Non-Traditional Student whom needs some advice please

• Thread starter cla7907
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the individual is returning to school in the fall of 2011 to pursue a second bachelor's degree with a triple major in physics, math, and astronomy. They will enroll in a PhD program for high energy particle physics. They are starting from the beginning with math courses due to a long break from college and have attached a proposed course outline. They are seeking opinions on their plan, taking into consideration their need to work full-time until earning a scholarship and their previous GPA. They have also received suggestions for additional courses depending on their desired area of focus and have been advised to leave room for unexpected challenges.
cla7907
Hello,

I'm returning to school in the fall of 2011 to pursue a second bachelor's degree - I intended to triple major in: [Physics, Math and Astronomy] and then enroll in a PhD program to study high energy particle physics.

It has been a while since I attended college and, as a consequence, I'm divorced from the college math courses previously completed. For this reason, I am starting from the very beginning and I'm taking two courses I already passed some time ago because I want to be well-versed in mathematics.

I attached a small spreadsheet outlining my proposed course of study. If someone will look over it and give me there opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Before offering me an opinion, I would like you to consider:

1) I will have to work full-time, until I am able to earn a scholarship. I'm thinking by the second year I'll be able to obtain this type of funding based on GPA.

2) The outlined math sequence.

Please note: I earned a 3.84 GPA during my first B.S. in Marketing/Psychology and I have full confidence I will perform at a higher level as I'm returning to school more mature and focused.

Thank you very much for your time and response.

-cla7907

Attachments

• COURSEOUTLINE1.xls
    26 KB · Views: 232
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there and welcome to the forums.

I can't comment on chemistry and physics courses but I have a comments about the math courses.

Since you want to do something with applications in either two or all majors (math,astronomy,physics), I would suggest you do a course in numeric analysis.

Also its going to depend on what 'niche area' you want to get into. Some areas like say astrophysics might require you to have a course in differential geometry, while in another area you might want to have courses in functional analysis.

Personally I would substitute the abstract algebra course for something for applicable like numeric analysis, PDEs, or a course on statistics (not the probability part).

Also if you plan to do stuff in astrophysics, I would take a programming course in C/C++ or Java. If your math course is decent, they will give you exposure to MATLAB or something equivalent.

I have to say that's probably the most ambitious schedule I've ever seen.

Its great that you are so ambitious, but just remember to leave room for the unexpected. This is a very very full on course load. Doing chemistry, math and physics courses at the same time requires a particular kind of mind and a lot of hard work. I would see how you go in the first year before planning the rest of your work.

1. What is a non-traditional student?

A non-traditional student is typically defined as someone who is returning to college or starting their education later in life, often after taking a break or pursuing other life experiences. This can include individuals who are older, have families, or have full-time jobs.

2. How can non-traditional students balance their responsibilities?

Non-traditional students often have many responsibilities, such as work, family, and other commitments. To balance these responsibilities, it is important for students to prioritize their time, create a schedule, and communicate with their loved ones about their academic commitments.

3. What challenges do non-traditional students face?

Non-traditional students may face challenges such as time management, financial constraints, and feeling out of place in a traditional college setting. They may also struggle with adapting to new technology and academic expectations.

4. How can non-traditional students succeed in their academic pursuits?

To succeed academically, non-traditional students can seek support from their professors, utilize campus resources such as tutoring and study groups, and form connections with other non-traditional students. It is also important for them to maintain a positive mindset and stay motivated.

5. Are there any specific tips for non-traditional students to excel in their studies?

Some tips for non-traditional students to excel in their studies include setting realistic goals, developing effective study habits, and seeking academic support when needed. It can also be beneficial for them to participate in class and engage with their peers and professors.