120 VAC socket and switching question

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Socket
In summary, the conversation was about identifying the hot and neutral pins on an AC socket, the type of socket found on the back of monitors and PCs, and how to switch a 120 VAC household wiring circuit. The expert provided information on the layout and color-coding of the pins, as well as the correct method for switching the hot leg of the circuit for safety purposes. They also recommended a specific part number for the socket and gave advice on how to wire it. The conversation ended with some humorous banter between two individuals with the same nickname.
Sparky_
Greetings –

I have 5 (somewhat related) questions –

1) Regarding the AC “socket” with the male pins that are on the back of most monitors and PCs – which pin is the hot and which is the neutral?

2) I could plug an AC cord up to the socket and if I do this – on a standard male plug that plugs into a wall outlet which of those 2 pins are the hot and neutral?

3) essentially the same question as 2) on an AC plug that plugs into the wall that has 1 pin that is slightly wider than the one beside it (that won’t plug into the female side of Christmas lights  ) is the slightly wider pin the hot?

4) How do I call out the simple AC socket found in the back of monitors and pcs? I have searched digi-key and thus far the closest I’ve found is a module with the socket but also with a switch and fuse for around 8 to 9 dollars. I would like the simple socket for cheap.

5) If switching something on 120 VAC household wiring – light bulb for example – would you switch the hot or the neutral? I’m guessing the hot.

Thanks
Sparky

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sparky_ said:
Greetings –

I have 5 (somewhat related) questions –

1) Regarding the AC “socket” with the male pins that are on the back of most monitors and PCs – which pin is the hot and which is the neutral?

2) I could plug an AC cord up to the socket and if I do this – on a standard male plug that plugs into a wall outlet which of those 2 pins are the hot and neutral?

3) essentially the same question as 2) on an AC plug that plugs into the wall that has 1 pin that is slightly wider than the one beside it (that won’t plug into the female side of Christmas lights  ) is the slightly wider pin the hot?

4) How do I call out the simple AC socket found in the back of monitors and pcs? I have searched digi-key and thus far the closest I’ve found is a module with the socket but also with a switch and fuse for around 8 to 9 dollars. I would like the simple socket for cheap.

5) If switching something on 120 VAC household wiring – light bulb for example – would you switch the hot or the neutral? I’m guessing the hot.

Thanks
Sparky

It's called an IEC 320 socket module:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...cket+module&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

On the standard 3-prong AC socket (the female, like on a power strip), the narrower hole is the Hot, and the wider hole is the Neutral. If you look at the socket and it looks like a face looking at you, the face's right eye is the wider Neutral, the face's left eye is the narrower Hot, and the mouth is the ground hole.

I'm not sure how this translates to the IEC 320 socket module, but you can beep out a 3-prong power cord (that ends in the female IEC 320 connector) to be sure. You may be able to find the Hot/Neutral spec in the IEC 320 socket module datasheets as well.

Thanks

Yes I can buzz out the socket with a cable plugged up to it.

(I guessed wrong - I guessed the wider would be the hot.)

Thanks for the part number also!

if the socket you get has screw terminals, a common way makers distinguish hot and neutral is different colored terminals. the hot will be darker than the neutral (usually copper finish vs aluminum finish). if not i would just wire it so that if you are looking at it head on with the ground (middle offset prong) down, the hot on the left and neutral on the right (inverse of your wall outlet).

Regarding which to switch -

would you switch the neutral or the hot - say through a relay going to a light bulb?

Thanks again

The wide terminal is the neutral. And you always want to switch the hot leg which removes the power completely from the circuit.

Also, the live leg should be the fused one, for the same reason.

dlgoff said:
The wide terminal is the neutral. And you always want to switch the hot leg which removes the power completely from the circuit.

Thanks!

(sort of what I thought but wanted to be sure). I have nto done many household wiring projects.

This is not for the house - I have a little embedded project where I will have a 120 VAC light bulb turn on and off as a demonstration.

Thanks again - very helpful

Sparky_ said:
Thanks

Yes I can buzz out the socket with a cable plugged up to it.

(I guessed wrong - I guessed the wider would be the hot.)

Thanks for the part number also!

sparkey said:
if the socket you get has screw terminals, a common way makers distinguish hot and neutral is different colored terminals. the hot will be darker than the neutral (usually copper finish vs aluminum finish). if not i would just wire it so that if you are looking at it head on with the ground (middle offset prong) down, the hot on the left and neutral on the right (inverse of your wall outlet).

Yikes! We have two Sparkys! :bugeye:

its an invasion, look out!

sparkey said:
its an invasion, look out!

:)

You will be assimilated

Resistance is futile –

(unless it’s less then 1 ohm)

Thanks again for the advice

1. What is a 120 VAC socket?

A 120 VAC socket is an electrical outlet that can provide power at a voltage of 120 volts alternating current (VAC). This is the standard voltage used in most household and commercial electrical systems in the United States and Canada.

2. How do I know if a socket is rated for 120 VAC?

Most sockets in the United States and Canada are rated for 120 VAC, but you can confirm by checking the label or markings on the socket. It should indicate the voltage rating, which will typically be 120 VAC. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a licensed electrician.

3. Can I use a 120 VAC socket for a higher voltage?

No, it is not safe to use a 120 VAC socket for a higher voltage. This can cause damage to your appliances and can also be a fire hazard. It is important to always use the correct voltage and amperage for your electrical devices.

4. What is the difference between a 120 VAC socket and a 240 VAC socket?

A 120 VAC socket provides power at a voltage of 120 volts, while a 240 VAC socket provides power at a voltage of 240 volts. This means that a 240 VAC socket can handle twice as much power as a 120 VAC socket. 240 VAC sockets are typically used for larger appliances like dryers and ovens.

5. How does switching work in a 120 VAC socket?

In a 120 VAC socket, the switch controls the flow of electricity from the power source to the device plugged into the socket. When the switch is turned on, it completes the circuit and allows electricity to flow. When the switch is turned off, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity. This is important for safety and energy conservation.