Properties of the Function f:Z→Z with the Rule f(n) = 4n^3 - 1

• Thread starter nicnicman
  • Start date
In summary, the function f: Z→Z with the rule f(n) = 4n^3 - 1 is one-to-one, but not onto. This is shown through a proof that if f(u)= f(v), then u= v, and a counterexample that there is no integer n where 4n^3 - 1 = 1.
nicnicman

Homework Statement

Is the function one-to-one, onto, both, or neither?
f: Z→Z has the rule of f(n) = 4n^3 - 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer: one-to-one

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how would you show it was one to one? How would you show it was onto?

I believe you are right that it is injective. It be wise that you show a proof to confirm its 1:1 and a counterexample to show its onto.

Well, the function is not onto because there is no integer n where 4n^3 - 1 = 1.

One-to-one proof:

4u^3 - 1 = 4v^3 - 1
4u^3 = 4v^3
u^3 = v ^3
u = v

Good. Now what about onto?

Thanks.

The function is not onto because there is no integer n where 4n^3 - 1 = 1.

nicnicman said:
One-to-one proof:

4u^3 - 1 = 4v^3 - 1
4u^3 = 4v^3
u^3 = v ^3
u = v

That seems fine to me. Neither of those is really a full scale proof. But I doubt you are expected to provide one. They are both good arguments that what you say is correct.

Yeah, the book doesn't even ask for a proof, but it's nice to know that the answer is right.

I disagree. What he gave are "full scale proofs". He showed that if f(u)= f(v) then u= v which is a perfectly good proof that f is "one to one". And he gave a counter example showing that it is NOT "onto".

1. What does "1-1" mean in mathematics?

In mathematics, "1-1" is a term used to describe a function that maps each element of the domain to a distinct element in the range. This means that for every input, there is only one output. Another way to think of it is that no two elements in the domain have the same image in the range.

2. What is the definition of an "onto" function?

An "onto" function, also known as a surjective function, is a function that maps the entire domain to the entire range, meaning that every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, the range is equal to the co-domain of the function.

3. Can a function be both "1-1" and "onto"?

Yes, a function can be both "1-1" and "onto". This type of function is known as a bijection and it has a one-to-one correspondence between the domain and the range. This means that every element in the domain has a unique element in the range and every element in the range has a unique element in the domain.

4. What is the difference between "1-1" and "onto" functions?

The main difference between "1-1" and "onto" functions is that "1-1" functions have a one-to-one correspondence between the domain and the range, while "onto" functions have a one-to-one correspondence between the entire domain and the entire range. "1-1" functions may have elements in the range that are not mapped to, while "onto" functions must map all elements in the range.

5. How can I determine if a function is "1-1", "onto", both, or neither?

To determine if a function is "1-1", you can use the horizontal line test, which states that if a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not "1-1". To determine if a function is "onto", you can use the vertical line test, which states that if a vertical line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not "onto". If a function passes both the horizontal line test and the vertical line test, then it is both "1-1" and "onto". If it fails one or both tests, then it is neither "1-1" nor "onto".