The static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates

In summary: You can solve these equations to find the values of \partial T/\partial t and \partial X/\partial t, and then plug them back into the expression for the Killing vector to find its components in Kruskal coordinates.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the static Killing vector in Kruskal coordinates, using equations (1) and (2) and the chain rule for ordinary partial derivatives. The components of the Killing vector in Kruskal coordinates can be found by solving two linear equations derived from (1) and (2).
Altabeh
Hello

In the Kruskal extension of the Schwarzschild metric, where the metric is now transformed into the new coordinates [tex](T,X,\theta,\phi)[/tex], the line element is

[tex]ds^2=-\frac{32M^3e^{-r/2m} }{r}(-dT^2+dX^2)+r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2),[/tex]

with

[tex]\left (r/2m-1 \right ) e^{r/2m}=X^2-T^2 [/tex] (1)
and [tex]t/2m=2\tanh^{-1}(T/X).[/tex] (2)

From the equation (1) we see that [tex]\nabla_{\alpha}r=0[/tex] at [tex]X=T=0[/tex] and this is obvious. Okay, but we know that the static Killing field [tex]\xi^{\alpha}[/tex] becomes collinear with [tex]\nabla_{\alpha}r=0[/tex] thus requiring [tex]\xi^{\alpha}[/tex] to also vanish there. My question is that how is this possible? Looking at the static Killing vectors of the Schwarzschild metric in a general Cartesian-like coordinate system [tex]x^{\mu}[/tex],
[tex]\xi^0=0[/tex] and [tex]{\xi}^{i}={\epsilon}^{{ik}}{x}^{k}[/tex]
where
[tex]\epsilon^{ik}=-\epsilon^{ki} =\left[ \begin {array}{ccc} 0&a&-b\\ \noalign{\medskip}-a&0&c
\\ \noalign{\medskip}b&-c&0\end {array} \right], [/tex]

with [tex]a,b,c[/tex] being all arbitrary constants, how come the above requirement [tex](X=T=0)[/tex] gets all Killing vectors to vanish? My own view on the problem is that we must find the explicit expressions for [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]t[/tex] from (1) and (2), respectively, and then calculate the Killing vectors and put [tex]X=T=0.[/tex] Am I on the right track or what?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I haven't tried to read your post in detail.

I would use (1) and (2), and the chain rule for ordinary partial derivatives to calculate the static Killing vector field in Kruskal coordinates.

George Jones said:
Sorry, I haven't tried to read your post in detail.

I would use (1) and (2), and the chain rule for ordinary partial derivatives to calculate the static Killing vector field in Kruskal coordinates.

Would you mind going a little bit deep into details of the calculation!?

Thanks
AB

In Schwarzschild coordinates, the static Killing vector is [itex]\partial/\partial t[/itex], and

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} \frac{\partial}{\partial T} + \frac{\partial X}{\partial t} \frac{\partial}{\partial X},
[/tex]

so the components of Killing vector [itex]\partial/\partial t[/itex] with respect to the [itex]\left\{ T, X, \theta, \phi \right\}[/itex] coordinates are

[tex]
\left\{ \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}, \frac{\partial X}{\partial t}, 0, 0 \right\}.
[/tex]

Differentiating (1) and (2) with respect to [itex]t[/itex] gives two linear equations in the two non-zero components.

1. What are Kruskal coordinates?

Kruskal coordinates are a set of coordinates often used in the study of black holes. They are a way of describing the space-time around a black hole in a way that is convenient for calculations and understanding the physics of the system.

2. What are the static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates?

The static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates are a set of mathematical objects that describe the symmetries of the space-time around a black hole. They represent the directions in which there are no changes in the physical properties of the system, such as time or space translations or rotations.

3. What is the significance of the static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates?

The static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates are important in understanding the properties of black holes. They allow us to study the behavior of objects and particles near a black hole and make predictions about how they will behave under different conditions. They also help us understand the symmetries of black holes and their effects on the surrounding space-time.

4. How do the static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates relate to the event horizon of a black hole?

The static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates are closely related to the event horizon of a black hole. They can be used to define the event horizon and understand its properties. In particular, the event horizon is defined as the boundary beyond which the static Killing vectors become null or infinite, indicating the point of no return for objects falling into the black hole.

5. Are there any limitations to using static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates to study black holes?

While the static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates are a powerful tool for studying black holes, there are some limitations. They only apply to stationary and spherically symmetric black holes, so they cannot be used for more complex systems. Additionally, they do not take into account quantum effects, which may be important in certain situations.