Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

12VDC/2A power adapter to power two systems?

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hey!
    So I have a raspberry pi that uses 5V/1.2A and a LCD monitor that uses 12v/0.2A. I would like to power both using a single wall power outlet. I found a power adapter that converts 100-240VAC/50-60Hz/1.2A to 12VDC/2A.

I was wondering if it is as easy as cutting off the connector on the other side of the adapter, and using the +12/-12 wires to power the LCD (which I'm sure would work), then I would also tap the +12/-12 wires to a LM317T so that it outputs a regulated voltage of 5V (to the pi).

Will this work?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup .... ensure the 317 is well heat sunk ... it's going to dissipate a lot of watts of heat
    namely 7 x 1.2A = 8.4W

edit .... also note that @ 1.2A that is right near the max for the LM317 .... best to use the TO3 case not the TO220 case version

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3

perplexabot

Gold Member

Thank you for the quick reply! Great to hear it is that simple! Unfortunately now I have to solder together a new circuit for the TO3 instead of using an older circuit i had with the TO220.

Oh well, shouldn't be too bad. Thanks again.

EDIT: DAMN! Those TO3's are 40 bucks on digikey!

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted