1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st order transfer function from data

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    Hello,

Im trying to model an RF attenuator for use in a control system. The control voltage is from 0-2.1V and I
    applied a step function signal from 0-2.1V and measured the output. I was able to model it as a first
    order system in the form Kdc / Xs + 1.

The issue I'm having is understanding how to represent the DC gain component in the numerator. I understand
    that the DC gain is the value that the output settles at, but I feel like I need to normalize it to
    a unit step function rather than a 2.1V step.

I input 0dBm of RF power and step the control voltage from 0-2.1V and the output swings from -27.6dBm to
    -1.4dBm. How would the DC gain be normalized to a unit step function input for analysis and design of
    the control loop.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2
    That's only true for a unit step response. In general, its DC gain is the steady-state gain to a constant input (if your system has a steady state), i.e. css = KDC*r ⇔ KDC = css/r, where css is the steady-state output and r is the constant input.

In short, measure the ratio of the steady-state output to the constant input.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook