Avoid Infractions: How to Be a Safe Member

• Thread starter Natassha
  • Start date
In summary, members of this forum can receive infractions for certain behaviors, such as insulting others, posting spam or personal information, and engaging in obvious crackpottery. However, first offenses may only receive a warning as a reminder of the rules. Some common first offenses include not posting homework in the designated section, using non-descriptive thread titles, and bumping threads too quickly or frequently. It is important to note that severe first offenses may result in an immediate infraction. Additionally, any promotion of crackpottery or spamming will result in an immediate ban. Ultimately, infractions and warnings are used to maintain a respectful and productive environment on the forum.
Natassha
I found that infraction are sent here in points 0 to 10. Please explain what type of post get infraction and of what point. And how to be a safe member here without any infraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Click on the Rules link at the top of this page (or any page here), and read it.

Be respectful of other people here. Don't insult them, etc.

Stick to "real science", not crackpot stuff.

If you don't want to get an infraction, then you need to read the rules and follow them: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Typically, first offenses don't get any infractions but they merely get warnings. Warnings serve to remind you of the relevant rules. The name "warning" sounds far too serious and it should be "notice" or "reminder" instead, but I think we're in the process of changing that. In any case, a warning should not be taken very seriously: it doesn't give you any infraction points or anything. They are merely reminders.

Now, the trouble begins if you ignore the "warnings" (or if your first offense is a very heavy one). If we give you a warning about doing something wrong, and you just do the same thing again, then you will be given an infraction. If you keep doing the same thing wrong, then you will be given more (and heavier) infractions.

Things that get an immediate infraction from me (so with no previous warnings) are
  • Obvious crackpottery
  • Insults
  • Spam
  • Posting personal information about another member (without permission)
  • Trolling
So basically, these are things that you know are not permitted without even reading the rules.

Some offenses that new people make (and that get warnings):
  • Not posting homework in the homework section (note: if you are self-studying and you are solving problems from a textbook, then it also belongs in homework)
  • Making a thread title that is not descriptive (such as "Please help me nowwwww!")
  • Bumping a thread too fast or too much (you should try to bump only after 24 hours have passed, and even then bump only once)
  • Posting a thread multiple times in different forums (if you have posted a thread in the wrong section, then just report it and the mentors will move it for you)
  • Asking a question cold (see https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588 )
These seem to be the most typical things that new members do to get warnings. For a full list, you'll need to read the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also note that first offense can also be given an infraction point (not just a warning) if it is "severe" enough. For example, a member posting HW-type post in several different places. Not only did this member ignored the notice, in red, before he/she made that post to not post outside of the HW/Coursework forum, but also violate the multiple-post rule. So when that happens, a Mentor may decide that the multiple violations deserve an infraction right away rather than a warning.

Note that outright promotion of crackpottery and spamming do not get warnings. They get banned immediately.

While what to send out is clear in most cases, in some cases, a judgement call is needed.

Zz.

What are infractions and why should I avoid them?

Infractions are violations of rules or regulations, and they should be avoided because they can result in consequences such as fines, penalties, or even legal action. As a member, avoiding infractions helps maintain a safe and respectful environment for everyone.

How can I be a safe member and avoid infractions?

To be a safe member and avoid infractions, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations set by the organization or community. Follow these rules and regulations, and always act with respect and consideration for others.

What are some common reasons for infractions?

Some common reasons for infractions include breaking rules or regulations, causing harm or disruption to others, and engaging in behavior that is deemed inappropriate or disrespectful. It is important to always be aware of your actions and their potential impact on others.

What should I do if I witness someone committing an infraction?

If you witness someone committing an infraction, it is important to first assess the situation and ensure your own safety. If necessary, alert a responsible authority or member of the organization. It is also important to report any infractions that you witness to prevent them from happening again in the future.

What are the consequences of committing infractions?

The consequences of committing infractions can vary depending on the severity and frequency of the infraction. They can range from a warning or fine to suspension or expulsion from the organization. In some cases, legal action may also be taken. It is important to always follow rules and regulations to avoid these consequences.