Is there a deeper meaning behind constantly seeing the time 11:11?

• Thread starter totallyclueless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, it seems that some people are noticing the clock at 11:11 more often than usual, and some people are noticing the clock at 9:11 more often than usual.
Posted at 1:11.

Physics news on Phys.org
rachmaninoff said:
11:11 by my time zone. I hope that doesn't mean we're soulmates or anything like that.:yuck:

Why is it I get an overwhelming urge to turn my clock upside down when it reads:
||:||

rachmaninoff said:
Looks like 5:11 PM. Or 17:11

And now, 1:11 on the east coast.

Looks like 11:11 to me. Hope we're not soulmates or anything :yuck:

rachmaninoff said:
And now, 1:11 on the east coast.
Nope, that was 3:11 on the east coast. East is to your other right. :biggrin:

thank you. I thought I was going to have to reset my clocks or something. I'm in Arizona, but I could have sworn I was closer to the West Coast than the East until I saw my time matched rachmaninoff's east coast

Dumb

Confirmation bias? Blah, blah, blah. You guys don't know what this is either.

It's all over the interweb. Some folks think it's angels, some think it makes us "lightworkers."

BAH! This is really starting to piss me off. I started this post unintentionally at 11:11 pm. Honestly, I don't care what science or the New Agers say, this is a very real phenomenon. Why would so many people see 11:11?

Chi Meson said:
You poor sod!

More like his mum's the poor sod, she had a him at 9 pounds and eleven ounces,...ouch!

Cromben said:
BAH! This is really starting to piss me off. I started this post unintentionally at 11:11 pm. Honestly, I don't care what science or the New Agers say, this is a very real phenomenon. Why would so many people see 11:11?
You posted at 00:14 -- in a two year old thread.

I don't get it either, lately when I wake up my clock is like... blinking 12:00 or something and when I log onto my computer to continue my work from the night before its just my desktop with all the applications closed. Creepy. :confused:

I still owe my dad $12.00 and I was born at midnight, I wonder...

Last edited:
I would say that perhaps all your clocks are broken, and do in fact only display one time (or perhaps they alternate between 1:11 and 11:11?). If you know for a fact that your clocks are capable of displaying other times, then clearly it doesn't happen every single time you look at the clock.

Edit: oops, just realized this thread was necroposted

Cromben said:
Confirmation bias? Blah, blah, blah. You guys don't know what this is either.

It's all over the interweb. Some folks think it's angels, some think it makes us "lightworkers."

For whatever reason, the time 11:11 has been made salient to you. It is readily "available" in memory, and appears to be related to the "availability heuristic".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic
The availability heuristic is a rule of thumb, heuristic, or cognitive bias, where people base their prediction of the frequency of an event or the proportion within a population based on how easily an example can be brought to mind.

When I first bought the car I have now, I started seeing that model everywhere I went. They were all over the place. But it wasn't because tons of people had gone out and bought that model, it's just that I just started noticing them where I hadn't paid any attention before.

If you'd like to discuss evolutionary advantages of human cognitive biases and heuristics, which is more at the root of your "why" question, we can do this in another thread. Meanwhile, I am closing this thread in an effort to discourage crackpots and "lightworkers" who might be attracted to it.

Last edited: