Understanding Exchange of Particles as a Force

In summary: So, the mass shell story would be that the mass of the particles is due to the fact that they are concentrated in certain regions.
NanakiXIII
I'm trying to understand how exchange of particles can constitute a force. I read a chapter on this in Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, which covers it very briefly, presumably only to make it plausible to the reader, but there is something I'm not content with.

To illustrate, he places two time-independent delta functions ([itex]J(x) = \delta(\vec{x} - \vec{x}_a) + \delta(\vec{x} - \vec{x}_b)[/itex]) on a scalar field to represent two massive particles that couple to the field. Then he claims that these particles generate disturbances in the field, propagating from one particle to the other to constitute a force. But how can a time-independent disturbance create a propagating (i.e. time-dependent) particle? In his jumping-on-a-mattress analogy, this doesn't make sense.

He illustrates that placement of two delta functions causes a decrease in energy and that the energy is lowered even further if you put them closer together, but that doesn't clarify to me how any exchanged particles are generated or involved in the mechanism.

Another thing I don't understand is why any disturbance caused by one massive particle would propagate only towards the other particle. Shouldn't it propagate in all directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea does restore the analogy, but I still don't quite understand. You speak of these virtual particles as simply being the Fourier components of the deformation in the mattress caused by the particles that are coupled to it. But it seems that would mean that the distribution in [itex]k[/itex] is dictated by the coupled particles, while Zee speaks of a resonance at [itex]k = m[/itex], i.e. there is a prescription for at least one property of the distribution which comes from the field itself.

Also, if these virtual particles are in fact the Fourier components of this deformation, then they apparently "propagate" only in the spatial dimensions. Also, you're describing flat, monochromatic waves, which isn't exactly what came to mind when I read of an exchange of particles (i.e. localized things).

Well, I think this speak of "exchange of virtual particles" is often somewhat misleading.
Mathematically, the interaction is described by a propagator of the field. The propagator describes the reaction at some space time point to a perturbation at another point (creation and destruction of a "particle" due to coupling to a source). As it is a forced reaction, there is usually no restriction on the allowed frequency and wave vectors. That's what is meant with "virtual". Especially it describes also the static interaction where omega=0 and the superposition of k values gives rise to a Coulombic potential.

I was mainly interested in working out when and how this leads to attraction an when it leads to repulsion in the link I gave you. That's why I restricted to considering static (time independent) sources. However, it should be clear that the vibration of a matress will lead to a retarded interaction due to their finite speed of propagation as, e.g. the lattice vibrations do in a superconductor.

I think I understand then, I'm only a little disappointed. I was expecting something more ground-breaking.

One thing still remains unclear, though, which is the "mass shell" story. Since these particles aren't really localized particles, I guess I shouldn't actually think of it as mass. But I still don't see how the resonance at [itex]k = m[/itex] would arise from just considering the two sources.

I don't have Zee here at the moment.
But it should be clear that a propagator or Greensfunction is a solution of an inhomogeneous differential equation. "On the mass shell", the differential equation also has a solution in the homogeneous case, that is in the limit of vanishing sources, namely the free field.

1. What is meant by "exchange of particles" in relation to forces?

The exchange of particles refers to the process by which particles, such as photons or gluons, are exchanged between two objects or particles, resulting in a force between them. This exchange is governed by fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism or the strong nuclear force.

2. How does the exchange of particles result in a force?

The exchange of particles results in a force because when two particles interact, they exchange virtual particles that carry energy and momentum. This exchange creates a force between the particles, causing them to either attract or repel each other.

3. Can you give an example of how the exchange of particles works in a specific force?

One example of the exchange of particles is in the electromagnetic force between two charged particles. In this case, the particles exchange virtual photons, which carry the electromagnetic force between them.

4. How does the exchange of particles differ between different forces?

The exchange of particles differs between different forces based on the type of particles being exchanged and the strength of the force. For example, the exchange of photons in the electromagnetic force is different from the exchange of gluons in the strong nuclear force.

5. What is the significance of understanding the exchange of particles as a force?

Understanding the exchange of particles as a force allows us to better understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the behavior of matter and energy. It also helps us to develop theories and models that explain the workings of the universe at a fundamental level.