Arbitrary and inconsistent application of non-existant rule.

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: In this particular case, the child was injured and the joke could have been seen as mean-spirited and insensitive.
Jimmy Snyder
This morning a post of mine was deleted and I received an infraction. The cause was a misunderstanding on the part of the mentor who apparently thought that the thread was about a story that had ended in tragedy. In fact the child involved was not injured. When I pointed this out to the mentor, the infraction was reversed. However the post was not restored. The thread was "Dad Puts Toddler in Washing Machine and Turns it On" and the post was (to the best of my memory) "I don't get it. Most likely the child came out no cleaner than when it went in.". The reason for not restoring this post is as follows "A child was put in a very dangerous situation that could have resulted in maiming or death. Joking is not appropriate." Further, I want to draw your attention to post #2 in the thread "Mother who forgot her child was in car". The post says "Dang Evo. First tanning mom now baking mom." In this case, the child died.

I have reviewed the posting guidelines and do not find any such prohibition. If this decision is to stand, I think it would be appropriate to add one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "First tanning mom now baking mom" comment was my way of showing my disgust with parents that don't put their kids first. It was not intended as a joke.

Is this the difference? Intentional jokes as opposed to unintentional ones? How long do you think it will take me to find other examples of intentional jokes?

In the thread "Man gets mugged, transforms into mathematical savant?", post #2 says ":Laughs out loudly:". Post #4 says "Aha, more evidence for my "two by four about the head and shoulders" method of teaching!"

We do not discuss moderation decisions like this, PM a mentor if you have a problem. PM a different mentor if it's a mentor you have a problem with.

Unfortunately, unless a post is reported, mentors aren't able to read all posts, so some posts that are inappropriate or distasteful go unnoticed. Ryan did the right thing to reverse the infraction, perhaps it is better to leave the joke deleted since the child was in a potentially lethal situation and was injured, although thankfully not too seriously.

Jimmy, everyone loves your wit and sense of humor, but some people are more emotionally sensitive to situations than others and we try to keep things moderate. Of course, we will never make everyone happy, but we try our best.

1. What is meant by "arbitrary and inconsistent application" of a non-existent rule?

This refers to the situation where a rule or guideline is applied in a haphazard or unpredictable manner, without any clear reasoning or justification. In addition, the rule itself may not even exist in the first place, making the application even more arbitrary and inconsistent.

2. How does the arbitrary and inconsistent application of a non-existent rule impact decision-making?

This type of application can lead to confusion and frustration among those affected by the rule, as well as a lack of trust in the decision-making process. It can also result in unfair treatment and unequal outcomes for individuals or groups.

3. Can you provide an example of arbitrary and inconsistent application of a non-existent rule in a real-world context?

One example could be a company implementing a dress code policy that is not clearly defined or communicated to employees. As a result, some employees may be reprimanded for violating the dress code while others are not, leading to confusion and inconsistency.

4. How can a scientist address the issue of arbitrary and inconsistent application of a non-existent rule in their research?

A scientist can ensure that all rules and guidelines used in their research are clearly defined and consistently applied. They should also be open to feedback and willing to reevaluate and revise any rules that may be causing confusion or inconsistency.

5. Is there a way to prevent the arbitrary and inconsistent application of a non-existent rule?

Yes, clear communication and accountability are key in preventing this issue. Rules and guidelines should be clearly defined and consistently applied, and there should be a system in place to address any inconsistencies or concerns. Additionally, regular evaluations and revisions of rules can help prevent this problem from occurring.