Talk by Weinberg about LHC and future of particle physics (video)

He talks about the standard model and the Higgs, and then delves into other potential discoveries. The talk took place this morning at a science writer's conference and is approximately 40 minutes long. The first 7 minutes are taken up by an introduction from another speaker. Weinberg's talk covers minutes 7 to 48, with the remaining time dedicated to a Q&A session. In summary, Weinberg gave an excellent, accessible talk at a science writer's conference, covering various aspects of particle physics and potential discoveries. Starting at minute 7:00 can save time for those interested in the standard model and the Higgs.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Excellent talk at clear basic level. To save time, one can start at minute 7:00.
That's where he discusses the standard model and then the Higgs, and then moves on to what else might be found.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2384517

I gather the talk was given this morning, 19 October, at a science writer's conference.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This 40 minute talk by Weinberg contains valuable insight and perspective about current directions in particle theory. Plus it is highly accessible.
He is speaking to the national convention of science writers.
The introduction, by another speaker, takes up the first 7 minutes.
Weinberg's talk goes from minute 7 to minute 48. Then the rest of the hour is questions and answers.

He gives a clear overview of particle physics, stressing the parts he thinks are relatively important.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the correct video, as it is from 2009, but I will base my response on the information provided.

First of all, I agree that this was an excellent talk that was presented at a clear basic level. Professor Weinberg did a great job of breaking down complex concepts and explaining them in a way that was easy to understand for non-scientists.

Starting at minute 7:00, he discusses the standard model of particle physics and explains how it has been successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of particles. He then moves on to the discovery of the Higgs boson, which was a major milestone in particle physics. It was fascinating to hear about the years of research and collaboration that went into this discovery.

One of the most interesting parts of the talk was when Professor Weinberg discussed the possible future directions of particle physics. He mentioned the possibility of finding new particles, such as supersymmetric particles, at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). It was also intriguing to hear about the potential for discovering new dimensions and understanding dark matter through future experiments.

I appreciate that Professor Weinberg emphasized the importance of continued research and exploration in particle physics. It is clear that there is still much to be discovered and understood about the fundamental building blocks of our universe. I also found it inspiring that he encouraged young scientists to pursue careers in this field and contribute to the ongoing quest for knowledge.

Overall, I found this talk to be informative and thought-provoking. It provided a great overview of the current state of particle physics and the potential for future discoveries. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in this fascinating field of science.

1. What is the LHC and why is it important for particle physics?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. It is used to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and collide them, allowing scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of our universe. The LHC is important for particle physics because it allows us to test and expand our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

2. What did Weinberg talk about in his talk about the LHC and the future of particle physics?

In his talk, Weinberg discussed the importance of the LHC in discovering the Higgs boson, the particle responsible for giving other particles their mass. He also spoke about the potential for discovering new particles and theories beyond the Standard Model of particle physics, as well as the importance of international collaboration and funding for future research in this field.

3. How does the LHC work and how does it produce collisions?

The LHC works by using powerful magnets to accelerate particles, typically protons, to nearly the speed of light. These particles are then steered into two separate beams, which are guided in opposite directions around the LHC's 27-kilometer ring. When the particles reach their maximum energy, they are made to collide at four different points along the ring, where detectors record the results of the collisions.

4. What are some of the potential discoveries or breakthroughs that could come from the LHC?

Some of the potential discoveries or breakthroughs that could come from the LHC include the discovery of new particles, such as supersymmetric particles or dark matter particles, which could help us better understand the composition of the universe. It could also lead to the discovery of new physical laws and a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity.

5. How does the future of particle physics depend on the success of the LHC?

The LHC has already made significant contributions to the field of particle physics, and its future success is crucial for further advancements in this field. The data collected from the LHC will help scientists test and refine existing theories, as well as potentially lead to the discovery of new particles and phenomena that could revolutionize our understanding of the universe. Without the LHC, progress in particle physics would be significantly hindered.