1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

13.56MHz Signal Phase Shift by 90 Degrees

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a 13.56MHz signal to be used in a power sensor. However, in order for it to go through the RF/IF Phase and Gain Detector [AD8302], I need to shift the phase of this 13.56MHz signal by +90 degrees.

I want to avoid using Transistors, due to the variation in β of the component in higher temperature, and inconsistency overall.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

-peace
    stickman!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Transistor amplifier stage gains do not have to rely on a particular value of β; they can be set by feedback in their bias networks.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Could you suggest me a way I could balance the 50 Ohm load and get a 90 degree phase change using transformer/inductor/capacitor/resistor?

-peace
    stickman!

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4

gneill

I think you'd have to have details about the load impedance and the source impedance to design something passive. When in doubt, an op-amp buffer is a possibility (high input impedance, very low output impedance).

6. Mar 8, 2012 #5
    It'll be used in a Matching Box, so I want the Output Impedance and Input Impedance to be equal to 50Ω.

-peace
    stickman!

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I know you want a passive design but I will give you this as a blackbox device that should meet your requirement.

http://www.minicircuits.com/MCLStore/ModelInfoDisplay?13313152880980.24693377665622407 [Broken]

Adjust the control voltage to the needed shift.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Mar 9, 2012 #7
    A passive network with 50 ohms in and 50 ohms out at 13.56 MHz which will give a 90 deg. phase shift can be any of the following. In every instance the two outer elements are the same, capacitors or inductors, and the inner one is the opposite. -Xc = Xl = 50 ohms. For 13.56 MHz, L = 590 nH, C = 233 pF.

High pass T network
    Low pass T network
    High pass Pi network
    Low pass Pi network

9. Mar 9, 2012 #8

berkeman

That link isn't working for me, and I wasn't able to find a MiniCircuits phase shifter that works in the range of 13MHz. Do they have one?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Mar 11, 2012 #9
    They do. check this - http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/SPH-16+.pdf

You could also use a RC phase shifter -
    you have 2 signals, one with 0 phase shift and other with 180 phase shift. Feed the 0 phase shift to R and 180 phase shift to C. Vary the R, you can get phase shift from 0 to 180.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook