Top Math Books for Self-Study: 1st Year University Course | NSW, Australia

In summary, the speaker is a high school graduate who will be starting an advanced mathematics course at a university in NSW, Australia. They are unsure about the specific content of the course, but have heard that it will include discrete mathematics. They are looking for book recommendations to prepare for the course, as they want to do well in their first year. They mention their proficiency in topics such as single-variable calculus, trigonometry, complex numbers, and polynomials. The speaker suggests reading the Wikipedia entry for discrete mathematics and checking out the book by Norman L. Biggs mentioned in the "Further reading" section.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'm just out of high school and will be starting an advanced mathematics course in University (NSW, Australia). I'm unsure what each course consists of specifically, and all I've really heard about that will be in it is "discrete mathematics".
It's vital that I get good marks on average throughout the first year, so I thought I would start early with self-study.

What book(s) do you guys recommend? Note I took extension 2 mathematics in high school (the highest level available) so I'm already proficient in quite a few topics such as single-variable calculus, trigonometry, complex numbers, polynomials etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand the importance of self-study and preparation in any field of study, especially in mathematics. Congratulations on taking the initiative to start early and improve your understanding of the subject.

Firstly, I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the specific curriculum and topics covered in the first year mathematics course at your university. This will give you a better idea of what to expect and what areas you may need to focus on.

In terms of books, there are many great resources available for self-study in mathematics. Some popular options for first-year university courses include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay. These books cover a wide range of topics and are often used as textbooks in university courses.

Since you have already mastered some topics in high school, you may also want to consider more advanced texts such as "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig or "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick. These books may challenge you further and provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

Additionally, I would recommend utilizing online resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera courses to supplement your self-study. These platforms offer a variety of resources, including video lectures, practice problems, and interactive quizzes.

In conclusion, it is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics included in your university course. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors or peers for recommendations and additional resources. With dedication and hard work, I am confident you will excel in your first year mathematics course. Best of luck!

1. What are some popular 1st year math books?

Some popular choices for 1st year math books include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart and Lothar Redlin, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for self-studying 1st year math?

Yes, there are many great options for self-studying 1st year math. Some popular choices include "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang, "Precalculus" by Michael Sullivan, and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.

3. How do I know which 1st year math book is right for me?

It's important to consider your own learning style and goals when choosing a 1st year math book. Some factors to consider include the level of rigor, the approach or teaching style of the author, and the topics covered in the book. It can also be helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from peers or professors.

4. Are there any free online resources for 1st year math?

Yes, there are many free online resources for 1st year math, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These resources offer lectures, practice problems, and other helpful materials to supplement your learning.

5. Can I use a 1st year math book from a different edition or author?

It is generally recommended to use the textbook assigned by your professor, as it will likely align with the course material and assignments. However, using a different edition or author is possible, but may require some extra effort to match up the topics and problem sets. It's best to consult with your professor before making this decision.