How does 1,4 H elimination work in butene?

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction of 2-cis-butene to produce 1,3-butadiene through "1,4-H elimination". The speaker is unsure if this reaction involves a radical species or if it is an "auto-elimination". The other person suggests that it may be a pericyclic reaction similar to a retro-Diels Alder. The link provided leads to a paper discussing the unimolecular and symmetry-forbidden nature of the reaction.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I've read that 2-cis-butene gives 1,3-butadiene by "1,4-H elimination". I don't really understand what kind of reaction it is. Does it involve the presence of a radical specie or is it an "auto-elimination"? How does it work?

Thanks !EDIT: How can I change the title to "1,4 H elimination in butene" ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Conventional wisdom (I.e., my intuition) leads me to believe that—at least in its uncatalyzed incarnation—it’s a pericyclic reaction similar to a retro-Diels Alder. I can’t see the full paper here right at the moment:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/kin.550050608
but the words “unimolecular” and “symmetry-forbidden” lead me to believe my intuition is right.

Likes dRic2
I can't read the full paper, but thanks for the link and the suggestions! :)

1. What is 1,4 H abstraction in butene?

1,4 H abstraction in butene refers to the removal of a hydrogen atom from the 1 and 4 positions on the carbon chain of butene. This results in the formation of a double bond between the adjacent carbon atoms.

2. How does 1,4 H abstraction occur in butene?

1,4 H abstraction in butene can occur through a variety of mechanisms, such as radical reactions or photochemical reactions. It typically involves the formation of a reactive intermediate, which then abstracts a hydrogen atom from the 1 or 4 position on the butene molecule.

3. What are the potential products of 1,4 H abstraction in butene?

The potential products of 1,4 H abstraction in butene depend on the specific reaction conditions and the substituents attached to the butene molecule. However, some possible products include butadiene, 1,3 butadiene, and 1-butene.

4. What factors influence the rate of 1,4 H abstraction in butene?

The rate of 1,4 H abstraction in butene can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, the presence of catalysts, and the concentration of reactants. The stability of the reactive intermediate formed during the reaction can also affect the rate of 1,4 H abstraction.

5. What are the potential applications of 1,4 H abstraction in butene?

1,4 H abstraction in butene can have various applications in organic synthesis, such as in the production of butadiene and other valuable chemicals. It can also be used in the development of new reaction mechanisms and in understanding the behavior of radical reactions.