Exploring 120-Sided Dice and Eigenvalues

In summary: Yes, that is correct. When we measure an observable with a continuous spectrum, the result will be a superposition of different states. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more accurately we know the value of one observable, the less accurately we can know the value of another observable. In the case of a continuous spectrum, the uncertainty in the measurement is infinite, meaning that the result will always be a superposition.
mike1000
Here is a picture of a set of 120 sided dice. Each die has 120 eigenvalues. It is easy to see that as the number of eigenvalues increases, the probability of any eigenvalue gets smaller. In the limit where the number of eigenvalues is ##\infty## the probability of anyone eigenvalue approaches zero and the shape becomes a sphere.

I suppose that in 120 dimensional space, each die would be represented by a single point. The vector describing that point would have 120 components. Each component would represent the probability that the die would be found in that particular eigenstate.

Dice.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
mike1000 said:
Here is a picture of a set of 120 sided dice. Each die has 120 eigenvalues.
How can a die have eigenvalues?

mike1000 said:
It is easy to see that as the number of eigenvalues increases, the probability of any eigenvalue gets smaller.
That's incorrect. There is not reason to assume that all outcomes are equiprobable.

mike1000 said:
I suppose that in 120 dimensional space, each die would be represented by a single point.
This I really don't get.

mike1000 said:
The vector describing that point would have 120 components. Each component would represent the probability that the die would be found in that particular eigenstate.
I get the analogy you are trying to make, but this is also incorrect. Probabilities are related to absolute values square, not components. Also, you have to differentiate the space of possible outcomes with the actual state of a given die.

DrClaude said:
How can a die have eigenvalues?

Well a die can have eigenvalues because the result of a measurement on a die can only be one of the 120 values on the die.(I suspect there has to be some matrix operator that exists that actually has those 120 possible outcomes as real eigenvalues.)

That's incorrect. There is not reason to assume that all outcomes are equiprobable.

Yes. I should have stated in my original post that I was talking about a system where all outcomes were equally probable. The state vector would look like \begin{equation}|\psi\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{120}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\1\\ \vdots\\1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation}
This I really don't get.
I am assuming that each possible outcome can be considered a dimension in some probability space. Since there are 120 possible outcomes the total dimension of the space is 120. An arbitrary point in that space would be defined by a vector that has 120 components. When the die is shaking the state would be a superposition of all possible states as shown in Equation (1)
I get the analogy you are trying to make, but this is also incorrect. Probabilities are related to absolute values square, not components. Also, you have to differentiate the space of possible outcomes with the actual state of a given die.

I should have said "probability amplitudes" in my original post.

Last edited:
I get what the OP is trying to get at, so I wouldn't say that it's wrong. Yes, you can model this with a Hilbert space and take the components to be the probability amplitudes (this is just quantum mechanics restricted to only one basis) or the probabilities themselves i.e. using 1-norm instead of 2-norm. See this lecture by Scott Aaronson: http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Truecrimson said:
I get what the OP is trying to get at, so I wouldn't say that it's wrong.
It's certainly not "not even wrong" :smile:

Maybe one can use it to motivate a lesson on density matrices on a continuum type state space.

mike1000 said:
Here is a picture of a set of 120 sided dice. Each die has 120 eigenvalues. It is easy to see that as the number of eigenvalues increases, the probability of any eigenvalue gets smaller. In the limit where the number of eigenvalues is ##\infty## the probability of anyone eigenvalue approaches zero and the shape becomes a sphere.

I suppose that in 120 dimensional space, each die would be represented by a single point. The vector describing that point would have 120 components. Each component would represent the probability that the die would be found in that particular eigenstate.

View attachment 133273
What's your point? What did we learn from the 120-sides case that we didn't already know from the 6-sides case?

Demystifier said:
What's your point? What did we learn from the 120-sides case that we didn't already know from the 6-sides case?

My point was that superposition is not a real state that the die can be measured in. When the die is being shaken it is put into an indeterminate state that is described mathematically as a superposition of possible outcomes but does not correspond to an actual outcome.

Also, I realized that as the number of possible outcomes goes to infinity the shape of the die becomes a sphere. How do you determine what the outcome of a shake is when the die is a sphere? It must be the tangent point of the sphere to the table when the die hits the table.

mike1000 said:
My point was that superposition is not a real state that the die can be measured in. When the die is being shaken it is put into an indeterminate state that is described mathematically as a superposition of possible outcomes but does not correspond to an actual outcome.
Couldn't you do all this with 6 sides?

mike1000 said:
Also, I realized that as the number of possible outcomes goes to infinity the shape of the die becomes a sphere. How do you determine what the outcome of a shake is when the die is a sphere?
Ah, now I see why 6 is not big enough. On the sphere the spectrum is continuous, and continuos observables cannot be measured with perfect accuracy.

Demystifier said:
Ah, now I see why 6 is not big enough. On the sphere the spectrum is continuous, and continuos observables cannot be measured with perfect accuracy.

If an observable with a continuous spectrum cannot be measured with perfect accuracy, does that mean that when we measure it we find that it actually is in a superposition of one or more states?

mike1000 said:
If an observable with a continuous spectrum cannot be measured with perfect accuracy, does that mean that when we measure it we find that it actually is in a superposition of one or more states?
Yes.

1. What is a 120-sided dice and why is it important to explore?

A 120-sided dice is a geometric solid with 120 equal faces, numbered from 1 to 120. It is important to explore because it has a high number of sides, making it useful for generating a large range of random numbers in various applications such as gaming and statistical simulations.

2. How do you calculate the eigenvalues of a 120-sided dice?

The eigenvalues of a 120-sided dice can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of its adjacency matrix. The adjacency matrix represents the connections between the faces of the dice, and its eigenvalues can provide valuable information about the dice's structure.

3. What are some real-world applications of exploring 120-sided dice and eigenvalues?

Some real-world applications include using the dice as a tool for generating random numbers in statistical simulations, using the eigenvalues to analyze the connectivity and symmetry of molecules in chemistry, and using the dice as a tool for generating random game elements in board games and role-playing games.

4. Can the concept of eigenvalues be applied to other geometric shapes?

Yes, the concept of eigenvalues can be applied to other geometric shapes such as cubes, spheres, and cylinders. However, the calculation of eigenvalues may differ depending on the specific characteristics of the shape.

5. Are there any limitations to exploring 120-sided dice and eigenvalues?

One limitation is that the concept of eigenvalues may not be applicable to all types of 120-sided dice, as some may not have a well-defined adjacency matrix. Additionally, the complexity of calculating eigenvalues increases with the number of sides, making it more difficult to analyze larger dice with a higher number of sides.