11:11-what does it mean?

It's a sign.

Mk
Archon said:
Here's an interesting coincidence: earlier today, I looked at the clock and saw 11:11, so I immediately thought of this thread. Of course, that's nothing special. But just now, I was reading through the thread again, and I thought to myself: "obviously this is stupid. If I look at the clock at random times, it's not going to show 11:11 or 1:11 an unusual number of times." Just to prove my point, I looked at my clock. It was 1:11. :smile:
You know what would be fun? Every clock I see, I change the time to 11:11, then take out the batteries. Good way to get free batteries, and it freaks people out. Kill two birds with one stone.

yeah, take those batteries out of all the digital clocks. people will think it is always 11:11, or they would IF THEY COULD SEE IT.

i only ever notice when its 6:66

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gale said:
i only ever notice when its 6:66
I might take notice of that too.

Oh, look at the coincidence! When I started reading the new posts to this thread today, it was 12:09, and now that I'm sitting here replying, it's 12:10, and I bet if I wait a few seconds longer, it'll be 12:11! How freaky! :rofl:

Archon
I just looked at a clock and it was 10:11! The end is near!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This thread reminds me of a quote in the preface to Six Easy Pieces:
Richard Feynman said:
You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming
here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot.
And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate
ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the
state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight?
Amazing!

Math Is Hard said:
This thread reminds me of a quote in the preface to Six Easy Pieces:
Oh my God! That's so weird! I just quoted the very same passage in a thread here about two and a half years ago!!!!

This is PF, what are you doing polluting it with the most obvious, logical solution?

That said, 50 dollars on angels!

rachmaninoff
Posted at 1:11.

rachmaninoff said:
11:11 by my time zone. I hope that doesn't mean we're soulmates or anything like that.:yuck:

Why is it I get an overwhelming urge to turn my clock upside down when it reads:
||:||

Mk
rachmaninoff said:
Looks like 5:11 PM. Or 17:11

rachmaninoff
And now, 1:11 on the east coast.

Mk
Looks like 11:11 to me. Hope we're not soulmates or anything :yuck:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
rachmaninoff said:
And now, 1:11 on the east coast.
Nope, that was 3:11 on the east coast. East is to your other right. :biggrin:

thank you. I thought I was going to have to reset my clocks or something. I'm in Arizona, but I could have sworn I was closer to the West Coast than the East until I saw my time matched rachmaninoff's east coast

Cromben
Dumb

Confirmation bias???? Blah, blah, blah. You guys don't know what this is either.

It's all over the interweb. Some folks think it's angels, some think it makes us "lightworkers."

BAH! This is really starting to piss me off. I started this post unintentionally at 11:11 pm. Honestly, I don't care what science or the New Agers say, this is a very real phenomenon. Why would so many people see 11:11?

You poor sod!
More like his mum's the poor sod, she had a him at 9 pounds and eleven ounces,....ouch!

russ_watters
Mentor
BAH! This is really starting to piss me off. I started this post unintentionally at 11:11 pm. Honestly, I don't care what science or the New Agers say, this is a very real phenomenon. Why would so many people see 11:11?
You posted at 00:14 -- in a two year old thread.

I don't get it either, lately when I wake up my clock is like... blinking 12:00 or something and when I log onto my computer to continue my work from the night before its just my desktop with all the applications closed. Creepy. :confused:

I still owe my dad $12.00 and I was born at midnight, I wonder...

Last edited:
I would say that perhaps all your clocks are broken, and do in fact only display one time (or perhaps they alternate between 1:11 and 11:11?). If you know for a fact that your clocks are capable of displaying other times, then clearly it doesn't happen every single time you look at the clock.

Edit: oops, just realized this thread was necroposted

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Confirmation bias???? Blah, blah, blah. You guys don't know what this is either.

It's all over the interweb. Some folks think it's angels, some think it makes us "lightworkers."

For whatever reason, the time 11:11 has been made salient to you. It is readily "available" in memory, and appears to be related to the "availability heuristic".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic
The availability heuristic is a rule of thumb, heuristic, or cognitive bias, where people base their prediction of the frequency of an event or the proportion within a population based on how easily an example can be brought to mind.
When I first bought the car I have now, I started seeing that model everywhere I went. They were all over the place. But it wasn't because tons of people had gone out and bought that model, it's just that I just started noticing them where I hadn't paid any attention before.

If you'd like to discuss evolutionary advantages of human cognitive biases and heuristics, which is more at the root of your "why" question, we can do this in another thread. Meanwhile, I am closing this thread in an effort to discourage crackpots and "lightworkers" who might be attracted to it.

Last edited: