Overcoming Poor Undergraduate Performance to Pursue Math PHD

In summary, the speaker is currently working as a programmer in an IT company in Shanghai. They have been graduated for 4 years with a major unrelated to math or physics, but have recently found answers to their philosophical questions in pure mathematics and theoretical physics. They are considering applying for a pure Math PHD program, despite their poor undergraduate transcript and GRE score. They are currently studying Garrity's book and are seeking suggestions on how to pursue their passion for mathematics. They are aware of the challenges they may face, but are determined to work hard and pursue their dreams.
rain.w
I'm now a programmer in a Shanghai based IT company. I have been graduated from
college for 4 years and my major in college is not math or physics related. But I kept
thinking my "philosophical stuff" along and recently found there's answers for me in
both pure mathematics and theoretical physics(M-theory/LQG, etc). so I decided to
apply for a pure Math PHD study to make a sound base to do researching job.
it's some difficult for me because:
My undergraduate transcript just show very poor performance, also in those math
classes as calculus, linear algebra and probability theory. and recently I got my first
and terrible GRE score and a TOEFL 537.
Someone told me I'll be competitive if I had journal papers. I think this is interesting
on this condition that my goal is just present my thoughts in academic paper after
learn mathematics systematically in graduate school. for now, if I have ability to
send serious paper I would most probably not that urge to apply for a graduate study.
now I'm learning Garrity's book, All the Mathematics You Missed...
I'm looking for your suggestion, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a small chance

I cannot in good conscious recommend you changing your career considering your lack of showing any ability to pursue a successful career in mathematics but if you really need to do this. You should go to school as a non-degree graduate student and than go for your masters in pure or applied mathematics.

hello, Student_at_CUNY

thank you for your reply!
yes, I was very regret not learning maths well during my college time, and
sometime I ask myself if I'm really having ability to do research in maths,
especially when I was slow in doing those exercises full of tricks in textbooks.
but in most time I tend to believe it's not the real math I'm looking for, instead
I think a math as a whole is much more important than any detailed techniques.
what is maths is the only question I want to know...
non-degree graduate study is also a good way to go, thank you.

if you want to go based on past performance, trends, etc., like the other poster said, changing careers is not a great option.

however. i believe there comes a time in everyone's life where you have to make huge choices. for you i guess its, stay in my safe job or pursue my passion.

i want to share some things i have observed for anyone who wants to pursue a very difficult dream. i am a huge baseball fan and i am a huge supporter of sabermetrics, or evaluating players strictly based on their numbers (ERA, avg home runs year, career batting average, career on base, career ops, so on and so on).

here is the point, a lot of times in life, we let numbers define us. the only way to break out of this cycle is to work extremely hard. that is the only way you get somewhere. everyone has extravagent dreams and goals, it is your will, your work ethic, your determination, your focus that will achieve your dreams or not achieve your dreams.

so, if you really feel like you are going to change careers and go to a Grad school in the United States, you must understand, you have to work very very hard. there are other people out there with better numbers; better GRE, better TOEFEL, better GPA. but, if you can dedicate yourself and work extremely hard, go for it.

good luck man

hello, JasonJo

you're right.
after all, life is always hard, especially for me in the most populous country
in the world. for the past three years I have been thinking the question if
I'd better stay in current job along or make a big change, or how to balance
them all.
I once thought to learn from the web instead of school, because there's
wikipedia open, good text lectures downloadable, there's arxiv open, and
many many others you can get on the web today. but I still know school
study is necessary to get you in the right path not too wild...
thank you very much!

Last edited:

1. How common is it for someone with poor undergraduate performance to pursue a PhD in math?

While it may seem uncommon, it is not unheard of for individuals with poor undergraduate performance to pursue a PhD in math. Many factors can contribute to undergraduate performance, and it does not necessarily determine one's potential for success in a graduate program.

2. What steps can I take to overcome my poor undergraduate performance and improve my chances of being accepted into a math PhD program?

The first step is to identify the reasons for your poor performance and address them. This may include seeking academic support, improving study habits, or retaking courses. It is also important to have a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation that highlight your strengths and potential for success in a graduate program.

3. Can my GRE scores make up for my poor undergraduate performance?

While strong GRE scores can certainly help your application, they cannot completely compensate for poor undergraduate performance. Admissions committees will still consider your overall academic record, as well as other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation.

4. Are there any specific math courses I should take to improve my chances of being accepted into a PhD program?

While it is important to have a strong foundation in math, there is no specific set of courses that will guarantee acceptance into a PhD program. However, taking advanced math courses and performing well in them can demonstrate your aptitude and preparedness for graduate-level work.

5. Are there any resources or programs available for individuals with poor undergraduate performance who want to pursue a math PhD?

Yes, there are resources and programs available to help individuals with poor undergraduate performance prepare for and apply to math PhD programs. These may include mentorship programs, GRE preparation courses, and summer research programs. It is also helpful to reach out to faculty and advisors for guidance and support.