Armpit Odor: What Is Its Purpose?

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: It also traps pheromones, which are chemical signals that can attract potential mates. However, the smell of bacterial-broken down apocrine secretion is not the attractant, but rather the pheromones trapped in the hair. In summary, the conversation discusses armpit odor and its various smells and sources. It is mentioned that the main cause of armpit odor is the bacteria that break down apocrine sweat, and that this odor is not necessarily pleasant but can vary depending on certain factors. The conversation also touches on the purpose of axillary hair, which is to reduce friction and trap pheromones that can attract potential mates. However, the smell of bacterial-broken down apocrine secretion is not the attractant
recon
I've got nothing to say, except to say that I'm curious and would like to know if armpit odor comes in a variety of smells. What purpose does this variance serve, if any?

I did a search on the internet, and could not find anything relevant except for A LOT of articles on botox, which in addition to being able to get rid of wrinkles, is now also used in the battle against armpit odor. : :redface: :redface: :eek:

I've not seen a thread on armpit odor before. I beseech all of you to post any interesting information on armpits here. Or ask a few questions.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
did u know that the armpit contains the most bacteria than any part of your external body?:p

Armpit odour, or axillary malodor, usually begins when you reach puberty, when your glands start working. There are two kinds of sweat glands in the human body, the apocrine glands, which secrete a milky fluid from the hair follicles, and the eccrine glands, which are the source of most perspiration. The sweat from the eccrine glands is water, which is used to cool the body by evaporation and to moisten the friction surfaces of the body.

Most axillary, or armpit, sweat is odourless, and comes from the eccrine glands. The small amount of apocrine secretion in the sweat, however, causes the problem.

Although fresh apocrine sweat is also odourless, it develops its characteristic smell when the sweat is broken down by the hair and skin cells in the armpit, and then eaten by bacteria.

It's actually the bacteria that make the smell, releasing a chemical called 3-methyl-2-hexenoic acid.

About 90% of men and 70% of women have these bacteria in their armpit, and women produce a milder odour than men. Most people have trouble smelling their own odour without burying their nose in their own armpit ... probably because your brain filters out smells which are always present.

taken from here

Is it really true that armpit odour might contribute to making you more attractive to potential mates? If not, what is it purpose?

recon said:
Is it really true that armpit odour might contribute to making you more attractive to potential mates? If not, what is it purpose?

I no longer recall where it was published, but there was a study some time ago that tried to test this. IIRC, they had men wear t-shirts for a day, then asked women to smell the t-shirts :yuck: and rank them on a scale that ranged from some degree of pleasantness to some degree of unpleasantness (sorry, it's been a long time since I've read it). When the women were ovulating, they ranked the shirts less unpleasant than at other stages of their cycle. But, it's worth noting they never ranked the odors as pleasant, just less unpleasant. The authors were trying to find evidence of pheromonal signals in humans. I don't really think armpit odors have a purpose, they're just a by-product of the bacteria hanging out in that area of the body.

So what is the purpose of axillary hair then? Doesn't this make the condition in the armpit even more suitable for bacteria growth?

Pheromones of some sort might be released from the armpits, but the smell of bacterial-broken down apocrine secretion certainly wouldn't be the attractant :yuck:

The purpose of the axillary hair is to reduce friction and to aid in evaporation (the hairs are hollow).

1. What causes armpit odor?

Armpit odor is primarily caused by the presence of bacteria on the skin. These bacteria feed on the sweat produced by the apocrine glands in the armpits, breaking it down into compounds that emit a strong odor.

2. Why do humans have armpit odor?

Armpit odor is a natural and normal bodily function. It is a result of the sweat glands in the armpits producing sweat, which helps regulate body temperature and remove toxins from the body.

3. What is the purpose of armpit odor?

The purpose of armpit odor is to serve as a communication tool between humans. It can convey information about an individual's health, hygiene, and even emotional state. It may also play a role in sexual attraction and mate selection.

4. How can I reduce armpit odor?

There are several ways to reduce armpit odor, including practicing good hygiene by regularly washing the armpits with soap and water, using antiperspirants or deodorants, and wearing breathable clothing made from natural fabrics. In some cases, medical treatments may be necessary to address excessive sweating or bacterial overgrowth.

5. Is armpit odor normal?

Yes, armpit odor is a normal bodily function and is present in all humans. However, excessive or foul-smelling armpit odor may be a sign of an underlying medical condition and should be addressed by a healthcare professional.