Influencing Sex: Shettles Method & More - Truth or Bogus?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the Shettles Method is a technique that claims to influence the sex of a baby by timing intercourse during the monthly cycle. It is based on the fact that male and female sperm have different characteristics. However, while there may be some anecdotal evidence for its effectiveness, it has not been scientifically proven and may not be practical for most couples trying to conceive. Additionally, other factors such as pH and temperature may also play a role in determining the sex of a baby.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This came up in a discussion I was having with a cousin of mine (who's going to have a baby soon). She said that the time of conception influences the sex of the baby, and gave me the following link :

http://www.childbirth.org/articles/sex.html [Broken]

It sounded kinda dubious to me, so I bring it to you. Is there any truth to this ?

SUMMARY OF SHETTLES METHODS

Basically, men produce two types of sperms, the X (female) and Y (male). According to Dr. Shettles' studies the y-sperms are smaller, weaker, but faster than their siblings x-sperms, which are bigger, stronger, but slower.

Based on this fact, there are several things you can do to "favor" the conception of boys or girls:

(1) The most important aspect of all is timing of intercourse during the monthly cycle. The closer to ovulation you have sex, the better the chances to have a boy, because the y-sperms are faster and tend to get to the egg first. If you have sex 3 days or more before ovulation, the better your chances to conceive a girl, because the weaker y-sperms tend to die sooner and the x-sperms will be available in greater quantity whenever the egg is released. On the other hand, having sex from 2 days before ovulation, through a few days after ovulation, is better for conceiving a boy. Around the 2-day point -- 48 hours before ovulation -- seems to be the 50/50 mark.

Some other factors mentioned are pH, sperm count and temperature. I know that temperature influences the sex of amphibian offspring, but hadn't heard of any studies on humans.

So what's the verdict : bogus or not ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I have heard this tends to be true, although not a science. as for the pH of the woman's uterine, i think this has an effect on which sperm will survive better. i

While some of these techniques may work under anecdotal reporting, they most likely would not hold up under a more rigorous scientific approach. Check this article for a review.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9651654&dopt=Abstract

Much of the stated technique is probably based on the differences between sperm containing an X or Y chromosome. It has been attempted to sort, by centrifugation, sperm into two groups and they select the one, i.e., gender that you want. This physical difference probably lends itself to the "stronger, bigger female" and the "weaker, smaller male". A more technical and effective sorting can be done using flow cytometry and nuclear staining, but the safety of this is questionable and is currently only used for livestock, see Beltville method.

Temperature most likely deals less with the activities of sperm in the female and more with the male side of sperm production. A cooler than body temperature environment is best for sperm production, hence the placement of the testes outside the body (and we all wear boxers when trying to conceive right guys?)

I was unable to read anything more than the abstract of that paper, not being a member and all. But thanks for the link and explanation, nevertheless.

If you can point me to a full article, I'd appreciate that.

Sorry, I'll send you a private message with a copy of the article as a .pdf when I get back in the lab.

Pssst...Gokul...you do have access to that journal article. :wink: Look up the journal under the OhioLink Electronic Journal Center: http://journals.ohiolink.edu/cgi-bin/sciserv.pl?collection=journals [Broken]

As for the methods described, even if they worked, most people aren't that good at predicting the precise date of ovulation well enough to make it at all practical. Seems like a good way to take a long time getting pregnant to restrict intercourse to one day of the cycle, especially if you're trying to aim for 3 days before ovulation. That's really pushing the limit of how long sperm survive considering it still takes some time for the ovum to move far enough down the Fallopian tube to be fertilizable. You wouldn't want fertilization to occur too high up in the Fallopian tube and risk a tubal pregnancy. Most people trying to achieve pregnancy will think it more important to have intercourse every day around the week of ovulation to maximize their chances of getting pregnant at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kerrie, Doc and Moonbear, for your responses. Most grateful.

1. What is the Shettles Method and how does it influence sex?

The Shettles Method is a theory proposed by Dr. Landrum B. Shettles in the 1960s, claiming that certain factors can increase the chances of conceiving a baby of a specific sex. These factors include timing of intercourse, diet, and sexual positions.

2. Is the Shettles Method scientifically proven?

The Shettles Method has not been scientifically proven. While some studies have shown a slightly higher success rate for conceiving a specific sex using this method, many other studies have found no significant difference. Additionally, the method lacks solid scientific evidence to support its claims.

3. Can diet really influence the sex of a baby?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that diet can significantly influence the sex of a baby. While some studies have shown a slight correlation between a woman's diet and the chances of conceiving a specific sex, the results are inconclusive and not enough to support the Shettles Method.

4. Is there any harm in trying the Shettles Method?

No, there is no harm in trying the Shettles Method. However, it's important to note that the method has not been scientifically proven and may not have any significant effect on the sex of a baby. It's always best to consult with a healthcare professional for reliable advice on conceiving a baby of a specific sex.

5. Are there any other methods for influencing the sex of a baby?

There are some other theories and methods that claim to influence the sex of a baby, such as the Whelan Method and the Ericsson Method. However, none of these methods have been scientifically proven, and their effectiveness is still questionable. The best way to conceive a baby of a specific sex is still through genetic testing or medical procedures.