What To Do When You Think You're Wasting Time and Money Applying to Grad School

In summary: Aim for schools you would be interested in attending. Graduate school is definitely an option, but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for it. I've been doing well in my classes, but I'm struggling with the material for the PGRE. My advisor keeps telling me that I'll get in, but I'm not so sure. I don't want to put in the extra work if I'm not going to reap the rewards.
d3nat
I'm currently studying for the PGRE.

I'm doing miserable. After 3 years of physics courses, this is completely discouraging. Just completely. I don't know half this material, and I've done very well in almost all of my physics courses (except EM...).

I'm starting to panic. I don't think I'm going to score very high on the PGRE, not even sure if I'm going to get into the test because I made a mistake with the date, and I'm starting to think I need to figure out a different option.

Needless to say, with graduation being in the spring, I'm utterly panicking. I have no idea what to do. I love science, I loved doing research during my REU, but I don't think I'm cut out for grad school.

My advisor is useless. I've tried talking to him about this, and he just assures me I'll get into grad school. Even if I do, I don't think I can handle the work.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do.

I really need some advice. Please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

d3nat said:
I'm currently studying for the PGRE.

I'm doing miserable. After 3 years of physics courses, this is completely discouraging. Just completely. I don't know half this material, and I've done very well in almost all of my physics courses (except EM...).

I'm starting to panic. I don't think I'm going to score very high on the PGRE, not even sure if I'm going to get into the test because I made a mistake with the date, and I'm starting to think I need to figure out a different option.

Needless to say, with graduation being in the spring, I'm utterly panicking. I have no idea what to do. I love science, I loved doing research during my REU, but I don't think I'm cut out for grad school.

My advisor is useless. I've tried talking to him about this, and he just assures me I'll get into grad school. Even if I do, I don't think I can handle the work.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do.

I really need some advice. Please?

Thanks

Any specifics would be helpful in figuring out your realistic chance of being admitted to graduate school.

I am in the same situation. Been thinking seriously about grad school for the better part of a year, but when it came down to studying for the pgre it just became extremely discouraging.

I am scoring around 500 on the practice exams and am just not improving week after week, and it's only 2 weeks until the November date. I don't have a comparatively stellar gpa (3.2 from a EU university) and absolutely no research experience except for the project I am currently doing in theory/computation in astrophysics.

Today I am seriously thinking of throwing in the towel and cutting my losses (about 1500€ in exam, application, etc. fees) and just looking for a job. I am thinking I should only consider grad school a year down the road until I can get my pgre up to something half decent.

Because physics is such an academic discipline, graduate school does tend to be the default option for students once they finish undergrad, but it's not the only option out there and you can cause yourself a lot of misery if you don't really want to be there.

I don't know that there's a perfect test to let you know if you're ready for graduate school, but one thing to consider is your purpose in applying. Is this something you really want to do? Are you attending departmental colloquia on a regular basis? Do you have a specific field you're interested in? A specific project you'd like to work on? What are you reading about in your spare time? If you're in a spot where finishing your degree is a daunting task and you're not spending any time on stuff outside of "required" work, then maybe graduate school isn't your best option - at least right now. If you're really stiving to learn more, do more, have specific academic goals, etc. then graduate school is good option for you.

Not all graduate schools require the PGRE to apply. Graduates from liberal arts colleges typically score poorly on the PGRE and still get into good graduate schools. High grades, good research experience, and good letters of recommendation can help you. Just don't aim for the top schools.

What are the signs that someone might be wasting time and money applying to grad school?

Some signs that someone might be wasting time and money applying to grad school include applying to a program that is not a good fit for their career goals, not thoroughly researching the program and its requirements, and not having a strong understanding of the application process.

What are some steps someone can take to avoid wasting time and money while applying to grad school?

To avoid wasting time and money while applying to grad school, it is important to carefully research and select programs that align with your career goals and interests. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly review the application requirements and deadlines, and seek advice from current or former students in the program.

How can someone determine if grad school is the right choice for them?

The decision to attend grad school should be based on personal and professional goals. It is important to consider if the program and degree will help you achieve your career objectives and if the financial investment is worth the potential benefits. Additionally, speaking with mentors or advisors can also help determine if grad school is the right decision.

What are some alternative options to grad school?

There are many alternative options to grad school, such as gaining work experience in your field, pursuing professional certifications, or taking online courses to improve your skills. It is important to evaluate your personal and professional goals to determine the best path for you.

Are there any resources available to help with the grad school application process?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with the grad school application process. These include online guides and tutorials, workshops and seminars, and guidance from university advisors. Additionally, reaching out to current or former grad students can provide valuable insights and advice.