2 Bright things in the sky. Which 1 is Venus? And what's the other object?

• Thread starter johnnya
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I was just wondering if some astronomers here could help me indentify 2 bright things in the sky. I'm not an astronomer, but I'm quite interested in the subject.

One of these things can be seen at about 6.00 P.M. to about 10.30 P.M. where I'm from (Southern Europe). It shows up in the west. I was always taught that the brightest star in the sky is not a star, it's venus, so I always thought that this thing was venus.

But recently I started seeing another object which is even brighter than the first thing (which I thought to be venus). This thing is very bright, and it can be seen at about 3.30 A.M. to 6.00 A.M.. It shows up in the east, and then it stops showing when the sun rises.

My questions are...

Which one is venus, and what do you think the other thing is? Is it mars?

Thanks in advance! :)

Answers and Replies

In the east at the start of the night at the moment it's probably mars - venus isn't up at night in the northern hemishere right now

check out http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/
At the start of the night the object that I see shows up in the west, it's the other object (the brighter one) that's to be seen at the east (in the early morning).

vk6kro
Science Advisor
I have the following rise and set times for some of the planets:

Mercury rises 3:59 am, sets 5:54 pm

Venus rises 2:21 am, sets 3:46 pm

Mars rises 5:50 am, sets 8:03 pm

Jupiter rises 11:19 am, sets 11:39 pm

Saturn rises 12:33 am, sets 1:02 pm

These are for Dec 31st and for West Australia, but the times should be similar elsewhere.

It looks like your evening object is Jupiter and the morning one is Venus.

There is a very nice (and now free) program called Skyglobe. If you can get a copy of this, it is handy for this.

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
From the times, I'd guess that the first object you mention is Jupiter and the second brighter object is Venus.

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Venus is the brightest celestial object in the Sky (not including the Sun and the Moon!), followed by Jupiter, Sirius (the Dog Star), and Mars (although Mars occasionally outshines Sirius when Mars makes its closest approach to Earth). Venus is real cool :cool:to look at when it is at its closest approach to earth...big and bright.:bugeye:

russ_watters
Mentor
Janus is correct: Jupiter in the evening, Venus in the morning.

Thanks for the help guys :)

There are free sw in internet for viewing the skies.. from everywhere.. at anytime..

If you have good binoculars or a small telescope, Uranus is very close to Jupiter right now. If you have never seen Uranus, this is a good opportunity.

There are free sw in internet for viewing the skies.. from everywhere.. at anytime..
What is SW ?

vk6kro
Science Advisor
Software.

Programs that work out where the stars and planets are.

and where can I get that free software please ?

and where can I get that free software please ?
I like Stellarium.
http://www.stellarium.org/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Stellarium.
Thank, sounds cool:)

vk6kro
Science Advisor
I like Stellarium.
I tried Stellarium with Windows XP and I got a very spectacular crash. Is anyone using it with XP and getting it to work OK?

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just loaded it into XP with no problems. Seems to run fine.

vk6kro
Science Advisor
Thanks for that.

I tried it on a different computer and it works well. Nice program.

I tried Stellarium with Windows XP and I got a very spectacular crash. Is anyone using it with XP and getting it to work OK?
I'm running on Windows 7 32 bit now haven't installed Stellarium yet, but will tell you if I get a crash.