Quick help with average value function problem please

In summary, you are looking for the average value of f(x) = (3x+5)^2 on [1, 2]. You use a variable substitution and find the average value is t=3x+5.
c19dale
I am in a time crunch and I am stumped...

I need to find the average value function of f(x) = (3x+5)^2 on [1, 2]

help please..

Physics news on Phys.org
What would you suppose to be the method of finding it out?

ok..i typed the problem wrong...its (3x+5)^5

I know the formula is 1/b-a int from 1 to 2 f(X)dx

but We haven't gone over this along with 4 other different problems I have left...I don't know how to handle the 5th power?

You'd know how to handle the integral [tex]\int_{1}^{2}t^{5}dt[/tex]

Right?

i think I could figure it out...we haven't gone over this material because we ran out of time...but I have figured out problems similar to that...

is this a substitution problem?

Allright:
If I asked you to find:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{6}t^{6}[/tex]
I hope you agree with me that we have:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{6}t^{6}=t^{5}[/tex]

Hence, to solve the problem:
1) Make a variable substitution (you've done this type of stuff, right?): t=3x+5
2) since t=8 when x=1 and t=11 when x=2, we get the integral:
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_{8}^{11}t^{5}dt[/tex]
which is the average value you're seeking.

no...I haven't done this stuff, but with what you just posted, I might be able to figure it out...thanks, I'll try it again...

so I don't use the formula I posted above?..I am just looking in the book, its a different type of problem(polynomial), but it gets a constant as the answer and it uses a formula to get it...

Last edited:
c19dale said:
ok..i typed the problem wrong...its (3x+5)^5

I know the formula is 1/b-a int from 1 to 2 f(X)dx
This is certainly the formula I've used:
Since 2-1=1, we have:
[tex]\hat{f}=\frac{1}{1}\int_{1}^{2}(3x+5)^{5}dx=\int_{1}^{2}(3x+5)^{5}dx=\int_{8}^{11}\frac{1}{3}t^{5}dt[/tex]

thats what I got after you explained it before, but does it simplify from there or is that the answer? ..never mind...i see...sub back in the value of t and solve...thanks, I got it...

1. What is the average value function and why is it important?

The average value function, also known as the mean value function, is a mathematical concept used to find the average of a set of values. It is important because it allows us to summarize data and make comparisons between different sets of values.

2. How do I calculate the average value function?

To calculate the average value function, you need to add up all the values in a set and then divide by the number of values in the set. The formula for the average value function is: average value = (sum of all values) / (number of values).

3. Can you give an example of a problem involving the average value function?

Sure, let's say you have a set of test scores for a class: 70, 80, 90, 95, 85. To find the average score, you would add up all the scores (70+80+90+95+85) and divide by the number of scores (5). The average score in this case would be 84.

4. What are some real-world applications of the average value function?

The average value function is used in many areas, such as statistics, economics, and finance. It can be used to calculate average income, average temperature, or average stock prices, among other things.

5. How can I use the average value function to make predictions?

If you have a set of data and want to make predictions about future values, you can use the average value function to calculate the average and then use that as a benchmark for your predictions. For example, if the average temperature for a certain day is 75°F, you can predict that the temperature for the next day will be close to 75°F.