thus affect the force of gravity between them.