Solving Isosceles Triangle Problem with Calculus

• Thread starter calvinnn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation was about a math problem involving using calculus to prove which vertex angle in an isosceles triangle has the greatest area. The suggestion was to find equations for area and perimeter, solve for a variable, and differentiate using the principle of extremum to find the angle for which the area is maximum. The figure provided was also mentioned.
calvinnn
There was a question on my math test today and i didnt even understand the problem. I want to see if anyone else knows how to do it. So here it goes:
"Use Calculus to prove which vertex angle an isoseles triange the greatest area"

I think your supposed to find a equation for Area and Perimeter. Then take one of the equations and solve for a variable. Plug it into the next equation and then differentiate, like i would do on optimization problems, but i didnt know how to do it with this problem. Below is the figure given.

Attachments

• Figure Here.JPG
    Figure Here.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
calvinnn said:
There was a question on my math test today and i didnt even understand the problem. I want to see if anyone else knows how to do it. So here it goes:
"Use Calculus to prove which vertex angle an isoseles triange the greatest area"

I think your supposed to find a equation for Area and Perimeter. Then take one of the equations and solve for a variable. Plug it into the next equation and then differentiate, like i would do on optimization problems, but i didnt know how to do it with this problem. Below is the figure given.

I'm not sure,there might be more to your problem than what i understood:
[tex] S_{triangle} =\frac{k^{2}\sin\theta}{2} [/tex],where k and k are the 2 sides of the isosceles triangle assuled constant and the angle [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between the 2 congruent segments.
This of S as a function of only one variable,the angle [itex] \theta [/itex] and use the principle of extremum to find the angle for which the area is maximum.Then find that maximum inserting the value for maxmum in the initial function.

As i said,maybe the problem is more complicated,but for now,try to solve it this way.

Daniel.

k thankssss :smile:

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a triangle with two sides of equal length and two equal angles opposite those sides.

2. How do you solve an isosceles triangle problem using calculus?

To solve an isosceles triangle problem using calculus, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the third side and then use the derivative of the area formula (A = (1/2)bh) to find the maximum area of the triangle.

3. Can you find the angles of an isosceles triangle using calculus?

Yes, you can use calculus to find the angles of an isosceles triangle. By finding the derivative of the perimeter formula (P = 2s + b), where s is the length of the equal sides and b is the length of the base, you can find the critical point where the angles are equal.

4. Are there any other methods to solve isosceles triangle problems?

Yes, there are other methods to solve isosceles triangle problems such as using trigonometric ratios, the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines, or simply using basic geometry principles.

5. Can calculus be used to solve any type of triangle problem?

No, calculus is not always necessary to solve triangle problems. It is typically used when the problem involves finding a maximum or minimum value, such as the maximum area of an isosceles triangle.