Solving Brainteasers with Dice and Graphs

• Thread starter ƒ(x) → ∞
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation discusses some interesting brainteasers involving dice and finding the area of a graph. The questions are designed for those with little mathematical experience to solve. There is a subforum dedicated to brainteasers on the website mentioned.
ƒ(x) → ∞
Some interesting brainteasers

Starter

Four dice colored red, yellow, orange, purple are rolled. In how many ways can the product of the numbers (assuming a blue four is different from a red four) so that the numbers equal 36?

I used factorials for this one, but it will be interesting to see how you attempt your answer.

Head Scratcher

Can you find the area of the region enclosed by the graph who equation is |y-x|+|y| = 2. (x takes the value of x if x[tex]\geq[/tex]0 and takes the value of -x if x<0)

These questions are designed so that anybody above the age of about 13 can answer them without much mathematical experience.

If this is a success then I will reveal the answer this time next week and come up with a new one [MONDAY 28TH DECEMBER 2009]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have a subforum devoted to brainteasers:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Thanks, I didn't see, but now I know.

1. What are some examples of interesting brainteasers?

Some examples of interesting brainteasers include the Monty Hall problem, the Tower of Hanoi, the Prisoner's Dilemma, and the Seven Bridges of Königsberg.

2. How do brainteasers help with critical thinking?

Brainteasers help with critical thinking by challenging individuals to think creatively and outside the box in order to find a solution. They also require logical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

3. Can brainteasers improve cognitive function?

Yes, solving brainteasers can improve cognitive function by stimulating the brain and promoting the growth of new neural connections.

4. Are there any benefits to regularly solving brainteasers?

Regularly solving brainteasers can improve memory, concentration, and decision-making skills. It can also be a fun and engaging way to exercise the brain.

5. How can brainteasers be used in a scientific setting?

Brainteasers can be used in a scientific setting to test problem-solving abilities, analyze critical thinking skills, and assess cognitive function. They can also be used as a tool for team building and promoting collaboration in research projects.