Conservation of engery and work

In summary, a bag of cement with a mass of 16 kg is thrown off of a bridge with an initial upward velocity of 3.0 m/s and falls 40.0 m to the river below. The velocity of the bag just before striking the water is 28.2 m/s. When imagining the water replaced with a trampoline with a spring constant of 2000 N/m, the distance the bag will sink before coming to a stop can be determined by using kinetic energy, potential energy, and elastic potential energy. However, it is important to set the initial downward velocity and the different conditions of the bag's motion in each step, including when it passes by and when it
Ereny
a partially filled bag of cement is tossed off of bridge with an initial upward velocity of 3.0 m/s. the bag has a mass of 16 kg and falls 40.0 m to the river below. determine the velocity of the bag just before striking the water.
i found that and it comes out to be 28.2 m/s ( correct me if i am wrong please)

b. imagine that water were replaced with a trampoline . the trampoline has a spring constant of 2000 N/m. determine the distance the bag will sink in the trampoline before coming to a stop.?

i know that i have to use kinetic energy and potential energy and elastic potential energy but i don't know what to set = to zero and what not..
can someone please help me !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ereny! :smile:
Ereny said:
i know that i have to use kinetic energy and potential energy and elastic potential energy but i don't know wt to set = to zero and what not..

you don't have to set anything to zero

for potential energy, all that matters is the difference between PE before and PE after

and the equation for PE is 1/2kx^2 right?

That is the equation for the PE of a spring, correct. Not necessarily PE in general.

i did that but i got a really big number for the distance i got the same distance as its given..

i did : 1/2(2000)x^2 - 1/2(2000)(40)^2=0 ? i don't think this is right

Ereny said:
a partially filled bag of cement is tossed off of bridge with an initial upward velocity of 3.0 m/s. the bag has a mass of 16 kg and falls 40.0 m to the river below. determine the velocity of the bag just before striking the water.
i found that and it comes out to be 28.2 m/s ( correct me if i am wrong please)
I think you left off the initial downward velocity that the bag has as it passes you on its way down...

Ereny said:
b. imagine that water were replaced with a trampoline . the trampoline has a spring constant of 2000 N/m. determine the distance the bag will sink in the trampoline before coming to a stop.?

i know that i have to use kinetic energy and potential energy and elastic potential energy but i don't know what to set = to zero and what not..
can someone please help me !

Ereny said:
i did that but i got a really big number for the distance i got the same distance as its given..

i did : 1/2(2000)x^2 - 1/2(2000)(40)^2=0 ? i don't think this is right

The 2nd term in your equation looks wrong. When the bag initially hits the trampoline, it has kinetic energy. When it is stopped by the springs of the trampoline, it has potential energy stored in the springs, and zero kinetic energy. There is also a small difference in gravitational PE between the position of the bag when it just hits the trampoline, and when it is stopped at a somewhat lower position...

okay so here's my work correct me if i am wrong please

change KE + change PE + change GPE = 0
F(1/2mv^2)-I(1.2mv^2) + F(1/2kx^2)- I(1/2kx^2) + F(mgh)-I(mgh) =0
(1/2*16kg * 28.2 - 0) + (0-1/2 * 2000N/m * X^2 ) + (0- 16kg * 9.81* 40m) = 0

i solved for X and i got a neg # idk why but the number is kinda right because that's what the teacher kind off had..
did i mess something in my work that's why i got a neg # idk...

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i see where i messed up i forgot to square the 28.2 .. but when i did i got X= .29 m
does that look okay? or is it too small...

Ereny said:
okay so here's my work correct me if i am wrong please

change KE + change PE + change GPE = 0
F(1/2mv^2)-I(1.2mv^2) + F(1/2kx^2)- I(1/2kx^2) + F(mgh)-I(mgh) =0
(1/2*16kg * 28.2 - 0) + (0-1/2 * 2000N/m * X^2 ) + (0- 16kg * 9.81* 40m) = 0

i solved for X and i got a neg # idk why but the number is kinda right because that's what the teacher kind off had..
did i mess something in my work that's why i got a neg # idk...

Ereny said:
i think i see where i messed up i forgot to square the 28.2 .. but when i did i got X= .29 m
does that look okay? or is it too small...

I see several problems. The initial downward velocity of the object as it passes you on the way down is not zero. What is it? The final velocity of the object is not 28.2m/s when it is stretching the trampoline. It is zero there. You are mixing the two conditions together (right before the object hits the trampoline, and when it is stopped farther down by the trampoline). You are also mixing up the 40m with the delta-h from the bridge to the position that the object stops in when the trampoline is extended downward.

You should be more careful to define the conditions at each step in the sequence:

-1- When the object is just about to get thrown upwards (PE, KE)

-2- When the object reaches the top of its arc (although this is not really needed)

-3- When the object passes by you on the way down

-4- Right before when the object hits the resting trampoline

-5- When the object is stopped by the trampoline at the bottom.

would the initial velocity be 3 then.. ahh i am soo confused and oohh my teacher said to ignore the part where the trampoline goes downward and that way it will be easier to figure out i guess.

Hi Ereny! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Ereny said:
would the initial velocity be 3 then.. ahh i am soo confused and oohh my teacher said to ignore the part where the trampoline goes downward and that way it will be easier to figure out i guess.

the initial kinetic energy is your original 1/2 m 28.22 (actually, i got a very slightly different figure)

the final kinetic energy is 0

the initial elastic potential energy is 0

the difference in gravitational potential energy (in the height of the surface of the trampoline) is small, and your teacher is telling you to ignore it (but don't do that in an exam unless the question tells you to :wink:)

What is the law of conservation of energy and work?

The law of conservation of energy and work states that energy and work cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy and work in a closed system remains constant.

How does the law of conservation of energy and work apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy and work applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we turn on a light switch, electrical energy is transformed into light energy. When we use a car, chemical energy from the fuel is transformed into mechanical energy to move the car. This law is also applicable in the natural world, such as in the water cycle and photosynthesis.

What is the relationship between energy and work?

Energy and work are closely related concepts. Work is the application of force over a distance, and it requires energy to be performed. In other words, work is a transfer of energy. For example, when we push a box across the floor, we are doing work and transferring our energy to the box.

How does the law of conservation of energy and work relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The law of conservation of energy and work is a fundamental principle in the first law of thermodynamics. This law states that in any physical process, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that the energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only change forms.

Why is the law of conservation of energy and work important in scientific research?

The law of conservation of energy and work is important in scientific research because it helps scientists understand and predict the behavior of energy in different systems. It allows for the development of laws and principles that can be applied to a wide range of phenomena, from the microscopic level to the cosmic level. This law also helps scientists in designing more efficient and sustainable systems and processes.