Breit Wigner for photon intermediates

In summary, there is a discussion about understanding the BW formula for a specific reaction involving photons and muons. It is pointed out that the BW formula may not be appropriate for this reaction, but may be suitable for reactions involving massive resonances. The conversation ends with a mention of a possible interference effect caused by neutral currents and an analysis of the invariant matrix elements, with one being a limiting case of the Breit-Wigner formula.
bayners123
Hey!

I'm hoping someone can help me understand a basic problem I'm having with understanding the BW formula:

[tex]
\sigma(i,j) = \frac{\pi}{k^2} \frac{\Gamma_i \Gamma_j}{(E - E_0)^2 + \Gamma}
[/tex]

In this, [itex]E_0[/itex] is the "characteristic rest mass energy of the resonance." I thought this meant the rest mass of the intermediate particle for the resonance, but in the case of a photon how does this work?

Then I tried to consider the products, but surely the energy of the final system, and therefore it's rest mass, depends on the energy of the incident particles?

The specific reaction I'm trying to understand is [itex] e^- + e^+ \rightarrow \gamma \rightarrow \mu^- + \mu^+ [/itex]

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Breit-Wigner is not appropriate for that reaction. It would be appropriate if you were going through a massive resonance, like a phi.

Vanadium 50 said:
The Breit-Wigner is not appropriate for that reaction. It would be appropriate if you were going through a massive resonance, like a phi.

Gotcha. Turns out that the resonances I was looking at are due to [itex]b\bar{b}^\star = \Upsilon^\star [/itex] intermediates that decay to [itex] \Upsilon[/itex]s. For anyone else who stumbles on this, these are the resonances at ~10GeV.

Well you may be seeing another resonance, but I still think the Breit-Wigner form (or a limiting case of it) is entirely appropriate for a reaction like this. I'm Looking at Halzen and Martin, who analyze e+ e- → μ+ μ-, specifically for the interference effect caused by neutral currents. That is, the intermediate particle can either be γ or Z. They find the invariant matrix elements (ignoring nonessential factors)

Mγ = e2/s
MZ = g2/(s - MZ2 + iMZΓZ)

where s is the Mandelstam s. The latter is clearly Breit-Wigner, and the former a limiting case of it.

1. What is Breit Wigner for photon intermediates?

Breit Wigner for photon intermediates is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of a particle with a finite lifetime, such as a photon. It takes into account the energy and width of the particle to predict its probability of decay.

2. How is Breit Wigner used in particle physics?

In particle physics, Breit Wigner for photon intermediates is used to analyze the scattering of particles. It is also used to study the properties of unstable particles, such as their mass and lifetime.

3. What is the difference between a Breit Wigner distribution and a Gaussian distribution?

A Breit Wigner distribution is used to describe the behavior of a particle with a finite lifetime, while a Gaussian distribution is used to describe a continuous variable. The Breit Wigner distribution has a peak at a specific energy value, while a Gaussian distribution has a symmetrical bell shape.

4. Can Breit Wigner be applied to other particles besides photons?

Yes, the Breit Wigner formula can be applied to any unstable particle with a finite lifetime, including mesons, baryons, and other subatomic particles.

5. How does Breit Wigner account for the uncertainty principle?

The Breit Wigner formula takes into account the uncertainty principle by incorporating the concept of a particle's finite lifetime. This means that the energy and lifetime are inversely related, and there is a limit to how precisely we can measure both of these quantities.