Rational Coefficients & Non-Rational Roots: A Puzzling Cubic Polynomial

In summary, it seems that the rational root theorem only applies to certain types of cubic polynomials.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Not so much a homework problem, but a problem that is annoying me because of its simplicity.

Not all cubic polynomials with rational coefficients can be factorized by the rational root theorem (or is this false?). What I am finding hard to comprehend is how a cubic with only irrational or imaginary roots can have all rational coefficients.
What I'm looking for is an example or two illustrating a completely factorized cubic with non-rational roots that, if expanded, has all rational coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

In an attempt to figure out how it can be done myself I have realized that it is impossible to have one quadratic factor (rational coefficients) that does not have rational roots and the last factor still satisfying this.

e.g. [tex](x^2+a)(x+b)[/tex] given a>0, the quadratic factor will have imaginary coefficients and of course b will need to be irrational or imaginary, but then if we expand this, the constant will be [itex]ab[/itex] which - if a is rational - will not satisfy the criteria, or if a is such a number that ab becomes rational then we will end up breaking the criteria again since the coefficients of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x^2[/itex] will be b and a respectively (which we've already shown have to both be non-rational).

I've tried a few others, but I'm sure you get the point :smile:

And of course this problem of mine applies to all polynomials of odd degrees.

EDIT: Oh and please exclude the obvious (for me anyway) cases of [itex]x^3+a=0[/itex] where a is rational and [itex]a^{1/3}[/itex] is not rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you are excluding x^3+a=0, but ok, this particular example came up in a problem earlier. 8x^3-6x-1=0 has three real roots. None of them are rational. By the rational roots test. The roots are cos(pi/9), and (1/2)*(-cos(pi/9)+/-sqrt(3)*sin(pi/9)). Kind of complicated, but what did you expect? I still like x^3-2=0 much better.

Last edited:
I excluded that obvious type because I know there were more cases where the coefficients of x and x2 weren't zero, and that one is really simple of course.
Thanks, I see where they are coming from now.

What is a rational coefficient?

A rational coefficient is a number that can be written as a ratio of two integers, such as 1/2 or -3/4. In the context of a polynomial, it is the number that is multiplied by the variable's exponent.

What is a non-rational root?

A non-rational root is a number that cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. In the context of a polynomial, it is a value that makes the polynomial equal to zero when substituted for the variable.

How do you determine if a polynomial has rational coefficients?

A polynomial has rational coefficients if all of its numerical coefficients are rational numbers. This can be determined by looking at the coefficients themselves or by factoring the polynomial and checking if all of the factors have rational coefficients.

How do you find the non-rational roots of a polynomial?

The non-rational roots of a polynomial can be found by using the Rational Root Theorem to determine a list of possible rational roots and then using synthetic division or a graphing calculator to test each possible root until the correct one is found.

Why is it important to understand rational coefficients and non-rational roots?

Understanding rational coefficients and non-rational roots is important because it allows us to solve polynomial equations and understand the behavior of graphs of polynomial functions. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.