2 Bright things in the sky. Which 1 is Venus? And what's the other object?

• Thread starter johnnya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky Venus
In summary: I'm running on Windows 7 32 bit now haven't installed Stellarium yet, but will tell you if I get a crash.I have not had any crashes with it on Windows 7.
johnnya
Hi,

I was just wondering if some astronomers here could help me indentify 2 bright things in the sky. I'm not an astronomer, but I'm quite interested in the subject.

One of these things can be seen at about 6.00 P.M. to about 10.30 P.M. where I'm from (Southern Europe). It shows up in the west. I was always taught that the brightest star in the sky is not a star, it's venus, so I always thought that this thing was venus.

But recently I started seeing another object which is even brighter than the first thing (which I thought to be venus). This thing is very bright, and it can be seen at about 3.30 A.M. to 6.00 A.M.. It shows up in the east, and then it stops showing when the sun rises.

My questions are...

Which one is venus, and what do you think the other thing is? Is it mars?

Thanks in advance! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In the east at the start of the night at the moment it's probably Mars - venus isn't up at night in the northern hemishere right now

check out http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

NobodySpecial said:
In the east at the start of the night at the moment it's probably Mars - venus isn't up at night in the northern hemishere right now

check out http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

At the start of the night the object that I see shows up in the west, it's the other object (the brighter one) that's to be seen at the east (in the early morning).

I have the following rise and set times for some of the planets:

Mercury rises 3:59 am, sets 5:54 pm

Venus rises 2:21 am, sets 3:46 pm

Mars rises 5:50 am, sets 8:03 pm

Jupiter rises 11:19 am, sets 11:39 pm

Saturn rises 12:33 am, sets 1:02 pm

These are for Dec 31st and for West Australia, but the times should be similar elsewhere.

It looks like your evening object is Jupiter and the morning one is Venus.

There is a very nice (and now free) program called Skyglobe. If you can get a copy of this, it is handy for this.

From the times, I'd guess that the first object you mention is Jupiter and the second brighter object is Venus.

Venus is the brightest celestial object in the Sky (not including the Sun and the Moon!), followed by Jupiter, Sirius (the Dog Star), and Mars (although Mars occasionally outshines Sirius when Mars makes its closest approach to Earth). Venus is real cool :cool:to look at when it is at its closest approach to earth...big and bright.:bugeye:

Janus is correct: Jupiter in the evening, Venus in the morning.

Thanks for the help guys :)

There are free sw in internet for viewing the skies.. from everywhere.. at anytime..

If you have good binoculars or a small telescope, Uranus is very close to Jupiter right now. If you have never seen Uranus, this is a good opportunity.

phepsy1234 said:
There are free sw in internet for viewing the skies.. from everywhere.. at anytime..

What is SW ?

Software.

Programs that work out where the stars and planets are.

and where can I get that free software please ?

Jadaav said:
and where can I get that free software please ?

I like Stellarium.
http://www.stellarium.org/"

Last edited by a moderator:
DaleSwanson said:
I like Stellarium.

Thank, sounds cool:)

DaleSwanson said:
I like Stellarium.

I tried Stellarium with Windows XP and I got a very spectacular crash. Is anyone using it with XP and getting it to work OK?

I just loaded it into XP with no problems. Seems to run fine.

Thanks for that.

I tried it on a different computer and it works well. Nice program.

vk6kro said:
I tried Stellarium with Windows XP and I got a very spectacular crash. Is anyone using it with XP and getting it to work OK?

I'm running on Windows 7 32 bit now haven't installed Stellarium yet, but will tell you if I get a crash.

1. What are the two bright objects in the sky?

The two bright objects in the sky are Venus and another celestial body, such as a star or planet.

2. How can I identify which one is Venus?

Venus is the second planet from the Sun and is often referred to as the "morning star" or "evening star" due to its brightness in the sky. It can be easily identified by its distinctively bright and steady appearance.

3. What makes Venus appear so bright in the sky?

Venus appears bright in the sky due to its thick atmosphere, which reflects and scatters sunlight, making it visible to the naked eye. It is also one of the closest planets to Earth, which contributes to its brightness.

4. Is Venus always visible in the sky?

Yes, Venus is one of the brightest objects in the night sky and is typically visible throughout the year. However, its visibility may vary depending on its position in its orbit around the Sun and Earth's position in its orbit.

5. Are there any other objects that can be mistaken for Venus?

Yes, there are other objects in the sky that can be mistaken for Venus, such as other planets like Jupiter or Mars, or even bright stars like Sirius. However, Venus can be easily distinguished by its steady and bright appearance compared to other celestial bodies.