Projecting Light Off Of Thin Air

• Thread starter SkepticJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Light
In summary, the Heliodisplay uses lasers to create an image that appears to be made of vertical strips. The device is said to be harmless and does not require any refilling. Air comes into the device, is modified then ejected and illuminated to produce the image. The Heliodisplay is not a holographic device.
SkepticJ
What guesses do you have as to how http://www.io2technology.com/dojo/178/v.jsp works?
I wonder how hard it would be to use adaptive optics to stop the wavy motion of the image? Why does the image look like it is made of vertical strips? Looks like a photo went through a paper shredder. Upgrading it to show HD video and things with 3-D volume would tempt me to buy one if the price was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, the technical 'scrip is necessarily vague, but they do hint at some of it:

"Air comes into the device, is modified then ejected and illuminated to produce the image. Nothing is added to the air so there isn`t any harmful gas or liquid emitted from the device, and nothing needs to be refilled. Operating the device will not change a room`s environment, air quality or other conditions. If a Heliodisplay were left running for a week in a hermetically sealed room, the only change to the room`s environment would be from the electricity used to run the device."

and then:

"Although the Heliodisplay uses lasers, the images are not holographic."

So, I'm guessing perhaps the air is modified to form a visible vapour, much like is being used in the glut of mist fountains that have come out recently. They look much like dry ice fountains, but they're not dry ice (it's a liquid chemical in a squeeze bottle).

DaveC426913 said:
So, I'm guessing perhaps the air is modified to form a visible vapour, much like is being used in the glut of mist fountains that have come out recently. They look much like dry ice fountains, but they're not dry ice (it's a liquid chemical in a squeeze bottle).

Are you sure you aren't thinking of ultrasonic water foggers ? I have a five disk one, pretty neat. I'm not totally sure how they work but I think they use cavitation.

Yup, that's what I was talking about.

I want to carry out this experiment, and can you gentemen help to join in idea if I can make it to a big area scale, in this event, do you think we can utilize the concept of a dehumifier, with the vapour collected from the air (or better if it is open air) to create the foggy effect to form a fog screen to project images onto it. Need your enlightment urgent.

I want to carry out this experiment, and can you gentemen help to join in idea if I can make it to a big area scale, in this event, do you think we can utilize the concept of a dehumifier, with the vapour collected from the air (or better if it is open air) to create the foggy effect to form a fog screen to project images onto it. Need your enlightment urgent.

1. How is it possible to project light off of thin air?

The phenomenon of projecting light off of thin air is made possible through a process called laser projection or holographic projection. This involves using lasers or special projectors to create a three-dimensional image by reflecting light off of particles in the air, such as dust or water droplets.

2. What are the practical applications of projecting light off of thin air?

There are many potential applications for projecting light off of thin air, such as creating 3D displays for entertainment or advertising, projecting information onto surfaces for presentations or meetings, and even creating virtual touchscreens for interactive experiences. It could also have applications in medical imaging and military technology.

3. Is projecting light off of thin air safe for human eyes?

When done correctly and using appropriate safety measures, projecting light off of thin air is generally considered safe for human eyes. However, prolonged exposure to bright lights can cause eye strain and fatigue, so it is important to use caution and take breaks when necessary.

4. What are the limitations of projecting light off of thin air?

One limitation of projecting light off of thin air is that it requires specific atmospheric conditions to work effectively. For example, if there is too much moisture in the air, the projected image may appear blurry or distorted. Additionally, the size and brightness of the projected image are limited by the power and quality of the projectors being used.

5. How does projecting light off of thin air differ from traditional projection methods?

Traditional projection methods involve projecting light onto a solid surface, such as a screen or wall. In contrast, projecting light off of thin air utilizes the particles in the air as the surface for the projected image. This allows for more flexibility in where the image can be projected and can create a more immersive experience for the viewer.