Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

10th Planet resonance with Neptune

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"10th Planet" resonance with Neptune

The "10th Planet" is locked in resonance with Neptune. 2003 UB313 is in a 17:5 resonance with Neptune. I've never seen a number as high as 17 be part of a resonance before :surprised . 2005 FY9 is in an 11:6 resonance with Neptune. Here's a page I made illustrating the resonances:

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/newtno.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2
    Tony, what do you mean "10th planet resonates with Neptune"? How does a planet resonate? I've never heard that. Not doubting you, but I've just never heard of it before.

~Kitty

4. Aug 12, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its not the planet, its the orbit he's talking about. When two planets pass near each other, they pull on each other, affecting the shape of their orbits.

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've updated the link in my first post. It now shows an animation of what a resonance can do.

In this case, the resonance makes sure that 2003 UB313 orbits the Sun exactly 5 times for every 17 orbits made by Neptune. If an outside pertubation speeds up 2003 UB313's orbit making the resonance 17.01 : 5, Neptune will perturb 2003 UB313 and slow it back down to 16.99 : 5. It will continue oscillating between 17.01 : 5 and 16.99 : 5 indefinately, averaging exactly 17 : 5. Resonances are only interesting if they're integers.

Pluto is locked in a 3:2 resonance with Neptune. For every 3 orbits Neptune makes around the Sun, Pluto makes 2. Not exactly 2. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. But Neptune causes Pluto's period to oscillate with exactly 2 as its average over long periods of time. This ensures that they will never collide.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?